Stupidest racing quote?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gray41

Re: Stupidest racing quote?

mikeerfol wrote:
gray41 wrote:"Weeeeeeee are the champions, myyyy friennnddd" Jenson Button 2009

:-"
Was is ok when Alonso said it? :-"
Hmmm, I think I preferred the less off key rendition by Alonso.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

McMrocks

Stupidest racing quote ever: "Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines". Pretty much explains the problem in the car industry- they give a --- on aerodynamics. A Ferrari is build the same way as a FIAT- a designer draws lines that look aesthetic. Aerodynamicans play a minor role in the developement process.
(ok Ferrari fans, calm down it is not only Ferrari, all other cars are build the same way)

If I see RW on normal FWD road cars i get sick. It may make sense in racing but it is utterly bullshit on a road car which purpose it is to travel from A to B with the least amount of fuel used

bill shoe

"For me it wasn't a risky situation" -- Rosberg after intentionally hitting Hamilton at Spa

Facts Only

"There's no replacement for Displacement" not sure who said it but they obviously hadn't heard of forced induction.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

cherok1212

"He arrived inexperienced, so initially a lot was me developing the car...", Jenson Button about Magnusson. Glad to see Jenson taking responsibility for the Macca tractor.
If consistently being 7/10ths faster than you is a "mind game", then yes Jenson, Lewis was playing "games" with you.

SteveRacer

Facts Only wrote:"There's no replacement for Displacement" not sure who said it but they obviously hadn't heard of forced induction.
Maybe they were talking about forced induction. A bigger turbo'ed motor is better than a smaller turbo'ed motor?

J.A.W.

BMEP/Piston speed x displacement is perhaps a more meaningful metric?
If it is a 'Formula Libre' scenario..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

xwz
xwz

Heinz Prüller, F1-commenter on Austrian TV from 1965 to 2008:

"Track's completely wet now, except for the tunnel - because it's not raining in the tunnel."

"With mixtures 'hard' and 'extra hard' to choose from, all teams opt for soft, which is hard"

"Hakkinen first, Berger second and third"

"Wurz pits as the last of the top drivers, coming in on P18"

"oooh, terrible crash from Schumacher in the lead! - with Wurz moving up to P15"

"And again Trulli looses his car in that very corner in exactly the same fashion, that's unbelievable!" (commenting on a replay)

"...cannot be compared to the old days, when drivers in Monte Carlo had to manually switch gears 3200 times a lap, and often finished the race with their right hands bleeding and torn off!"
(slip of the tongue - "ausgerissene Hände" instead of "aufgerissene")

"Welcome to the GP of San Marino at the great traditional venue of Imola ladies and gentlemen, where cariot races were held already thousands of years ago."

- His reaction, after it was revealed that he would be retired from commenting F1-races on Austrian Television: "...obviously the guys from ORF think I'm too old, too stupid, and too expensive!"

WaikeCU

"Guys, I'm coming in, I'm having too much grip." - Chanoch Nissany

Ultra

MOWOG wrote:
That's more of a snarky Answers to a stupid question
You can be forgiven for thinking that. But I saw the race live and remember Economaki saying this with a straight face. The man was simply clueless and was perhaps the dumbest motorsports commentator of all time. :(
You say this about Chris Economaki? The most experienced, best American race announcer ever. Really?

The man delivers perfect deadpan sarcasm, you fail to see it and then you label him in a manner more suited to the clueless viewer who fails to recognize the sarcasm.

I fail to be surprised.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

mertol

Facts Only wrote:"There's no replacement for Displacement" not sure who said it but they obviously hadn't heard of forced induction.
The quote is exactly about forced induction and the meaning is that although you can catch up on power with it, you still have turbo lag and worse sound compared to a normally aspirated engine of the same power.

tuj
tuj

If you're not first, you're last.

xpensive

Anything xpressed by Al Unser junior, but Peter Windsor's rap about lazy europeans were also pretty stupid.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FoxHound

I believe this has been used many a time when comparing forced induction cars.
Turbo lag, lack of character and lack of high (in most cases) revs.
JET set