Hamilton vs Button Challenges

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Hamilton vs Button - Blind lap

Yeah it is.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

GrizzleBoy

Jenson was having problems with KERS.

mnmracer

GrizzleBoy wrote:Jenson was having problems with KERS.
:lol:

Nando

Even corrected the car at one point, and you could see Hamilton in the super fast right hander sawing away at the wheel making sure he´s centimeters from the white line.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

NathanOlder

marcush. wrote:astonishing how big the difference is...i remember something similar with Senna (?)years ago and he was a tenth away from his actual time..

I only remember Fissi doing this at Monaco, and he was a tenth off his actual Quali lap. Dont remember Senna doing it ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Maelstrom

Nando wrote:Even corrected the car at one point, and you could see Hamilton in the super fast right hander sawing away at the wheel making sure he´s centimeters from the white line.
Just shows how well they must be visualising the track. It's quite interesting to see.

raymondu999

I'm willing to bet that most of the difference between their blind time and their real time came mostly from the straights, by spending too much or too little time. Alonso did one a while ago too - I think of his 2008 or 2009 quali lap. But it was never shown head-on as such.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

Yea i would say that is probably an accurate statement.
1km straights ought to give some variation in time when visualizing rather then a high speed corner or short straights in between as you can go by gearshifts there.

I find it interesting that Hamilton looks to be much more focused, a little more in "the zone" then Button.

Probably that is where some of the time deficit lies between the two.

raymondu999

Well Button's style always makes him look very easygoing/relaxed though. Hamilton's style always LOOKS more intense (regardless of whether or not it really is more intense)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Maelstrom

I also noticed that Button is much more... smoother if thats the right word. His movements are gradual and Hamilton's seem more jerky and on the edge.

Underlines their driving styles I suppose.

raymondu999

Yep - I posted that vid a while ago in the driver styles/preferences thread too just for that very purpose
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Maelstrom

Would love to see Schumacher doing a similar test. Alonso too. :)

Nando

Or Maldo when he bins it halfway :)
He probably knows excatly how long it takes for marshalls to reach the car as well.

Maelstrom

Nando wrote:Or Maldo when he bins it halfway :)
He probably knows excatly how long it takes for marshalls to reach the car as well.
Atleast he's crashing out on the final laps. Look at Grosjean!

jdlive

bhallg2k wrote:I think anyone who spends any amount of time even playing a video game could do this. It's not the recall of a track that separates F1 drivers from the rest of us; it's the clinically precise, lightning quick and deadly consistent reactions they display in real-world conditions around the track.

EDIT: If it hadn't inexplicably taken me ten minutes to write those two sentences, this sentiment would not seem like an oddly absent-minded agreement of the one before it.
Don't overrate their skill though. The cars are relatively easy to drive. It's not WRC level skill we're talking about here.

Recently a DTM-driver (or whatever touring car class) drove an F1 car for the first time in the Red Bull simulator and beat Coulthard's lap time. A similar thing occurred with the winner of the Belgian Red Bull Karting competition beating a then current F1 driver.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."