Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

marcush. wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Does anyone have any idea just how much technical info a driver can take with him from a team. Are there any restrictions with respect to what a driver knows about wing development, or the effect of putting an extra flap 'here' will do to the aerodynamic effect of the car.

If Lewis has been involved deeply in the technical side of Mclarens development, then surely that will allow Mercedes to make a significant step forward next year. Whether they will be able to keep that up though is anyone's guess.

In the sense of points of downforce? I´m pretty sure Hamilton has no idea of anything that MGP does not already know .He might know a bit about how quickly mclaren moved forward when things went not according to plan and he can compare with MGPs reactions and action plans.

He sure has snapped up the odd technical detail but who cares?

But then Bernie has already announced the new engines powerplants will be delayed not coming 2014....so the whole idea of changing to a manufacturer has become less appealing...or useless`..
Well to be honest I'm not even 100% sure of what I am asking. Lets say Macca have a couple of technical tricks up their sleeve that other teams don't have, would the drivers be privy to that information?... or is there some kind of concerted effort on behalf of the teams to keep such info secret.

It would seems perhaps a bit silly in some respects to be divulging lots of technical information to a driver who is leaving at the end of the year, at the same time I can see how having a driver with great technical info can improve development.

Mika1
Mika1

Hopefully Bernie is gone soon.
The boss follows me on twitter.

filipL
filipL

Hm @JimClark difficult to answer, because every car is different, and depends on driver style of driving, feedback, etc.. also, technical undestanding of F1 car is significant. For example, people are asking, how Rosberg is so good.. Yes, rosberg is talented driver, but from my point of view he is top 3 driver with Michael and Alonso, that technicaly is very very strong. He adores aerodynamic, physics and maths, and this is reason also why he is so good.. And Lewis is little weaker on this area.. Driver can contribute, and yes driver is very very important puzzle in development of F1 car. Drivers don't have restrictions when they go to another team, they only have restriction in giving information with drawings, technical documents, etc.. But they can tell everything else- abotu feedback in McLaren for example, about how car acts with this front wing or bargeboards, or difuser.. So, Lewis will tell everything what he felt in McLaren with different updates. Also, he will tell informations when he spoke with his engineers at McLaren, with aerodynamics, race engineer, everything, be sure of that..

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Ganxxta wrote:
marcush. wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Does anyone have any idea just how much technical info a driver can take with him from a team. Are there any restrictions with respect to what a driver knows about wing development, or the effect of putting an extra flap 'here' will do to the aerodynamic effect of the car.

If Lewis has been involved deeply in the technical side of Mclarens development, then surely that will allow Mercedes to make a significant step forward next year. Whether they will be able to keep that up though is anyone's guess.

In the sense of points of downforce? I´m pretty sure Hamilton has no idea of anything that MGP does not already know .He might know a bit about how quickly mclaren moved forward when things went not according to plan and he can compare with MGPs reactions and action plans.

He sure has snapped up the odd technical detail but who cares?

But then Bernie has already announced the new engines powerplants will be delayed not coming 2014....so the whole idea of changing to a manufacturer has become less appealing...or useless`..
Interestingly enough Bernie announced that after the Hamilton deal was sealed... :twisted:
Martin Brundle has recently made the statment that he is fearful that Lewis has got caught up in a much larger "game".

Its kind of weird that Bernie would announce to Sky F1 before the 2012 season even started that he expects Lewis to not be a McLaren driver anymore, then drop this no 2014 engines bombshell only as soon as Lewis leaves for a team that might have been an advantage via 2014 engines.

