Fastest F1 driver of all time?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LionKing
LionKing

Re: Fastest F1 driver of all time?

The first two years yes but not in third year. In 2012 quali was 10-10 between Micheal and Nico.

Artur Craft

Not only the age, but Schumacher had brain damage after his motorcycle accident in 2009.

After his skii accident, the doctor who treated him back then(in 2009) said he lost half the blood irrigation to the cerebellum, as his left artery broke and there are only two of those that feeds the cerebellum. According to them, the cerebellum is responsible for motricity, specially when it comes to reaction capacity.

Comparing Schumacher and Rosberg during qualifyings in 2012 and that with the qualifying between Hamilton and Rosberg in 2013, I would say both current Mercedes drivers are imho likely to be a far cry from drivers of 80's and early 90's such as Mansell, Bellof, Senna, Schumacher and Hakkinen. At least when it comes to pure speed...

But then, I respect everybody's opinion as there is always the possibility of heated reactions in discussions of this sort

FoxHound

JimClarkFan wrote:Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna

I don't think I could choose between them
Villenueve (Snr), Peterson, Hakkinen?
JET set

zonk
zonk

Call me a fanboy... KUBICA!

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

FoxHound wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna

I don't think I could choose between them
Villenueve (Snr), Peterson, Hakkinen?

Not in my view. Those are my top 3.

JACINT
JACINT

Very few drivers have proven their abilities in poor cars as Alonso has done.

Very few drivers have fought for titles driving non-winning cars as Alonso has done

Very few drivers have won championships and races with a non-winning car as Alonso has done.

No doubt, Fernando is my bet. Winning bet.

Senna second. The third place is for a lot of drivers, but in any case, I don't include Schumacher and Vettel, for sure.

el-Magico
el-Magico

JACINT wrote:Very few drivers have proven their abilities in poor cars as Alonso has done.

Very few drivers have fought for titles driving non-winning cars as Alonso has done

Very few drivers have won championships and races with a non-winning car as Alonso has done.

I am also an Alonso fan, but I think it is untrue that Alonso has won championships with a non-winning car..
If you would change Alonso's name in Schumacher's name, than I would agree..

For me Schumacher, Senna and Prost are the all time best.. Closely followed by Alonso, Hakkinen and Raikkonen..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

JACINT
JACINT

Obviously, Fernando hasn't driven dominant cars such as F2002, RB10 or MP4/4. His 2005&2006 cars were competent, fast but I would say not the most competent and the fastest ones in that time.

el-Magico
el-Magico

He drove the MP4/22..
But I think that the Renault of 05 and 06 was pretty much a winning car..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

JACINT
JACINT

el-Magico wrote:He drove the MP4/22..
But I think that the Renault of 05 and 06 was pretty much a winning car..
Ask Fisichella about it. And then ask Barrichello about the F2002, Webber about the RB7, RB8, RB9 and RB10 and ask Prost about the MP4/4.

Different answers, for sure. Raikkonen's McLaren was faster than R25, and the Ferrari 248 F1 without the engine failure in Suzuka would have made a really great comeback for the title.

Let's stop polluting the post, if you agree ;)

PD: MP4/22 was the only winning car in the Alonso's hands and the team ruined all.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

ringo wrote:Well now we can put Hamilton into some perspective with Kimi going against Alonso. It will shed light on Massa's pace as well.
As for shumacher Rosberg was a good test, but i feel Michael can't be in his prime in his forties. He had his but kickek by Rosberg however.
For me Senna>>Schumacher>>Fangio>>Prost>>Lauda>>Hamilton>>Alonso>>Mansell>>Kimi>>Fitipaldi>>Kubica>>Vettel>>Rosberg

Rosberg doesnt get the credit he deserves after beating the master. Kimi vs Alonso will be mouthwatering every race. This season Massa may have a shot at the title in that Williams.
zonk wrote:Call me a fanboy... KUBICA!
Indeed Kubica is a beast on track.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Artur Craft wrote:Not only the age, but Schumacher had brain damage after his motorcycle accident in 2009.

After his skii accident, the doctor who treated him back then(in 2009) said he lost half the blood irrigation to the cerebellum, as his left artery broke and there are only two of those that feeds the cerebellum. According to them, the cerebellum is responsible for motricity, specially when it comes to reaction capacity.

