The curious case of Jenson Button

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GrizzleBoy

Re: The curious case of Jenson Button

The post race interview seemed quite revealing imo.

For all the "nice guy/genuine guy/down to earth guy" praise Jenson gets, there were definitely signs of a façade cracking open this weekend.

Emerson.F

GrizzleBoy wrote:The post race interview seemed quite revealing imo.

For all the "nice guy/genuine guy/down to earth guy" praise Jenson gets, there were definitely signs of a façade cracking open this weekend.
This it's startinng too crackle a lot of people saw the real Jensen button today. All across the f1 forums people are noticing it after todays race. (Canada 2011 'what is he doing..')
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

i70q7m7ghw

More like typical racing driver showing through. Team mates, or more specifically racing drivers, are not friends, they are competitors. They can't be both, it doesn't work.

A note on Perez's driving the last two races, did anyone catch the post race chit chat at China? None of the top 3 seemed very impressed with Perez's robust defence.

Regardless of the bickering it's produced, today's overtaking felt more artificial than ever.

GrizzleBoy

Diesel wrote:More like typical racing driver showing through. Team mates, or more specifically racing drivers, are not friends, they are competitors. They can't be both, it doesn't work.

A note on Perez's driving the last two races, did anyone catch the post race chit chat at China? None of the top 3 seemed very impressed with Perez's robust defence.

Regardless of the bickering it's produced, today's overtaking felt more artificial than ever.
We're referring to JB being a devious person and throwing his weight around In public, not his relationship with Perez.

I've always felt he was that way, but it seemed ever more apparent today.

With the way McLaren even used their "tooned" animated series to depict Lewis as a mischevious guy who jumps around like a monkey (that's literally what they had him doing in the intros), failing to mention him as a McLaren world champion when listing all their champions in one episode, while depicting Button as the "cool" guy who helps old ladies across the road (no, they really did that) it kind of made my stomach turn and I'm not even Lewis Hamilton.

Also, with some of the most important overtakes done outside of DRS, I'd say it was less artificial, but yes the tyre strategies still had a large part to play.

example

Some of his comments are really silly and also quite disrespectful.
Like this one "That's things you do in karting but grow out of. Not the case with Checo."

JimClarkFan

GrizzleBoy wrote:
Diesel wrote:More like typical racing driver showing through. Team mates, or more specifically racing drivers, are not friends, they are competitors. They can't be both, it doesn't work.

We're referring to JB being a devious person and throwing his weight around In public, not his relationship with Perez.

With the way McLaren even used their "tooned" animated series to depict Lewis as a mischevious guy who jumps around like a monkey (that's literally what they had him doing in the intros), failing to mention him as a McLaren world champion when listing all their champions in one episode, while depicting Button as the "cool" guy who helps old ladies across the road (no, they really did that) it kind of made my stomach turn and I'm not even Lewis Hamilton.

Also, with some of the most important overtakes done outside of DRS, I'd say it was less artificial, but yes the tyre strategies still had a large part to play.
Do you have a link to that series... there are all kinds of stuff that goes on behind closed doors that nobody see's.

example wrote:Some of his comments are really silly and also quite disrespectful.
Like this one "That's things you do in karting but grow out of. Not the case with Checo."
Yeh, that's not on, and the intention behind that is clear.
He's trying to demonise the young mexican and doing it in a really underhand way - I wonder what his tone would be like had Perez failed to pass him.
What I also didn't like was what he said about Lewis when him and Perez where having a 'get to know each other session'
Button may have lost a fan in me today.

GrizzleBoy

JimClarkFan wrote:
Do you have a link to that series... there are all kinds of stuff that goes on behind closed doors that nobody see's.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsizyNeh2Q[/youtube]

In this episode you basically see all of what I described.

Lewis jumping around like a monkey, naming Jenson as a McLaren world champion instead of Lewis, meanwhile Jenson is helping old ladies cross the road :roll:

example

Haha when I wrote something similar i got storm of negative votes. I must admit, I was a bit unfair to Perez when I said he was dirty.

JimClarkFan

GrizzleBoy wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsizyNeh2Q[/youtube]

In this episode you basically see all of what I described.

Lewis jumping around like a monkey, naming Jenson as a McLaren world champion instead of Lewis, meanwhile Jenson is helping old ladies cross the road :roll:
thanks +1

Phil

JimClarkFan wrote:hhhhmmmm, as a Button fan I must admit that I have not liked his behaviour this weekend.

I felt that Perez raced very well, and at no point did I think that he raced unfairly or deliberately put button in a position where they were going to crash... to my eye it was button who moved over into Perez who was simply holding his ground when they banged wheels.
The way I recall the race, it was Perez who banged into the rear of Button first which was a stupid, over enthusiastic move that shouldn't have happened. I thought this was his prime reason for being upset and it was after this that he started to defend harder (and ruthlessly) against his team mate. I'm not Jensons biggest fan and between him and Perez, I'm not sure who I prefer, but I do think Button has a point and that Perez was a bit overenthusiastic. He reminded me a bit of the Perez in Suzuka last year.