user001
user001

Mika1 wrote:Hopefully Bernie is gone soon.
hamilton in a possibly less competitive car next season and without new f1 engines 2014. bad for him rather more entertaining for f1 followers. i for myself find it rather more entertaining how ice blooded bernie is indeed. for people like him, this is business and fun simultaneously. :)

filipL
filipL

I also think that 2013 will be the most difficult year in Hamiltons carrer.. Ok, 2009 also began difficult, but was great from Hungary till the end.. Maybe he will be without any victory in 2013.
Also, I'm sad for Michael, because he contributed very very much in this Mercedes car, and also if merc car will be better nex year, these are the basis which are created by Michaels contribution the most, and also from Rosbergs side.. Ande then, people will tell- see, Michael couldn't win it in this Mercedes, and Lewis can.. But people forget (and those are how don't watch F1 in detail) how many mistakes Mercedes made from quality point of view with this year mercedes, especially on Michael car on the begining of the season.. Also, they brought first big update in last week Singapore, and will develop constantly till the end of season, and also Michael will have contribution in this updates with his engineers.. I just want to say, Hamilton will have hard job at Mercedes, and also he should be aware of Nico's quality.. And believe me, he knows them from 2000's season

JACKSONVILLE
JACKSONVILLE

There are two points i want to point out.

1. In my honest opinion I think Hamilton has gone for the money, ... Mercedes our a midfield team ... ....

2. I do fear that if the mercs suddenly become quick next season schumacher will get all the blame .....
Last edited by Richard on 30 Sep 2012, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rant deleted.

N12ck

I am sorry Jacksonville, but every post I have seen you post is completely anti-Merc, anti-Hamilton, anti everything, I havent seen one post of yours which is constructive in any way, please... we get your not happy about the deal, but get over it, no need to drag the reputation of these forums down just so you can spout out your personal views about situations within formula 1
Budding F1 Engineer

Nando
Nando

I find it funny how people like jacksonville thinks a driver makes or breaks a team....

No credit to Ferrari, Their money, Fiorano, Byrne, Todt, Brawn etc etc.

Nono it was only schumacher...
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

filipL
filipL

Ok people lets cool your heads down.. It is true that this will be a real first test for Lewis, if he can be a team leader, developing cars, like Michael and Fernando did or Senna. Also, it will prove how strong mentally he is by not having wining car, or car for top spots.. This will be turning point in his carer for sure, and also he is in some kind of transition time of his carer like Vettel.. Why like Vettel?? Because, both of them were not yet in position to become WC, and then have a slower car, and then again develop and win WC with XY team.. Alonso, Schumi, button and Kimi went through this periods of carer, and Vettel and Hamilton were not.
So, big big test of Lewis ability, especially mentaly..

Do anyone agree??

JACKSONVILLE
JACKSONVILLE

Of course f1 is not a one man sport you have all the engineers, car designers etc. ....
Last edited by Richard on 30 Sep 2012, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

filipL
filipL

I think he don't have enough patience, and as I wrote before, this will be true test for him, this is new era for him.. Remember, every great driver like Senna, Prost, Schumacher or Alonso proved themselves not only in ''first home team'', also in other team, and with this other team become F1 champion.. Lewis and Vettel are in same period, because Vettel will also leave RB for season or two maybe and then he will have to prove in other team..

Bu as Rosberg yesterday said, Michael is in top class driving, and as he said he is for sure one of the best in F1 at the moment.. Also, alonso said that Michael would one two races with Sauber this season.. I think he think on Kuala Lumpur and Monza.. :)

JACKSONVILLE
JACKSONVILLE

Last edited by Richard on 30 Sep 2012, 22:27, edited 3 times in total.

N12ck

back on topic now...
Budding F1 Engineer

Shakeman

JACKSONVILLE wrote:To all the lewis hamilton fanboys have a read of this http://www.pitpass.com/47448-New-F1-eng ... Ecclestone

It seems the main reason or you believe it's the main reason why hamilton has gone to mercedes is going to be dead in the water before it evens comes to fruition lol.

DEFINITION OF A FANBOY= A PERSON WHO IS SO BIASED HE NEVER SEES WRONG IN THE PERSON HE OR SHE IS SUPPORTING AND ALWAYS BARKS AT THOSE THAT CRITICIZES THEIR CHARGE. :) :) :D
Moronic comment.

F1 Technical is going/gone to the fanboy/hater crowds that have made the other F1 forums so joyless.

=D>