Comparing Schumacher and Rosberg during qualifyings in 2012 and that with the qualifying between Hamilton and Rosberg in 2013, I would say both current Mercedes drivers are imho likely to be a far cry from drivers of 80's and early 90's such as Mansell, Bellof, Senna, Schumacher and Hakkinen. At least when it comes to pure speed...

But then, I respect everybody's opinion as there is always the possibility of heated reactions in discussions of this sort
+2. that little fact on schumacher has grown my respect for Schumacher quite significantly. I'll admit i've been annoyed in the past by the fact it got boring when he was constantly winning, and that he had a certain arrogance that I think harmed his image. BUT having said that - that doesn't change the fact he is a (sufficiently deserved) 7-time world champion, and has been a great f1 driver since his very first race in f1 ever.

I will never regard any f1 driver above Senna - despite that, schumacher earned his fair share of respect. and having read that little moto accident fact, i was like :shock: :shock: :o :wtf:

because with that handicap, he did manage to compete in the highest level of motor racing, and, that, actually at the front for as far as that car got him there. but not just that, but that he can fend off young guns with such a serious 'handicap', and hamilton equal to rosberg in 2013, suggests a handicapped schumacher is more or less equal to a full-healthy hamilton, (because rosberg was equal to a brain-handicapped schumacher)

just simply tells me; WHAT if schumi was in full health? :shock: can't change history - but man, i'm inclined to believe, he could have fought for another world title without too much effort.

anyway - fastest f1 driver of all time? i don't know. it depends.

i can tell you my personal favourites, but that doesn't equal honestly f1 fastest driver, because there are too many variables to put into account there. still, senna monaco vs prost in a same car is just legendary. especially since it was life on the line, just at the edge back then.

so, either way, it seems to still sum up into Ayrton Senna de Silva.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ringo

We're keeping to the fastest arguement. Not necessarily the best.
I think Shumacher is the greatest, but i don't think he's the fastest of them all.

Clarke, Senna, Hamilton are my picks. But i can't say who's better obviously as the circumstances are different. Another factor is the relative fitness and performance of the competition. It would have been easier to mop the floor with the competition if it's not as fit or as focused.
For Sure!!

FoxHound

Fair enough as it is your opinion. But I would say Hakkinen had Schumacher licked for pure pace over a lap.
The way he made those McLaren's squirm under his boot was roy of the rovers stuff particularly when MSC was in car comparable to Maximum attack Hakkinen.
Schumacher was superior in race trim as he had the stamina and nous for battle. He is renowned as "der Meister" for this and of course "der regen meister" for his rain heroics.

Hakkinen was just your balls to the wall fly machine. Over a lap was like a demented, demonically possessed bat out of hell with rocket fuel for batshit.
Coulthard was fast in his day, and he was decimated by Hakkinen. Senna felt the wrath of the speed on Hakkinens debut.....outqualified.

Villenueve Snr was also the kind of guy that could literally pluck a second from thin air. You only need visit youtube to see the man's absolute devotion to making 600kgs go faster than is plausible. I hadn't the pleasure of watching him race as I was just out of dad's bag if you catch a man's drift.
But I know enough to say the people I've spoken to at event's I attend, attest to the man's absolute genius at making cars do things you will not credit a mortal to do. He was a top gun, one that deserves recognition amongst Senna, MSC et al. And if you are in any doubt about this, please watch his battle with Rene Arnoux in what is a definite example of speed. It was all about speed.

And Ronnie Peterson? A shameful thing about this world is that you can see the man burned alive(youtube), yet you cannot see his prowess at speed.
Speed.
JET set

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

JACINT wrote:Very few drivers have proven their abilities in poor cars as Alonso has done.

Senna second. The third place is for a lot of drivers, but in any case, I don't include Schumacher and Vettel, for sure.
I think Alonso might be the best F1 driver of all time with Schum, he is, like you said universally fast and thus far has proven that he can driver everything. His race craft is exceptional, his ability to make a dog of car is one of the best. I think he has more of the great qualities than any other driver he isn't really weak anywhere.. However I don't believe he is the fastest over one lap, he is just a slither outside for me.
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 02 Mar 2014, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.