I also think this is something that McLaren could have avoided. If Perez was on fresher tyres and a different strategy, it would have been clever to order Button to make room and to try to maximize both drivers strategies than have them both damage their tyres, strategy and potentially crash out. It was great entertainment though. 8)
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

i70q7m7ghw

GrizzleBoy wrote:

Again, it's all part of the F1 game. They don't just battle on track, they play mind games off track too. This has happened for years, it's nothing new so I don't know why so many of you are so surprised. Button isn't got to win any points for being nice, but he might knock a few out of his team mate with a few mind games.

I much prefer to see drivers being upfront about this ruthlessness. Plastic Vettel has bugged me for some time, but in China he made a step in the right direction and was upfront about his motives for ignoring team orders.

Richard

There seems to be a rather passionate anti-Button vendetta. That's surprising because he seems to be genuinely personable chap.

Yes, he was rattled by the young upstart catching him by surprise but wouldn't we all be rattled if we'd seen Perez's performance of the last 3 races?

All the drivers on the grid have immensely more talent that any of us, their ability to react to situations and judge risk would make any of us look like gibbering idiots. They are also human and make mistakes, just like all of us. I can't see why human fallibility leads to abuse and name calling.

As for Button helping old ladies cross the road while Hamilton plays with gadgets, that's an amusing caricature to be taken with a pinch of salt. Why take it so seriously? Its only PR piffle for lumps of carbon fibre and metal going around in circles.

FYI our esteemed prime minster doesn't actually wear a condom over his head:

.... nor is Thatcher actually capable of rising from the grave:

... and Bush does have two eyes, although I have my suspicions about Blair.

JimClarkFan

richard_leeds wrote:There seems to be a rather passionate anti-Button vendetta. That's surprising because he seems to be genuinely personable chap.

Yes, he was rattled by the young upstart catching him by surprise but wouldn't we all be rattled if we'd seen Perez's performance of the last 3 races?

All the drivers on the grid have immensely more talent that any of us, their ability to react to situations and judge risk would make any of us look like gibbering idiots. They are also human and make mistakes, just like all of us. I can't see why human fallibility leads to abuse and name calling.

As for Button helping old ladies cross the road while Hamilton plays with gadgets, that's an amusing caricature to be taken with a pinch of salt. Why take it so seriously? Its only PR piffle for lumps of carbon fibre and metal going around in circles.

FYI our esteemed prime minster doesn't actually wear a condom over his head

Name calling is not appropriate, expressing dissatisfaction is fine in my view. Though there does seem to be both 'lets get Button' and 'lets get Perez camp.'

Just the way he went about after the race left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, I think I am more understanding today, but still... I felt he should have done it differently.

I think Coultards column on the BBC summed it up well. Coultard is becoming quite a good pundit I feel :D

GrizzleBoy

richard_leeds wrote:There seems to be a rather passionate anti-Button vendetta. That's surprising because he seems to be genuinely personable chap.

http://louconvery.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ltoon3.jpg

.... nor is Thatcher actually capable of rising from the grave:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... 60x333.png

... and Bush does have two eyes, although I have my suspicions about Blair.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/asset_arena ... master.jpg

The second sentence of your opening paragraph is pretty much the very thing we are discussing.

He "seems" to be a very likeable and personable chap (and all the rest of it), sure. So did Vettel have such a squeaky clean general opinion portrayed of him maybe a year or so ago before he stopped pretending/began to let it out.

We are just commenting on what seemed to be a similar unravelling of Button on Sunday.

Also, your attempt at drawing parallels with those images is missing the barn door imo.

There is a difference in motive/consequence between certain imagery being published by your rivals/pundits, and certain imagery being published by your co-workers/employers.

Sure you can shrug things like naming Jenson as a McLaren world champion and snubbing the last actual McLaren world champion as a little thing, but "it's always the little things".

Unless your case was to say that McLaren were Lewis' rivals, in which case you have actually proved my point :lol:

Emerson.F

I'm not quite sure if you watched the race and the BBC and SKY footage where Button and Withmarsh where interviewed because the whole world saw who the Real Jenson Button really is. He does 'seem' like the nice guy that wouldn't hurt a soul, but that can be said for ruthless serial killers and murderers too. Looks can be deceiving and senor Button is quite a good actor as we all know. He knows how too 'Work' the crowd and look like Mr.Perfect "The ideal son-inlaw" type. Good on him.

But.

When you are clearly caught lying about and suggesting your team-mate is being agressive while YOU just ran him off the road you just dropped the ball for me personally and trust me just read the comments after the race on all sites. Everybody has pinged true his 'Good guy' image. He is a sour loser who is willing too undermine not only his team by risking a double DNF braking mid corner in an attempt too stop Checo undercutting him after outbraking and steering him into Turn 4 wich was clearly visible and hearable true the onboards courrtesy of SKY F1 HD!! :). Jenson actually decreased rpm's when he already passed the apex. (wich confirms he was putting himself and Checo's car at risk)

So how dare he claim Checo was being agressive. Button was shamesly blackballing Checo in front of the world too see.
Not only that but the Grand Wizard of this beautifully managed spectacle a certain Mr.Withmarsh was only making himself look more redicolous. So now one day after we see headlines like this:

I rest my case your honor..
Last edited by Richard on 22 Apr 2013, 22:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: In most cases I'd edit or delete a post like this. However, my curiosity about how theer can be so much emotion means I'll leave it. Perhaps an exemplar - there but for the grace of God etc.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag