Rob Wilson - driver coach?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marcush.

Re: Rob Wilson - driver coach?

Is there any Sport outside Racing where you would Even try to do without a coach? I have the Impression Motorsports is a Rather complex undertaking and it is Rather easy to fäll into a trap or get deviated into blind alleys.

timbo

SectorOne wrote:Also about the talk of Rob Wilson, it´s worth noting that he´s gone from Kimi being the fastest to Hamilton being the fastest (and in the future being fastest in a race, or "many circles" as the translation put it) to Vettel being the fastest.

And if Ricciardo is on point he might change his mind once again. (or if Vettel has a terrible season performance wise)
I guess this is natural. Driver have good and bad seasons.

theformula

I was surprised at Rob's comment on Lewis in the recent video. He seemed to judge his technical know how by the amount of buttons he has on his steering wheel... :?
I don't think he truly believes Vettel is faster than Lewis, and so there's some sort of negativity towards Lewis for whatever reason. Also he seemed to contradict himself as things he said in this video meant that he negated some of the things he has said about Lewis in the past, such as his driving style.
Finally, even Peter has picked up on the fact that Rob may have some bad feelings towards lewis. Because in an earlier video, don't ask me which specific one as i cant remember, Peter asked Rob about his thoughts on Lewis' driving and then added something along the lines of "I know you don't like Lewis"..... I think that says it all really.
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

bonjon1979

Sorry Rob, where was your boy Kimi today?

JimClarkFan

bonjon1979 wrote:Sorry Rob, where was your boy Kimi today?
This is one of the reasons why I doubt Robs input. He claims Kimi is the out and out faster driver he has ever taught, maybe he was 10 years ago but not now.

SectorOne

Keep in mind Kimi had problems all weekend. Too early to say anything from three practice sessions and a rainy qualifying.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

JimClarkFan

SectorOne wrote:Keep in mind Kimi had problems all weekend. Too early to say anything from three practice sessions and a rainy qualifying.
I'm not making my judgement on that, I am going back as far as 2007. I don't think I can point to a time when I think Kimi was outstandingly fast since then, maybe in his Mclaren days, but in my opinion I think he has been over rated as a guy with unbelievable speed. I just don't see that anymore.

Lollipop Man

theformula wrote:I was surprised at Rob's comment on Lewis in the recent video. He seemed to judge his technical know how by the amount of buttons he has on his steering wheel... :?
I don't think he truly believes Vettel is faster than Lewis, and so there's some sort of negativity towards Lewis for whatever reason. Also he seemed to contradict himself as things he said in this video meant that he negated some of the things he has said about Lewis in the past, such as his driving style.
Finally, even Peter has picked up on the fact that Rob may have some bad feelings towards lewis. Because in an earlier video, don't ask me which specific one as i cant remember, Peter asked Rob about his thoughts on Lewis' driving and then added something along the lines of "I know you don't like Lewis"..... I think that says it all really.
"Oh no!!! He badmouthed my hero's imaginary abilities therefore he can't be taken serious anymore."

Give me a break, the man is a professional and obviously knows his trade.

munudeges

It's not that he doesn't like Lewis, it's just he isn't as keen as mud on him as some people. I get the impression he believes that with the talent he has he should be doing a bit better. The thoughtful side of things just seems to elude him sometimes.

EDIT: Mind you, they do make a good point in that in Lewis's mind when he's having to conserve the car he's just driving slower.
Last edited by munudeges on 16 Mar 2014, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

munudeges

JimClarkFan wrote:I'm not making my judgement on that, I am going back as far as 2007. I don't think I can point to a time when I think Kimi was outstandingly fast since then, maybe in his Mclaren days, but in my opinion I think he has been over rated as a guy with unbelievable speed. I just don't see that anymore.
The sport has changed since then. Frankly, I don't know of any driver who has been outstandingly fast in the past five years apart from Vettel, but that's largely because the car allows him to do it and everyone else has had to compromise. Some people had a go a Alonso last year for the edge supposedly coming off his qualifying but people just don't take into account that you have to work out what to sacrifice in qualifying for the race. The best and intelligent drivers like Alonso and Raikkonen have done that, and they've had cars where they've had to do that more than others. It's why they've been so consistent.

Sevach

Rob comes in at about 7 minutes.

JES
JES

raymondu999 wrote:It almost leads me to believe that Kimi is the only top f1 driver he has ever trained - so Kimi's the only one on his "home team" so to speak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDRdMzLt9_0
JimClarkFan wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:Sorry Rob, where was your boy Kimi today?
This is one of the reasons why I doubt Robs input. He claims Kimi is the out and out faster driver he has ever taught, maybe he was 10 years ago but not now.
According to an old translation of an article on this forum, Rob has coached half of the current grid drivers, probably a bit less of this year's grid. I wouldn't say his input is "outdated". Currently he works mainly with Williams drivers I believe. The work he did with Kimi was from over 10 years ago.

In another article Rob told that Kimi and Lewis were the only drivers to beat his laptime on a test track straight away. Lewis did it already on his first lap, Kimi equaled Rob's time on the first lap and improved it on the second. The Kimi vs Alonso comparison is a bit flawed indeed because Alonso is one of the few old generation top drivers that Rob hasn't coached.

Sevach

He hasn't worked with Alonso and a number of drivers on the grid but this has never stopped him evaluating them "from the outside".
In the Alonso vs Raikkonen situation he has made his opinion clear, so no excuses imo.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sevach

The title is a bit misleading, don't get too excited, but still a nice conversation.