The curious case of Jenson Button

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
oT v1
oT v1

Re: The curious case of Jenson Button

Alain Frost wrote:You are only as good as or worth what your potential employers think you are. That is the hard fact. Not my opinion.

Personally if he leaves McLaren I would love to see him at Williams as they seem to be stepping in the right direction. Not to offend any Massa fans but him and Bottas can be formidable pairing.
Oh yes i'd love this, and to have a Brit back in a Williams.

I am happy for Massa to get back on the podium and beat Alonso in a new car, must have been sweet, but there have been a few frustrating moments during the year, half from williams rolling their 'what strategy do we use now?' dice, but also Massa should have been more cut throat, in Canada he had a massive chance to get 2nd or even catch RIC if he got past the perez train quicker, or Russia again not passing even though he just came out on fresh rubber.

Massa must be bringing a fair chunk of cash though....
The Power of Dreams

emaren
emaren

I've always thought of Jenson as 'too nice' to be a top flight F1 driver.

I met him a couple of times many years ago and he was just a really nice guy. Driving he never seemed to have that 'killer instinct', way too much of a polite gentleman I think. When he is driving he always looks super smooth and polite.

Put him alongside Alonso and I think that the duo would be a lot more successful than Alonso and Magnusson

sectionate
sectionate

oT v1 wrote:
Alain Frost wrote:You are only as good as or worth what your potential employers think you are. That is the hard fact. Not my opinion.

Personally if he leaves McLaren I would love to see him at Williams as they seem to be stepping in the right direction. Not to offend any Massa fans but him and Bottas can be formidable pairing.

I am happy for Massa to get back on the podium and beat Alonso in a new car, must have been sweet, but there have been a few frustrating moments during the year, half from williams rolling their 'what strategy do we use now?' dice, but also Massa should have been more cut throat, in Canada he had a massive chance to get 2nd or even catch RIC if he got past the perez train quicker, or Russia again not passing even though he just came out on fresh rubber.

I wonder if the years of the Ferrari / Alonso factor have had an effect on him being cut throat. Maybe next year he will be a little bit more as he settles into the Williams team further.

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

Watching that JB vid tells me there is a driver who has just had enough, be it F1 or Ron Dennis I dont know but the spark has gone.

Big shame imo.

SiLo

Probably tired of all the Mclaren crap they pull, like in Austin when they told him to wait so his team mate could pit which lost him time.Or just generally being rubbish when it comes to sorting out their futures.
Felipe Baby!

pob

I think a lot in his change in demeanour this season is just from missing his dad from his entourage (he died in January and attended nearly every race).

Alain Frost
Alain Frost

oT v1 wrote:

Indeed. Too many times this season Williams (and Massa more so than Bottas) let good points slip because of bad strategy. If memory serves right Massa also had consecutive DNFs from being in the wrong place at the wrong time but to blame him for this is unreasonable.
I think a driver like Jenson would have been far more productive. That's just what I think, that doesn't make it true.

I just saw a bit of the F1 news on SSN when I popped into dispatch downstairs and it is defo looking like Jenson is not going to be on the grid next year. It was also great to hear Alonso and Lewis talk so highly of him.

He said he doesn't want to be in F1 if he can't win and as it stands all the "winning teams" are fully booked. Shame.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Gettingonabit wrote:Watching that JB vid tells me there is a driver who has just had enough, be it F1 or Ron Dennis I dont know but the spark has gone.

Big shame imo.
I can see it too, he doesn't care anymore abou pr what happens, he spoke with freedom this weekend which to me signals his time at mclaren is at an end.

I hope he stays around f1, as a driver, but I think he would also be a good driver manager.

SaveMeHollywood
SaveMeHollywood

I want to see Button go to Le Mans. If Porsche puts in a 3rd car, I won't mind seeing Button in Porsche No. 3

His addition to the WEC would also be a great touch and his smooth style and triathlon-ready fitness would be great for Enduro events. This year's 24 hours of Le Mans was a cracker, I could barely bring myself to leave it at any time for fear something might happen.

I mean, going into the final hours, Porsche was actually leading with Audi having to put in qualifying laps to chase them, then it was the other way around (with Webber no less behind the wheel of the sole Porsche 919 remaining).

Button, get in there! 8)

wesley123
wesley123

According to some sources he is going to Toyota.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Duke

Gettingonabit wrote:Watching that JB vid tells me there is a driver who has just had enough, be it F1 or Ron Dennis I dont know but the spark has gone.

Big shame imo.
Yep felt the same way :(

mikeerfol

Porsche have already said they're not talking with Button, if he's going to WEC it's going to be with Toyota possibly.

timbo
timbo

Button leaving F1 means no more Jess photos == Button has to stay!

On a serious note, going to WEC looks like a really nice move, the guy is still fast and his strength were always on strategic side, which should play nicely in endurance racing.

But i hope he stays because of Jess! :oops:

marcush.
marcush.

Honestly speaking ,Mclaren would be wise to start the Honda project with Button and Alonso....Jenson is the best team player you could think of and has a proven record to be easy with primadonna team mates ...Alonso is more than enough for a team to handle..
So one more year for Jenson and a contract offer for Magnussen in year two + reserve driver role would be a fair solution.
If Jenson decides to call it a day after 2015 then ok but he´d have enough time to decide ..
I do not understand the Michibata thing tbh.. As much as I wish Jenson and his girl a healthy sex life it does not affect me if she is in the paddock or not..stunningly Jenson has made no secret of their paddock activities ...sex in motorsports is not something much talked about but if you happen to need a lot of it I reckon being a driver ,and especially a formula 1 driver must be the dream environment .

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Big shame imo.
As said in the silly season thread, JB hasn't had enough of F1, the music has simply stopped and he has been left standing.

Alonso & Magnusson are signed and sealed, the team announcement being deferred until JB announces his 2015 plans, which is only right & fair.