Hamilton vs Button Challenges

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fred444

Re: Hamilton vs Button - Blind lap

There is one of alonso on youtube somewhere!!

He got within a second if I remember. It was VERY VERY impressive.

FemiA

jdlive wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:I think anyone who spends any amount of time even playing a video game could do this. It's not the recall of a track that separates F1 drivers from the rest of us; it's the clinically precise, lightning quick and deadly consistent reactions they display in real-world conditions around the track.

EDIT: If it hadn't inexplicably taken me ten minutes to write those two sentences, this sentiment would not seem like an oddly absent-minded agreement of the one before it.
Don't overrate their skill though. The cars are relatively easy to drive. It's not WRC level skill we're talking about here.

Recently a DTM-driver (or whatever touring car class) drove an F1 car for the first time in the Red Bull simulator and beat Coulthard's lap time. A similar thing occurred with the winner of the Belgian Red Bull Karting competition beating a then current F1 driver.
Strange, I then wonder why F1 drivers are described as the best in the world...

jdlive

Some of them may be among the best racing drivers in the world, others not so much, we won't know who belongs where unless they go drive in classes that don't rely on massive downforce.

All relative of course since they clearly all are among the best drivers around.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Fred444

Dont MS and SV for the germany team usually clear up at the RoC?

I might be wrong, but seem to remember MS usually dominated every race he enters in it, even in a rally car.

Mistakes are messing about aside, on the whole I mean he dominates it.

jdlive

Fred444 wrote:Dont MS and SV for the germany team usually clear up at the RoC?

I might be wrong, but seem to remember MS usually dominated every race he enters in it, even in a rally car.

Mistakes are messing about aside, on the whole I mean he dominates it.
That I would consider indicative of absolute TOP. Using F1 as the only barometer is kind of pointless since these cars are "all aero" instead of "all driver".
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Fred444

I have just looked and for the last 5 years MS and SV have won it (the nations cup part of it) for Germany.

Which says soemthing about top F1 drivers in my opinion.

Maelstrom

There's a reason why F1 is considered the pinnacle in motorsport racing. The drivers that drive it are also the best. Thats why they are the highest paid too.

Nando

Well the individual competition haven´t been won by an F1 driver for the past 7 years.

2011 - Ogier - WRC (schumacher beaten in semifinals)
2010 - Filipe - open wheeler (vettel beaten in semifinals)
2009 - Ekström - DTM (schumacher beaten in finals)
2008 - Loeb - WRC (coulthard beaten in finals)
2007 - Ekström - DTM (schumacher beaten in finals)
2006 - Ekström - DTM (kovalainen beaten in semifinals)
2005 - Krist.. - LeM (kovalainen beaten in finals)

2004 was a split event with rally drivers doing rally cars and tarmac runners did their own competition.

They are not the quickest men in motorsport.
They are the quickest men in open wheelers though.
Last edited by Nando on 10 Apr 2012, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Embedded for convenience
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hl_NO4Acyo[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

He´s even setting the brake bias :)

Ganxxta

And here the same lap in direct comparison to his real lap:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytVotTk2QU[/youtube]

marcush.

Nando wrote:Well the individual competition haven´t been won by an F1 driver for the past 7 years.

2011 - Ogier - WRC (schumacher beaten in semifinals)
2010 - Filipe - open wheeler (vettel beaten in semifinals)
2009 - Ekström - DTM (schumacher beaten in finals)
2008 - Loeb - WRC (coulthard beaten in finals)
2007 - Ekström - DTM (schumacher beaten in finals)
2006 - Ekström - DTM (kovalainen beaten in semifinals)
2005 - Krist.. - LeM (kovalainen beaten in finals)

2004 was a split event with rally drivers doing rally cars and tarmac runners did their own competition.

They are not the quickest men in motorsport.
They are the quickest men in open wheelers though.
ROC is closer to a rally stage than a qualy lap ,let alone a race .Maybe that´s mixing up the order to some extend.Formula 1 is not just driving around in circles a squick as possible and usually a rally driver does not encounter competitors on the same piece of tarmac fighting for position. different talents there.

Nando

It´s two different ball games.

PlatinumZealot

Maelstrom wrote:I also noticed that Button is much more... smoother if thats the right word. His movements are gradual and Hamilton's seem more jerky and on the edge.

Underlines their driving styles I suppose.
I think he is emulating the G-forces that is why he jerks the wheel. Very detailed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