Could Pastor Maldonado be costing Williams money?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Could Pastor Maldonado be costing Williams money?

Just a thought...
So far, Maldonado has lost Williams somewhere between 40 and 50 points based on stupid mistakes, crashes, penalties etc. That would be enough to move them up to either 5th or 6th in the championship. What's the difference in prize money at that point? Could Pastor have cost williams more than the 30 million smackers he brings in?

Slife
Slife

Re: Could Pastor Maldonado be costing Williams money?

He didn't lose points because he never got those 40-50 pts in the first place.

timbo
timbo

beelsebob wrote:What's the difference in prize money at that point? Could Pastor have cost williams more than the 30 million smackers he brings in?
The best info I got is this: http://www.f1network.net/boards/read/s1 ... 10,9624398
So, apparently nowhere near the money he brings them.
And besides, you gotta find another driver who'd be in the same position in potential points.

raymondu999

Slife wrote:He didn't lose points because he never got those 40-50 pts in the first place.
Yes, but he squandered the opportunities where big points were for the taking
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

The only thing Williams is loosing is respect, for choosing poor quality drivers with cash over real talent.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Cam wrote:The only thing Williams is loosing is respect, for choosing poor quality drivers with cash over real talent.
Absolutely. Considering the pedigree, and the instant difference in performance and results between 2011 and now, Williams is having a hard time proving in race results that Maldonaldo's win wasn't a fluke for the team. A similar situation is happening in Mercedes, relative to the other top-tier teams with a larger budget; the problem is more with the car, though.

raymondu999

Are they? Williams IMO have just-under-winning pace right now. As proven by results that didn't happen. Eg. Valencia
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Not only the points that he squanders so readily, but also potential sponsors must be turned off by his malignancy. So his value should really be what he brings minus what he squanders and scares away.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

marcush.
marcush.

don´t forget -shunt drivers will demotivate the people working in your company as well.So it has a knockon effect ..You will not work as hard knowing your two heros will return a three two or nowheeler in short time instead of bagging points and silverware.
They should have hired Barrichello for reputation and motivation

beelsebob
beelsebob

Slife wrote:He didn't lose points because he never got those 40-50 pts in the first place.
You're saying that if he didn't crash in australia he wouldn't have scored 8 points? And that if he didn't crash in Valencia, he wouldn't have scored 15? (and many other examples)

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

raymondu999 wrote:Are they? Williams IMO have just-under-winning pace right now. As proven by results that didn't happen. Eg. Valencia
That's the problem. Results that didn't happen. Unfortunately, at the end of the season, the results won't reflect how close Williams have gotten to really good points and finishes throughout the season. The suits at potential sponsors may not be as diligent in examining race-contexts than the folks on this forum :(

With a bit of stern discussion (ideally with Maldonaldo sitting with Williams, himself), Maldonaldo will improve his racecraft and the team can rally itself together for a strong back half. I would love to see some more updates and solid finishes and podiums in the Asia portion. I would want the same for Sauber as well. I just like to see everyone exude the potential for success!

The FOZ
The FOZ

RB7ate9 wrote:With a bit of stern discussion (ideally with Maldonaldo sitting with Williams, himself), Maldonaldo will improve his racecraft...
Pastor may be quick, but he's consistently shown himself to be on the edge of disaster if all the variables aren't working out in his favor. You simply cannot talk someone smarter, and that's the problem with Pastor...he's quick at driving, but not at thinking.
Last edited by Steven on 08 Sep 2012, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quotes

jdlive
jdlive

The FOZ wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:With a bit of stern discussion (ideally with Maldonaldo sitting with Williams, himself), Maldonaldo will improve his racecraft...
he's quick at driving, but not at thinking.
He reminds me of the guy wearing the yellow helmet. I hope this doesn't lead to my third warning regarding insults towards his majesty LH because then I'm a goner :shock:
Last edited by Steven on 08 Sep 2012, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

jdlive wrote:
The FOZ wrote:
he's quick at driving, but not at thinking.
He reminds me of the guy wearing the yellow helmet. I hope this doesn't lead to my third warning regarding insults towards his majesty LH because then I'm a goner :shock:
I always find people that resort to insults in their post so much less credible.

:Edited for the grammar police
Last edited by Steven on 08 Sep 2012, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.

jdlive
jdlive

morefirejules08 wrote:
jdlive wrote:
The FOZ wrote:he's quick at driving, but not at thinking.
I always find people that resort to insults in there post so much less credible.
I agree. I don't see stating obvious facts as being insults though.

Grammatical errors for me also make one lose all credibility.
Last edited by Steven on 08 Sep 2012, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."