In Season Test 1: Mugello, Italy - 01 to 03 May 2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
boson

Re: In Season Test 1: Mugello, Italy - 01 to 03 May 2012

FrukostScones wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:I know the attendance costs are different, but it's kind of ironic to see more people in the stands for a test than for some actual GP weekends.
Holiday I think.
21,50 Euro I think :mrgreen:
That and Mugello is an incredible racetrack for spectators. I went there for the MotoGP weekend last year and was blown away. Its in a natural bowl, so you can be close the track and see a good 2/3 of the circuit well, as well as getting the reverberations bouncing everywhere. We turned up on the friday and went to the town by the circuit and were buzzing simply from the noise echoing around the local hills! I'd pay 21.50 to see/hear F1 cars there, no doubt at all!

Adamski

Hey guys, what do you think about the lap times?

In winter testing, I was deeply analyse the Mercedes lap times and can noticed, that they have bigger tire degradation, than their competitors. But this three day, there are no massive drop off in the times, moreover it is exactly a different situation.

In the stints, they are going even faster and faster, or doing consistent lap times, and at the final lap of the stint, they post an individual record. This is something I'm really interested in.

I think it's very hard to know now, what they are doing, but one thing is clear for me, that Mercedes is on a higher fuel level.

*Edit: I know, it's a very different ground to Barcelona's race track, but anyway, is it possible to make such big difference just simply the track?
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

zyphro

Adamski wrote:Hey guys, what do you think about the lap times?

In winter testing, I was deeply analyse the Mercedes lap times and can noticed, that they have bigger tire degradation, than their competitors. But this three day, there are no massive drop off in the times, moreover it is exactly a different situation.

In the stints, they are going even faster and faster, or doing consistent lap times, and at the final lap of the stint, they post an individual record. This is something I'm really interested in.

I think it's very hard to know now, what they are doing, but one thing is clear for me, that Mercedes is on a higher fuel level.

*Edit: I know, it's a very different ground to Barcelona's race track, but anyway, is it possible to make such big difference just simply the track?
I agree, something funny going on here.

MSC07-JCGX

zyphro wrote:
MSC07-JCGX wrote:...
And did you bother looking at my reply to that post?

It is ridiculous to think they would scrap that innovation, having spent so much time on it.
i did but just curios init

Mr.G

Re: Ferrari F2012

1 R. Grosjean Lotus 1:21.035
2 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:21.267
3 F. Alonso Ferrari 1:21.363

Do we know on what types of tyres was this three drivers?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Lorenzo_Bandini

Alonso hard
Vettel medium

Mazdaboy

Mr.G wrote:1 R. Grosjean Lotus 1:21.035

Alonso drive on hard tyres in the morning, before he fall out. Then run his best time.
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Spankyham

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Alonso hard
Vettel medium
Beat me to it, that's what I thought
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

andreag

Used tyres.

They can do 1:19.7-1:19.8 with new tyres. Then times around 1.5 second slower aren't so important to be concerned about compounds or fuel loads.

zyphro

Spankyham wrote:...

Really? The times are pretty good for something awful :)
Relative to whom?

desl

Grosjean hard
Vettel medium
Alonso hard

earlier this day:

Vettel with hard tyres: 1:21.505
Grosjean with medium tyres: 1:21.334
Alonso with medium tyres: 1.21.772

prince

zyphro wrote:

Possible hypothesis. You choose what you think is right.
1. All teams have conquered tyre wear. Highly unlikely though.
2. Mugello track is alergic to rubber and hence has no apptetive towards tyre rubber.
3. Mugello track is made of glass.
4. Teams are genuinely underperforming in the starting laps and then showing consistency in underperforming, before bolting a possible fast lap and immediately return to pits.
5. Mugello doesn't have turns which put lot of pressure on tyres and hence tyre wear is quite negligible.
6. Teams are wasting time, money and importantly fuel.

Given the evidence of this year's all four races, it is unimaginable that a car can maintain consistency in laptimes through out a stint and heavenly impossible to improve times over a stint. My take is that, drivers are going super easy in the beginning lap and then trying to extract full potential at the fag end of a stint. Is this Formula One that we all love so much? Hard core racing, pushing the man and machine to the limit? With these tyres made of cheese, so called GREAT drivers are nurturing the tyres as if they are baby sitting them. If this continues to be the case, instead of drivers losing weight due to strong G forces, they will start gaining after each race.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

banibhusan

Forget about the Merc. Even the Caterham is setting consistent lap times. :D

zyphro

prince wrote:
zyphro wrote:

Possible hypothesis. You choose what you think is right.
1. All teams have conquered tyre wear. Highly unlikely though.
2. Mugello track is alergic to rubber and hence has no apptetive towards tyre rubber.
3. Mugello track is made of glass.
4. Teams are genuinely underperforming in the starting laps and then showing consistency in underperforming, before bolting a possible fast lap and immediately return to pits.
5. Mugello doesn't have turns which put lot of pressure on tyres and hence tyre wear is quite negligible.
6. Teams are wasting time, money and importantly fuel.

Given the evidence of this year's all four races, it is unimaginable that a car can maintain consistency in laptimes through out a stint and heavenly impossible to improve times over a stint. My take is that, drivers are going super easy in the beginning lap and then trying to extract full potential at the fag end of a stint. Is this Formula One that we all love so much? Hard core racing, pushing the man and machine to the limit? With these tyres made of cheese, so called GREAT drivers are nurturing the tyres as if they are baby sitting them. If this continues to be the case, instead of drivers losing weight due to strong G forces, they will start gaining after each race.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I agree, if that's true; it'll turn me off from watching F1 somewhat.

banibhusan

Seems like a quali shoot-out is going to happen now. Most of the cars are on track. :D