The curious case of Jenson Button

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
foxmulder_ms

Re: The curious case of Jenson Button

I dont get Mclaren, For last years they really screwed up with their moves regarding pilots. Letting Hamilton to go was the first mistake, then hiring of Perez was a mistake, too. Now, letting Button go over Magnussen is another mistake. If they cannot recruit Alonso, they will be in a bad position.

McMrocks

foxmulder_ms wrote:I dont get Mclaren, For last years they really screwed up with their moves regarding pilots. Letting Hamilton to go was the first mistake, then hiring of Perez was a mistake, too. Now, letting Button go over Magnussen is another mistake. If they cannot recruit Alonso, they will be in a bad position.
They will only let Button go if they can recruit Alonso.

marcush.

I don´t think Button will dance to that music much longer ....I´d show them the finger and leave for Toyota winning races.

Jonnycraig

marcush. wrote:I don´t think Button will dance to that music much longer ....I´d show them the finger and leave for Toyota winning races.
There is no finger to be shown, Button has been left out in the cold and taken the option to race at Toyota alongside his friend Davidson reluctantly.

i70q7m7ghw

Jonnycraig wrote:
marcush. wrote:I don´t think Button will dance to that music much longer ....I´d show them the finger and leave for Toyota winning races.
There is no finger to be shown, Button has been left out in the cold and taken the option to race at Toyota alongside his friend Davidson reluctantly.
I wouldn't see it as reluctant if he has already inked a deal. If Button is already signed, then McLaren are in a bit of a situation, because now Alonso has all the bargaining chips. McLaren would effectively be backed in to a corner, because their only option for 2015 would be Alonso, and it would have to be on his terms.

marcush.

I think Button is just too nice here ..or maybe we get a completely wrong picture.
His statement of -i want to be in a position to win races -is simply not on since two years now -as mclaren has produced two below par cars in a row now -coming from producing cars that were a match for the Newey creations year in year out -the battles were lost not in the design and concept but more in flawed strategies , poor reliability etc etc .
maybe Jenson has lost faith and patience with Mclaren a bit .

Jonnycraig

Diesel wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
I wouldn't see it as reluctant if he has already inked a deal. If Button is already signed, then McLaren are in a bit of a situation, because now Alonso has all the bargaining chips. McLaren would effectively be backed in to a corner, because their only option for 2015 would be Alonso, and it would have to be on his terms.
Eh? Alonso signed in Sochi as did Magnusson. Button was then informed he was out and has since agreed a deal with Toyota. The sole reason it has yet to be announced is McLaren are letting Button announce his "retirement".

vAnDiX

A Journalist from Eurosport, personal facebook page, said that JB is going to Toyota WEC program.

JimClarkFan

marcush. wrote:I think Button is just too nice here ..or maybe we get a completely wrong picture.
His statement of -i want to be in a position to win races -is simply not on since two years now -as mclaren has produced two below par cars in a row now -coming from producing cars that were a match for the Newey creations year in year out -the battles were lost not in the design and concept but more in flawed strategies , poor reliability etc etc .
maybe Jenson has lost faith and patience with Mclaren a bit .

I think you are picking that up wrongly. I think that is a not so subtle jib at Mclaren, and in particular Ron, who said that Button wasn't doing enough as a world champion.

I think this is Jenson's way of getting back at him. Namely, ''Mclaren/Ron, it isn't just you unhappy with the way things have progressed, I can't win in cars that are crap.'' That is what I read between the lines.

Which of course is true, Mclaren seem to be sacking a driver who is by far and away the best performing of their drivers. Maybe they want to the reduced wage bill that having Mag/Alo vs But/Alo, but if they are one or two places down in the constructors then they have a problem.

horse

marcush. wrote: Button is not a spectacular driver most of the time -but then if you take a closer look -he is one of the best racers out there and you have to kick him out to get a dnf ....did the guy ever throw away a car in a race by himself?
Well, if you're going to chuck away a race... (a prophetic accident, perhaps?)

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

marcush.

what is the incentive for Jenson there? does he have a special deal with ron ? I see no reason why Jenson would wait with announcing anything ..he´s not the kind of guy to put on smokescreens .

and :

ah yes ..how could i forget that ....he really throwed it into the wall there ...in 2005....jesus the guy should be named jenson the shunt...no that was another brit..
but thanks for that one .... :-) (it just confirms my view that Jenson is one safe hand )

SilverArrow10

There is a place in the number #8 Toyota for next year by the looks of it, and that car will likely have a #1 on it next year, it would be a boost to both the wec, Toyota and Button in my opinion, think how many fans would follow him over as they did with Webber and Button can try and be world champion in two disciplines
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

SaveMeHollywood

wesley123 wrote:According to some sources he is going to Toyota.
That's great, it means I have a favorite in Audi, Porsche, and Toyota.
With Nissan fielding in their GT Academy babies.... and a supposedly new and experimental Nissan Automated Driver Accident Avoidance system...

Gonna be interesting. 8)

Honestly couldn't be bothered to watch F1 this year, but was totally hooked for most of the 24 hours of Le Mans!

SaveMeHollywood

Jonnycraig wrote:
Considering Toyota are in the thick of the battle to be crowned the WEC World Champions of 2014 I think "reluctant" is the wrong word to describe taking up their offer, mate. 8)

http://www.fia.com/news/title-contender ... in-bonanza

FW17

Wonder why Button is not talking to Lotus, that should be a good seat (may not pay even a quarter of what he gets now but still he gets a good car)

WEC is for 40 year olds and GP2 champion