Fastest laps

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr

Re: Fastest laps

f1316 wrote:I agree with virtually all of this. The problem for me, much like with many other things, comes from the lack of refuelling. In the days of refuelling, it was equally possible to set the fastest lap of the gp at the end of any given stint, not necessarily the end of the race. These were the times when pit-stop position changes were made, due to one driver pushing to the absolute maximum on low fuel to maximise the advantage he'd gained from running longer.

The point being that the fastest lap often correlated with the most impressive lap of the race. If we look at Hungary 2012, however, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that Kimi's 1:25 on old tyres was not the most impressive lap - the time it took for anyone to lower it even after new tyre stops bears this out - and yet the fastest lap, I believe, went to a late-stopping Red Bull. It just is less reflective of "the fastest car/driver" in the race than it was and is therefore less relevant statistically.
Refuelling doesn't completely fix the picture though - a late final stopper will have both a low fuel load, due to the limited number of laps left, and new tyres and so is likely to go quicker than someone who stopped ten laps previously but had the better race strategy as they didn't need to stop again.

In any race where you have pit stops of any kind then fastest laps will always be a compromised measure to some degree. Even without stopping you could argue that someone may not have extracted the most from their tyres over the full race distance but had managed to put in one quick lap to get fastest lap. All in all unless getting fastest lap is a necessity then it's going to be a flawed measure of absolute pace.

f1316

myurr wrote:
f1316 wrote:I agree with virtually all of this. The problem for me, much like with many other things, comes from the lack of refuelling. In the days of refuelling, it was equally possible to set the fastest lap of the gp at the end of any given stint, not necessarily the end of the race. These were the times when pit-stop position changes were made, due to one driver pushing to the absolute maximum on low fuel to maximise the advantage he'd gained from running longer.

The point being that the fastest lap often correlated with the most impressive lap of the race. If we look at Hungary 2012, however, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that Kimi's 1:25 on old tyres was not the most impressive lap - the time it took for anyone to lower it even after new tyre stops bears this out - and yet the fastest lap, I believe, went to a late-stopping Red Bull. It just is less reflective of "the fastest car/driver" in the race than it was and is therefore less relevant statistically.
Refuelling doesn't completely fix the picture though - a late final stopper will have both a low fuel load, due to the limited number of laps left, and new tyres and so is likely to go quicker than someone who stopped ten laps previously but had the better race strategy as they didn't need to stop again.

In any race where you have pit stops of any kind then fastest laps will always be a compromised measure to some degree. Even without stopping you could argue that someone may not have extracted the most from their tyres over the full race distance but had managed to put in one quick lap to get fastest lap. All in all unless getting fastest lap is a necessity then it's going to be a flawed measure of absolute pace.
Yes, true. And I remember Kimi setting a lot of fastest laps in 2009, which wasn't really representative of him having a fast package, so it was never by any means a science. Now, however, I feel it's completely irrelevant.

Cam

I think I mentioned this in another thread - maybe giving the drivers incentive to drive quick might help? Whoever sets the fastest lap of the race get 5 points added? Even if the top guys don't do it, we might see some mid runners pit for fresh rubber and throw a few crackers in. Do that a few times in the year and it will add up. Teams would have to consider that in their strategy.

Anything to get them pushing!
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

FrukostScones

Cam wrote:I think I mentioned this in another thread - maybe giving the drivers incentive to drive quick might help? Whoever sets the fastest lap of the race get 5 points added? Even if the top guys don't do it, we might see some mid runners pit for fresh rubber and throw a few crackers in. Do that a few times in the year and it will add up. Teams would have to consider that in their strategy.

It would be interesting, but racing would be even more stragetically. You would have teams to go for an overall slower stragey (more pitstops) to be in a position to race for the fastest lap at the end of the race. Could be more artificial than DRS and Pirelli rubber together. But it would be interesting.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

f1316

FrukostScones wrote:
Cam wrote:I think I mentioned this in another thread - maybe giving the drivers incentive to drive quick might help? Whoever sets the fastest lap of the race get 5 points added? Even if the top guys don't do it, we might see some mid runners pit for fresh rubber and throw a few crackers in. Do that a few times in the year and it will add up. Teams would have to consider that in their strategy.

It would be interesting, but racing would be even more stragetically. You would have teams to go for an overall slower stragey (more pitstops) to be in a position to race for the fastest lap at the end of the race. Could be more artificial than DRS and Pirelli rubber together. But it would be interesting.
This is what I mentioned in the original post. Originally, F1 did award a point for fastest lap, and I always thought they should reintroduce this as it would mean people still had something to push for until the final lap. However, with the current formula it would simply mean that unecessary tyre stops were being made and would become a bit of a farce, I fear.

f1316

It's also interesting how many more fastest laps some drivers have compared to their contemporaries. Observe ;) :

Prost - 41
Mansell -30
Senna - 19

Räikkönen - 37
Alonso -19

Massa - 14
Webber - 13
Button - 7

I'm not drawing any conclusions from any of this, just find it interesting.