Hamilton at Mercedes 2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nando

Re: Hamilton at Mercedes 2012

Schumacher in the video just put it all in a basket.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

foxmulder_ms

Mclaren has been saying they offered Hamilton the amount which would had made him "the most earning driver". Can this be true? I thought Alonso was making double the amount of Hamilton (30 vs 15 million$). Is there any good source?

I just wondered...

beelsebob

foxmulder_ms wrote:Mclaren has been saying they offered Hamilton the amount which would had made him "the most earning driver". Can this be true? I thought Alonso was making double the amount of Hamilton (30 vs 15 million$). Is there any good source?

I just wondered...
It's possible that they offered him enough to earn more than button, and hence be the highest earner at McLaren.

banibhusan

munudeges wrote:It's Schumacher making way, not Rosberg, and the past twelve months are not the issue. Rosberg has put Schumacher in the shade for three years now. Then there is Schumacher's tendency to crash into things that just hasn't gone away in those three years..........
Has Hamilton's tendency of crashing into others gone away (except this year)? As far as I recall he was involved in more number of crashes than Schumacher last year, no?

PlatinumZealot

But not into the back of people. Which is really very Rookie like. And btw, we should hold MSC to the highest standards.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JACKSONVILLE

"Lewis Hamilton insists that he isn't going to Mercedes with the expectation of winning races next season" SOURCE SKY SPORTS

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... ext-season

WOW SO WHY DID HE GO?? WAS IT THE MONEY OR WAS HIS POSITION AT MCCLAREN UNTENABLE??

PlatinumZealot

He is chatting out of his but. BS.
He and Perez flat out lied in Singapore... I wont be surprised if he is trying to cover his bases before Winter testing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

spadeflush

JACKSONVILLE wrote:"Lewis Hamilton insists that he isn't going to Mercedes with the expectation of winning races next season" SOURCE SKY SPORTS

WOW SO WHY DID HE GO?? WAS IT THE MONEY OR WAS HIS POSITION AT MCCLAREN UNTENABLE??
Money, challenge, hopefully the latter more than the former. Since the cars are not going to change much for next year, it would be highly optimistic/unrealistic of him to hope for consistent wins next year. It has been mentioned a lot that the regulation changes in 2014 played a big part in his move. Mercedes might be allocating a lot of resources to the development of the W05, which would mean that the W04 will not be a contender for wins. Lewis wants to help build a championship winning team.Man, has he got a job on his hands
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Shakeman

JACKSONVILLE wrote:"Lewis Hamilton insists that he isn't going to Mercedes with the expectation of winning races next season" SOURCE SKY SPORTS

How about neither?

What can't you accept that he left for a new challenge?

In interviews Hamilton looks relaxed and genuinely pleased to be moving on and excited by the new challenge. In one of the video interviews I saw he said he did not want to burn bridges with McLaren and was open to a return in the future.

No one actually knows what has gone on behind closed doors at McLaren and if there is any "story" then it'll probably emerge in due course but I happen to believe Hamilton's account and he's genuinely up for a different challenge.

Nando

He´s 100% aware of the fact that he´s leaving a championship contender for next year and from what i saw he was genuinely happy for Perez giving him a hug and everything.

2013 might be crap but i think it´s 2014 he has his eyes set on.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

snoop1050

anthony davidson on the f1 show seems to think hamilton is bringing 4-5 tenths to mercedes.

which means lewis would probably have won the championship already

Mika1

snoop1050 wrote:anthony davidson on the f1 show seems to think hamilton is bringing 4-5 tenths to mercedes.

Not exactly. He said, we will see if Lewis can deliver that.
The boss follows me on twitter.

clipsy1H

snoop1050 wrote:anthony davidson on the f1 show seems to think hamilton is bringing 4-5 tenths to mercedes.

lewis is a great driver but 4-5 tenths? :D (maybe if he will plugged a airplane engine on RW) at the moment no one on the grid can be much faster than Michael or Nico in this car (maybe but maybe with 0.050-0.100 per lap but not more) when w03 perform both of them show they are at same lvl with others and can win a race without much problems.

i think w04 will be much better than this and Lewis will win some race with luck maybe he can win championship in 2013 but if not i'm sure he will do in 2014 is a great driver in top 3 at the moment alongside Alonso and Sebastian.

SaveMeHollywood

Is it not possible that Lewis’ entire motivation for going to Mercedes-Benz has all to do with those clauses that allow him to “Promote his Personal Brand and Image as he sees fit”?

