Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Leon

Re: Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

Hamilton is hoping for better chances with factory team, especially with v6 turbo, but anyway, the situation can be even interesting if Berni&Todt cancel turbo and leave v8
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

user001

Leon wrote:Hamilton is hoping for better chances with factory team, especially with v6 turbo, but anyway, the situation can be even interesting if Berni&Todt cancel turbo and leave v8
http://www.pitpass.com/47448-New-F1-eng ... Ecclestone

seems the biggest argument for hamilton leaving mclr to merc is beeing vaporized...

:D :D :D

probably this could end up for him drawing the shortest straw of the year. regarding his race wining potential in the future (swepping the new merc 60% wind channel under the carpet)

NonNewtonic

I don't think that will happen as there is no way they could convince engine manufacture to abandon a project which they have poured millions into it not even delaying!

JimClarkFan

Does anyone have any idea just how much technical info a driver can take with him from a team. Are there any restrictions with respect to what a driver knows about wing development, or the effect of putting an extra flap 'here' will do to the aerodynamic effect of the car.

If Lewis has been involved deeply in the technical side of Mclarens development, then surely that will allow Mercedes to make a significant step forward next year. Whether they will be able to keep that up though is anyone's guess.

user001

i mean according to older announcements the 2014 engines are already on test sites. anyone does have a clue how much manufacturers already invested?

Leon

it's possible, FIA could leave v8 and provide turbos to other series, or delay for better times...
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

Ganxxta

NonNewtonic wrote:I don't think that will happen as there is no way they could convince engine manufacture to abandon a project which they have poured millions into it not even delaying!
Ferrari atleast wouldn't hesitate to go on with the V8s immediately :D

Shakeman

winth304 wrote:
Leon wrote:Hamilton is hoping for better chances with factory team, especially with v6 turbo, but anyway, the situation can be even interesting if Berni&Todt cancel turbo and leave v8

seems the biggest argument for hamilton leaving mclr to merc is beeing vaporized...

probably this could end up for him drawing the shortest straw of the year. regarding his race wining potential in the future (swepping the new merc 60% wind channel under the carpet)
Do you know much about F1 at all?

Who are McLaren's current engine supplier? That same supplier said there will be no difference in the engines delivered to customers to the works team come 2014. So your point?

Try the comparison between Whitmarsh and Brawn for size, who has the better record? Who has been in charge of the teams that won the most WDCs and WCCs and the most recent to boot? If I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on Whitmarsh over Brawn, would you?

GrizzleBoy

McLaren build (periodically) fast cars, but they don't build championship winning cars it seems.

Somewhere between 2010 and 2012, the McLaren garage somehow managed to go backwards, only attempting to strive for real perfection in the pit lane after they became a literal embarrassment to their own name and were basically forced to redeem themselves.

Maybe that attitude is grating on a person who wants to keep pushing forward all the time.

user001

Shakeman wrote:
winth304 wrote:

Do you know much about F1 at all?

Who are McLaren's current engine supplier? That same supplier said there will be no difference in the engines delivered to customers to the works team come 2014. So your point?

Try the comparison between Whitmarsh and Brawn for size, who has the better record? Who has been in charge of the teams that won the most WDCs and WCCs and the most recent to boot? If I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on Whitmarsh over Brawn, would you?
how come you're questioning my knowledge so rash in the first place?

it was said or is said that it will be an advantage more for merc than for any other "upper" team that regulations will change. despite mclaren will have to pay for the engines in contrast of merc being manufacturer this "advantage" in technology would be gone or suspended point said.

It isn't bout the record (though if you compare whithmarsh and brawn only regarding race wins since whithmarsh is around, who is performing better??) its about the whole package as you certainly know with your well f1 knowledge.

i'm very eager to see merc performing better. but as for every year on since 2010 merc's main prob was (rear) tyre wear and they didn't manage to improve that for the last three years. neither for instance with the shorter wheel base nor carbon gear... why should they next year? because of elliot, because of the 60% wind tunnel because of brawn? sorry, but brawn is more a f1 strategist than f1 designer.

and even if they would improve, why the heck should they perform far better than mclaren? because they started with the 2013 car earlier as for the last 3 years? because mclaren has to pay more for kers, gear and the engine? i do not think this makes a huge difference with a approx 280mio budget. more important is the collab and experience of the engineers and designers.
due to the more stable regulations its not so likely that they will find a mind blowing innovation like the double diffusor. though i would be pleased if they would find one either.

fausto cedros

I'd not underestimate MW. His curriculum is impressive from any point of view. He didn't have the chance to measure himself for as long as RB, neither at Ferrari in the golden years with MS at the wheel of a dominant car, nor had the chance to take a sabbatical and mastermind a contender along a regulation for which RB is known having been a consultant. And yes, i'm also referring to the political power that an organization like Ferrari throws on the table every year and that, to me, played a relevant part in the plot that lead the prancing horse to those titles.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

Nando

March 1st 2009. from there on it went downhill.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

marcush.

JimClarkFan wrote:Does anyone have any idea just how much technical info a driver can take with him from a team. Are there any restrictions with respect to what a driver knows about wing development, or the effect of putting an extra flap 'here' will do to the aerodynamic effect of the car.

If Lewis has been involved deeply in the technical side of Mclarens development, then surely that will allow Mercedes to make a significant step forward next year. Whether they will be able to keep that up though is anyone's guess.

In the sense of points of downforce? I´m pretty sure Hamilton has no idea of anything that MGP does not already know .He might know a bit about how quickly mclaren moved forward when things went not according to plan and he can compare with MGPs reactions and action plans.

He sure has snapped up the odd technical detail but who cares?

But then Bernie has already announced the new engines powerplants will be delayed not coming 2014....so the whole idea of changing to a manufacturer has become less appealing...or useless`..

Ganxxta

marcush. wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Does anyone have any idea just how much technical info a driver can take with him from a team. Are there any restrictions with respect to what a driver knows about wing development, or the effect of putting an extra flap 'here' will do to the aerodynamic effect of the car.

In the sense of points of downforce? I´m pretty sure Hamilton has no idea of anything that MGP does not already know .He might know a bit about how quickly mclaren moved forward when things went not according to plan and he can compare with MGPs reactions and action plans.

He sure has snapped up the odd technical detail but who cares?

But then Bernie has already announced the new engines powerplants will be delayed not coming 2014....so the whole idea of changing to a manufacturer has become less appealing...or useless`..
Interestingly enough Bernie announced that after the Hamilton deal was sealed... :twisted:

marcush.

It´s a business after all..
First he needed Daimler to commit to F1 longterm .
Now he´s straight back in HIS Business. Ohboy this guy knows how to strike deals the Stuttgart suits got laid big time by a 82year old ...Bernie is a true mastersalesman.