30th Anniversary Gilles Villeneuve, a true legend

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fritticaldi

Re: 30th Anniversary Gilles Villeneuve, a true legend.

Thank you for the wonderful article and photos strad. I remember there was a story saying that if the GPA helmet Villeneuve was using would have stayed on he may have walked away. Apparently when he as ejected from the Ferrari his head hit the steel part of the catch fencing. Could anyone shed some light on this? Or was Villeneuve already dead from the impact with the March car of Jochen Mass when his body was hurtling in the air with his racing seat attached to him?

xpensive

This is pure racing magic, still brings tears to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kre35Pct0yA
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bhall

xpensive wrote:This is pure racing magic, still brings tears to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kre35Pct0yA
In some ways, I really don't want to see video clips of stuff like that. It just hammers home the point even more that my age has robbed me of witnessing some truly special racing.

xpensive

I still remember what I did that day, in military service that summer. Swedish television did not show the race, too early after Ronnie's death the year before I guess, but those images were on every newscast all evening, simply breathtaking.

ecapox

The video is GD amazing. One of my favorites. Now we would have people cutting across the track to stop from being passed and by the second time they were 2 wide, now we would have an accident with each person blaming the other.

On the other hand, it is because things like this are rare that they become a thing of legends.

You cannot try to duplicate this. It is legendary because it was hard, great driving, and a rare occurrence.

strad

I won't post the video of his crash, but suffice to say it was horrendous and he was throw thru the catch fencing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Hail22

strad wrote:I won't post the video of his crash, but suffice to say it was horrendous and he was throw thru the catch fencing.
That would be much appreciated that you don't post that video.

This is a positive/affectionate memorial page, as much as its informative it would tarnish the beauty of this great mans driving/passion.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

bdr529

This is Gilles as I remember him most

xpensive

Hail22 wrote:
strad wrote:I won't post the video of his crash, but suffice to say it was horrendous and he was throw thru the catch fencing.
That would be much appreciated that you don't post that video.

This is a positive/affectionate memorial page, as much as its informative it would tarnish the beauty of this great mans driving/passion.
Indeed, moreover I'm xtremely happy not having to see those "RIP" liners, which usually pollutes threads like this.

raymondu999

A great legend, a great man, and a great loss indeed. I especially loved his super flamboyant driving style, and how despite that the man seemed to have a knack for tyre preservation. His fantastic drives really were amazing - how he could hold off faster cars for (almost) entire race distances. A gentleman too - considering how readily he supported Sheckter that year, fully trusting that Sheckter would have repaid the favor the next year.

People go on about how Senna outqualified Prost by, what was it? A second? At monaco. Then I remember how Gilles outqualified the rest of the field by 9 or 11 seconds. I don't remember when or where that was unfortunately.

I know I'm probably in a small minority here - but in my eyes I have always held him in equal regard to Senna as the two greatest drivers to have entered and left the sport, the two edging out Jim Clark (a close 3rd in my list)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Reventon

that link doesn't work, but this one should :
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... al_id=1326
some nice pics on there.

strad

This link should lead you to some CBC interviews with Gilles.
http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/s ... beach.html
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Shrieker

Thanks a lot strad, some stuff I've never seen before, definitely interesting, and touching. Especially the part here where later on in the interview he's asked a question and talks about Jacques. He would've been proud of him.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk