Hamilton at Mercedes 2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Red Schneider

Re: Hamilton at Mercedes 2012

Hamilton's not always the clearest thinker, but I take him at face value when he says he wants to win. Fact is, he hasn't been winning titles at McLaren. I bet he's livid that this upstart punk Vettel has more titles than he does.

SaveMeHollywood

ecapox wrote:I'm not quoting all that above, but you are 100% spot on.
I have a feeling Mercedes AMG F1 itself hasn't quite understood the depths and various branches XIX and Lewis can take with the unprecedented amount of freedom they have just bestowed on a driver.

Michael Schumacher suffered three years of trying to attack at the current formula at the highest expectation level. When performance or motivation drops, athletes are expected to leave or shift to another sport. This is what has traditionally happened.

Lewis and XIX, in my view, will innovate in this category because Lewis will actually be immune now to whatever happens to his team or the sport. That's good news for his fans. It means no matter how bad things get, he will never go away, never appear unmotivated (his character must remain 110% motivated). He will probably parrot a lot of the things Schumacher said for the last 3 years and then some of the things Schumacher said back at Ferrari too.

His fans will continue to see him as a fighter. Lewis and XIX know very well that if Mercedes make a terrible car, Lewis as a driver is beyond reproach. He is "the fastest man in the world". That'll be his marketing. I think many F1 fans or even peers consider him the fastest man (even if he only has one World Title).

It's a good image. Lewis can play it all. And he will continue to play at being competitive just like the other F1 greats like Schumacher did.

But he will be different in one important aspect. It simply will no longer matter for him in reality.

I understand a lot of people like rubbishing Mercedes AMG F1... If people think Schumacher suffered trying to make that team work. I'm not sure if Mercedes AMG F1 will appreciate it that his replacement was "someone bigger than the team".

But for some fans they might think it is karma and just punishment? Merc didn't deserve a driver who cared about every result, so they should get a driver who really is no longer interested in anything else except running the tyres to canvass, setting the timing sheets alight (for himself), winning new trophies (that he will now also keep for himself), wearing his own LH-racesuit with his own endorsements (which is all money for him and XIX), and selling his new clothing line (again... all him and XIX).

Raptor22

Either way Hamilton has shot himself in the foot.

Mercedes have been living on the legacy of Ilmor Racing Engines for some time now. The 2014 is going to be a new engine from the sump up. With Mercedes not exactly setting the world alight with engine technology I'm not seeing their 2014 engine being reliable, the most powerful or the most flexible in terms of driveability. I think Renault and Ferrari are going to own them.
If VAG enters F1 they will usurp Mercedes.
I can't see how this is going to turn out any good for Hamilton.

I can already hear a lot of radio banter. "Guys, this car is <insert expletive>!"

ArchAngel

Raptor22 wrote:..."Guys, this car is <insert expletive>!"
The dog's turd? The cat's vomit? :lol:

I guess XiX, Nicole & the rest of HAM's clan got him completely sold on the David Beckham career path.

Raptor22

Yip, the don't aim for actual success. Just aim for there or thereabouts and make a lot of noise about success, but ever really achieve it because then you will be held to that standard.

There's more money in promise than in actual deeds. Pretty much how the stock exchange works

JACKSONVILLE

Hamilton is already enjoying the repercussions of leaving Mcclaren lool the team have made his car slower than buttons as was evident today in qualifying loool ENJOY THE MIDFIELD SON AND AT LEAST TODAY HE GETS TO SEE HOW IT WILL BE NEXT YEAR

Nando

Keep spoilers in the proper thread.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

ArchAngel wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:..."Guys, this car is <insert expletive>!"
The dog's turd? The cat's vomit? :lol:

I guess XiX, Nicole & the rest of HAM's clan got him completely sold on the David Beckham career path.
I was thinking - wasn't it also Fuller's XIX that brokered Beckham to Galaxy?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 00632.html

so far with Hamilton technical whit...Whitmarsh does not even bother hiding anything technical from the leaving driver.
If you would want some technical inside you´d better poach away an engineer...ouch..

Hamilton shows big interest in Exhausts and telemetry recently according to some teammembers..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

snoop1050

anthony davidson on the sky sports f1 show announced hamilton is bringing atleast 4-5 tenths to the team

marcush.

snoop1050 wrote:anthony davidson on the sky sports f1 show announced hamilton is bringing atleast 4-5 tenths to the team
sure ..the same 4tenths he brought todays? or is he saving them up for next year? If he really said this he needs to consult a braindoctor soon...ah wait ..he was over one second slower than Button todays...
by that weird logic he would have been better placed in qualy than driving the Mclaren todays....it does simply not stack up
I think speedwise -absolute speed he might have a slight edge over anyone -maybe- he can wrestle something from a bad car undoubtedly but that does not make him or the car a winner ..

but lets wait and see.

beelsebob

marcush. wrote:
snoop1050 wrote:anthony davidson on the sky sports f1 show announced hamilton is bringing atleast 4-5 tenths to the team
sure ..the same 4tenths he brought todays? or is he saving them up for next year? If he really said this he needs to consult a braindoctor soon...ah wait ..he was over one second slower than Button todays...
by that weird logic he would have been better placed in qualy than driving the Mclaren todays....it does simply not stack up
I think speedwise -absolute speed he might have a slight edge over anyone -maybe- he can wrestle something from a bad car undoubtedly but that does not make him or the car a winner ..

but lets wait and see.
Not to argue particularly with the point being made either way... But really, trying to argue against a general statement based on a single result, that's a serious outlier? What are you smoking?

jdlive

Hasn't done anything worthwhile in 6y with Mclaren, blames Mclaren for lack of succes = will always blame external sources and will never amount to anything.

I think they are actually very glad they got rid of him.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

example

God forbid you say something against Vettel on this forum, but the --- some people write about Lewis constantly gets overlooked.

snoop1050

marcush. wrote:

but lets wait and see.
you question davidson? he has 24 GP starts! surely he is in a position to know exactly how many tenths hamilton brings? noone ever doubted alonsos 3 tenths