Codemasters F1 2011 - F1Technical Leagues

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What platform do you own this game for?

Xbox 360
13%
Playstation 3
50%
Windows (Steam)
38%

Total votes: 24

Princey

Re: Codemasters F1 2011 - F1Technical Leagues

I would be up for ps3 races when I could.. I am all for no aids but wouldn't restrict it to manual because I tend to use auto as I agree with Beelsebob when it comes to the feeling with what gear to be in.. I have a Logitech wheel (the gran tourismo one) It works pretty well and I have set my flappy paddles to kers and drs. l also built a frame for it (the wife doesn't approve but I made it so it disassembles) I use one of those gaming rocker chairs within the frame which has a sub and speakers in.. All in all it works nicely and was a lot cheaper than buying one of the pre made frames etc.

You can get through the tunnel at Monaco with DRS no problem ;)

Eau Rouge is another story...
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.

SiLo

I would be up for some PS3 races, haven't played for a while and am used to Auto, but I'm sure I could try Manual. I played 2010 much more but got annoyed at the players online who would just crash into you for no reason.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

Looks like we have a decent amount of PS3 users up for this.
Maybe we could do a season, 1 race at a time, with the results posted on here to keep a table running.

How many people are in favour of

40% race distance (18 laps at Spa, 23laps Albert Park)
Equal Cars
Auto gears Allowed
All other Assists banned ?

Or maybe allow a low amount of TC & ABS ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

beelsebob

NathanOlder wrote:Looks like we have a decent amount of PS3 users up for this.
Maybe we could do a season, 1 race at a time, with the results posted on here to keep a table running.

How many people are in favour of

40% race distance (18 laps at Spa, 23laps Albert Park)
Equal Cars
Auto gears Allowed
All other Assists banned ?

Or maybe allow a low amount of TC & ABS ?
Nah, TC & ABS are for cheats quite frankly.

bhall

I don't know about that.

I played Gran Turismo for so long, across three different consoles, that I will likely never be able to use a PS3 controller for a driving game without reassigning the controls so that the square button controls the accelerator and the X button controls the brakes. So, while the trigger buttons do provide immeasurably more finesse than the pad buttons, I simply cannot use them to drive. Sadly, that then pretty much renders TCS and ABS mandatory for me.

It's a shame, too. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the driving pleasure. That's why I looked around for a controller like the one I mentioned earlier in the thread.

beelsebob

bhallg2k wrote:I don't know about that.

I played Gran Turismo for so long, across three different consoles, that I will likely never be able to use a PS3 controller for a driving game without reassigning the controls so that the square button controls the accelerator and the X button controls the brakes. So, while the trigger buttons do provide immeasurably more finesse than the pad buttons, I simply cannot use them to drive. Sadly, that then pretty much renders TCS and ABS mandatory for me.

It's a shame, too. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the driving pleasure. That's why I looked around for a controller like the one I mentioned earlier in the thread.
Ah, if you're using a controller, then I can see your point. If you're space constrained, I would *highly* recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/209262-Logitech ... B003D1YO3C

It doesn't take a lot of space up, it does force feedback, the only downside, as I mentioned earlier is that manual gears are pretty much impossible, but otherwise, it's great.

Giblet

Here is another wheel for the space constrained. Its a PC wheel though.

Its wireless, and you just hold it in your hands and it attaches to nothing.

http://www.simraceway.com/srw-s1_steeri ... ?locale=en

$119.

Another option for the space constrained that I helped a disabled iRacer with a birth defect (short arms) find and use to great effect is an RC car pistol grip style controller, familiar to many. The trigger gets pulled for gas, and pushed for brake, so you can't do both, but if you are used to pushing buttons shouldn't be a biggie. Heck, Barichello only learned left foot braking a few years ago at Brawn.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/d ... _id=100404
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Princey

This is my home made frame.. It does the trick.. Needs a bit more downforce though ;)

GSBellew

I'm on PS3 & would certainly be interested in at least having a few clean races with others on here.

I use a Driving force GT wheel on a homemade stand, although i have to make do with sitting on the sofa rather than in a racing seat. :(

NathanOlder

@Beelsebob

I agree, TC & ABS are for "cheats" as you put it. As are Auto gears.

Im more than happy to race withh all Assists banned and Manual gears only.

Real racing.

How about a friendly race for a warm up, PS3 Sunday morning UK time. After the Chinese Grand Prix.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Princey

@NathanOlder i dont think the auto gearing is cheating per say.. I don't use it just for a lack of feel.. It's more a robotic action which seems kinda pointless.. the aids are though.. Because they are changing the whole driving experience.. Although I guess the auto gears are in that sense.. Haha maybe I need to rethink my approach to the game, I will need to practice though as I don't usually use them, do you use a wheel and pedals etc?

Pierce89

I think TC and ABS off but allow automatic gear-changing. The paddles on my wheel have ZERO feel,and I never end up in the gear I want. What irritates me no end is: You get to a room and its restricted to manual gear change, but everyone is running full TC and ABS.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Websta

Auto gear changing makes racing much harder I have found, especially if you have TC off or on medium. As for TC and ABS being for cheats, TC slows you down a lot. There is no way a driver in the dry with TC on could drive as fast as one without. I would be quite impressed by a driver outpacing me with the driver aids on if I had them disabled.

Maelstrom

Princey wrote:Image

This is my home made frame.. It does the trick.. Needs a bit more downforce though ;)
Wow.. thats quite impressive.

ParanoiD

If you all set on PS3, I will try to revive my YOD-ed PS3 so I can join the league :)

If you want to build racing rig, I will recommend checking out here -> http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138156
Ay Carumba!