30th Anniversary Gilles Villeneuve, a true legend

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bdr529

Re: 30th Anniversary Gilles Villeneuve, a true legend.

raymondu999 wrote:A great legend, a great man, and a great loss indeed. I especially loved his super flamboyant driving style, and how despite that the man seemed to have a knack for tyre preservation. His fantastic drives really were amazing - how he could hold off faster cars for (almost) entire race distances. A gentleman too - considering how readily he supported Sheckter that year, fully trusting that Sheckter would have repaid the favor the next year.

People go on about how Senna outqualified Prost by, what was it? A second? At monaco. Then I remember how Gilles outqualified the rest of the field by 9 or 11 seconds. I don't remember when or where that was unfortunately
1979 USGP East at Watkins Glen, friday practice in the wet(very)
only 5-6 cars went out for practice due to the heavy rain. Scheckter being one of them came into the pits thinking he was the fastest, and he was, 3sec. faster then the others but then was told the Gilles was 9 sec. faster then him. the drivers that didn't go out for practice stood along pitlane just to watch Gilles, they say they could hear him spinning the tires in 5 gear on the back side of the track. Thats how I remember it, my numbers might be off a little, but forgive me I'm Canadian

Nigel Roebuck had this to say about that day: "Gilles was the one bloke who made you go and look for a corner in a practice session, because you knew that where everybody else would go through it as if on rails, Gilles would be worth watching. That day in the rain at Watkins Glen was almost beyond belief. It truly was.

"You would think he had 300 horsepower more than anybody else. It just didn't seem possible. The speed he was travelling at didn't bear any relation to anybody else. He was 11 seconds faster. Jody was next fastest and couldn't believe it, saying he had scared himself rigid! I remember [Jacques] Laffite in the pits just giggling when Gilles went past and saying, 'Why do we bother? He's different from the rest of us. On a separate level'."

mx_tifoso

Re: 30th Anniversary Gilles Villeneuve, a true legend.

I'm not 100% sure anymore if it was in fact one of Villeneuve's car at this point, but a professor from a few years back showed me pics of here sitting in one of his Ferrari's. The car belonged to a boyfriend of hers from back then.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Hail22

Re: 30th Anniversary Gilles Villeneuve, a true legend

Thank you for fixing this thread by putting it back where it belonged Mx_Tifoso.

I think Ferrari like Williams always keep both primary and second drivers cars after each season no?

In order to retain for historic/priceless status?

But back on Gilles, he would be the type who would attack himself let a lone everyone around him in order to make himself better.

He loved being able to control and handle a car with power rather then having a car with down right straight line speed.

God I miss him...Highlights reel at home time...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Sombrero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzYWUX80Yc

Italian spoken (often by Gilles himself) and japanese subtile. Unfortunately poor quality.

mx_tifoso

strad

Thanks MX. Another to add to my collection. Hamilton is of course correct in that every time he went out you wondered when more than if and thus weren't shocked.
Where Clark was a hero, Gilles was lovable. Clark I'm told was friendly enough, but his shyness made him seem aloof and apart, whereas Gilles seemed I think, like an ordinary guy you might know.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Hail22

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18690210

I quite liked reading this...perhaps some of you may share the same views? :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

strad

=D> =D> Thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

I enjoyed reading it. But didn't enjoy that he was all the way down in 12th :lol:

As I've said above - Gilles to me is tied in 1st place with Senna.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:I enjoyed reading it. But didn't enjoy that he was all the way down in 12th :lol:

Although Gilles didn't win a WDC..to me he is a real "Formula 1" driver, his wise words and love of the car is what lead to my father naming me after him, to this day I don't think there is anyone a part from Ayrton Senna and Gilles that can stain your memory for the rest of your life with absolutely beautiful moments...Legends forever...
:)

Gilles Villeneuve

SeijaKessen

Hail22 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I enjoyed reading it. But didn't enjoy that he was all the way down in 12th :lol:

Although Gilles didn't win a WDC..to me he is a real "Formula 1" driver, his wise words and love of the car is what lead to my father naming me after him, to this day I don't think there is anyone a part from Ayrton Senna and Gilles that can stain your memory for the rest of your life with absolutely beautiful moments...Legends forever...
:)
Well said Hail.

Back in May, a friend of mine asked me to sum up Gilles in one sentence. That was the most difficult single sentence I ever had to come up with because what I said was, how do you sum up someone like Gilles in one sentence?

What I ultimately said was, "To put it simply...Gilles, was spectacular."

I find it shame we never got to see Gilles and Ayrton battle it out together.

Could you imagine how epic/insane it would have been to watch those two going wheel-to-wheel in the mid-80s?

mx_tifoso

Nah, lets leave Gilles in his own world and on a separate level. Besides, I feel like Senna would have played dirty and shunted him off track.

RIP Gilles.

Hail22

Gilles Villeneuve

strad

God I loved him...You make me cry.
Sir Stirling Moss

Hail22

strad wrote:God I loved him...You make me cry.

You're telling me, I was choking back tears while watching it mate...He looked up to Ronnie P... :cry:

Gilles Villeneuve