In Season Test 1: Mugello, Italy - 01 to 03 May 2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: In Season Test 1: Mugello, Italy - 01 to 03 May 2012

raymondu999 wrote:Cheers guys - thanks.

IS it all dry running so far?
A little wet this morning, residual from this morning. But has basically been dry all morning. Should be dry today & tomorrow.

Spankyham

raymondu999 wrote:Cheers guys - thanks.

IS it all dry running so far?
One weather site this morning listed a chance of rain in the early afternoon, otherwise dry today and tomorrow.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

zoro_f1

the track is dry. perfect conditions for testing. :)

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Mandrake

bhallg2k wrote:If you wanted to test the differences between two different specs of tires, you'd make two runs, one with each full set. Otherwise, the data collected will be badly skewed, because F1 cars have four wheels, so four tires are required to gather a complete profile of their performance.

Hopefully JT will be around at some point to tell me just how wrong I am.

EDIT: Could the green marking actually be Flo-vis?
Have the wet tires changed from last year? If not, they could be using 2011 and 2012 tires together to use up old outdated rubber from last year....

raymondu999

What are McLaren and Red Bull trying to do? They've done half the laps of some of the other teams
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Spankyham

raymondu999 wrote:What are McLaren and Red Bull trying to do? They've done half the laps of some of the other teams
Shouldn't that be "what are McLaren and Red Bull trying not to do?" :lol:
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Crucial_Xtreme

zoro_f1 wrote:the track is dry. perfect conditions for testing. :)
You taking any videos Zoro?

Forza

Mandrake wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:If you wanted to test the differences between two different specs of tires, you'd make two runs, one with each full set. Otherwise, the data collected will be badly skewed, because F1 cars have four wheels, so four tires are required to gather a complete profile of their performance.

Hopefully JT will be around at some point to tell me just how wrong I am.

EDIT: Could the green marking actually be Flo-vis?
Have the wet tires changed from last year? If not, they could be using 2011 and 2012 tires together to use up old outdated rubber from last year....
They are 2012 spec tyres. The only thing is that some were produce before they decided on 2012 tyre markings. The only difference is that some few months older than others. This question was put to Pirelli yesterday.
Pirelli_Media
Be assured they are all 2012 specs, only that they got the colours put on before our marketing folks decided to change them for 2012!

AnthonyG

Is there allready sign of some teams implementing the Mercedes F-duct?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

raymondu999

The McLaren thread is already speculating that the McLaren is already sporting a DDRS system - with seemingly fatter endplates

General testing question, sorry - even in yesterday's weather (pre-redflag) wouldn't teams have still been able to do constant speed aero runs too? I can't imagine water being there would disrupt constant speed runs. I mean isn't a constant speed aero run basically a superfancy, super accurate (super expensive too) wind tunnel test?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

prince

When you look at live timings from f1tests.co.cc, things are really strange. There is not one driver whose timing goes down as the laps progress. Drivers are starting at a certain laptime, goes a little slower than that, comes back to similar times as they started and in some cases, goes even faster than they started !!! Does it mean, all the teams have CONQUERED tyre degration? OR just that everyone is underperforming in the starting lapses?

motobaleno

prince wrote:When you look at live timings from f1tests.co.cc, things are really strange. There is not one driver whose timing goes down as the laps progress. Drivers are starting at a certain laptime, goes a little slower than that, comes back to similar times as they started and in some cases, goes even faster than they started !!! Does it mean, all the teams have CONQUERED tyre degration? OR just that everyone is underperforming in the starting lapses?
I fear that first hypothesis is a little bit unrealistic

AnthonyG

What's going on at Force India?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

elFranZ

they're reporting some reliability issues on Twitter, should be back before session ends.

Crucial_Xtreme

I posted in the car thread too, but Caterham's new McLaren style exhaust