It’s common knowledge that XIX Entertainment have held a higher regard of prestige for the three-pointed star than the brand at Woking.

The clauses will allow Hamilton to “individualize” himself as a celebrity, a symbol. He’ll be a star (like his girlfriend).

And that goes, even if the car never finishes higher than 4th ever. This is the life he probably always wanted and why he increasingly took on that Hollywood lifestyle which clashed with McLaren’s view of how he should be managed.

Now he’s free to do just that.

Even if the car never finishes higher than 4th.

You’ll know this is true when the clauses actually allow him to appear in different colored overalls from his teammate and he can skip sessions because he has his own photoshoots and is inspecting his own merchandise.

The clause completely separates his own “performance” from that of the team’s.

He can be a “winner” even if Mercedes trundle around in the mid-field. He only needs to keep up the image of being a “fighter punching above his weight” to make the whole thing work.

It must be noted that Lewis is taking on representation that is VERY different to typical sports or F1 representation.

This is representation used in Entertainment (which I have some familiarity with).

So I think I need to clarify my view:

As a celebrity/talent you need to be able to post “forward momentum” or “winning image” even without any material progress. Traditionally as an F1 driver you’d have to say you want to win World Championships and you need to keep winning to keep that brand up. That’s the old way (the MS way) of doing it. Lewis knows first hand brands/talents like his girlfriend Nicole continue to have upward momentum even if she does not make album after album or score platinum 10x in a row.

She doesn’t have to do that. Chances are XIX have advised him that neither does he to “win at the game of life”.

Lewis has tried running with his talent, but instead of him being the dominant power of F1, F1 in recent years has become the Sebastian Vettel show. Lewis has seen that in the age of limited testing, the power of success of a talented driver is limited. If he had won World Titles straight on-the-trot with McLaren and with his dad, Anthony, I doubt he would have considered "other paths to happiness" and I doubt he would have landed at XIX.

But he's there. Because he sees other "achievers" happy there at XIX - even when nothing in particular is happening. Look at the clientele at XIX and you'll know I speak the truth.

Judging from the usual way F1 talent is handled by teams, he's been told the same thing many other drivers have been told: "Wear the uniform, do the work. Make the car faster and we'll collect silverware". His father probably pushed him in the same direction.

He's tired of that. He's hitting 30 soon. He's looking for something else now. He's done it "their way" before and all he has to show for it is one World Title and some other trophies. That may be pretty good achievement. But up the pitlane are people with more Titles than him. "Their way" didn't work. Across the pond, Hamilton finds his Entertainment friends are happier. So I think he's going to do it "XIX's way" from now on.

Take note he still needs to keep up that talk though about the championships and the challenges. Because the F1 "Market" demands he talks as a "fighter" as "someone taking on challenges". And don't worry, he'll still drive the wheels off any car he's in. Because that's his "character". His girlfriend sings at the top of her lungs and he travels around the world doing quick laps.

But the people around him (his celebrity friends and XIX) no doubt have understood for some time that winning in straight terms isn’t necessary.

For people outside of Entertainment, staying ahead with only the “veneer” of high performance sounds like a facade. In Entertainment, that is actually the sustaining goal of Entertainment Representation like XIX.

For Lewis, it now means he never has to worry if Vettel wins 20 championships from now on.

He will be more famous. He will be more marketable. He will be more wealthy.

He will be the “winner”.

This is how it will work:

The clauses in his contract will allow Lewis to run his own "operation". To make his own gear, his own merchandise, wear them even on Sundays (regardless of what the team might want him to use/wear). He'll be his own entity. This is not new. This is how "Ferrari Drivers" used to operate back in the early days.

He will be "external" to the team. He will drive the car 10/10ths every race weekend. He will fight. He will struggle and they will use that as part of his "marketing". Lewis will "have his fun" and if he starts winning anyway? Even better.

XIX and Lewis could try and create an image, slowly, where it's "Lewis Hamilton drives a Mercedes" rather than "Lewis Hamilton is a Mercedes Driver". There's a difference. Why else would he want so much Self-Brand freedom in his contract?

XIX is prepared to use ANY result or any publicity from Lewis' F1 activity REGARDLESS of result. If Mercedes hit a good patch and make a dominant car? Bonus. If they continue as they have? Lewis doesn't care. He's got his merchandise, his endorsements, his magazine photoshoots....

He'll be busy enough "winning at everything else".

Note: Yes I also posted much of this on James Allen's Site but I felt it worthwhile to share here my view as well being that I have some insight in the Entertainment business.

ecapox

I'm not quoting all that above, but you are 100% spot on.