Return of San Marino GP?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gerhard Berger

Re: Return of San Marino GP?

Vasconia wrote:Since the changes made after 1994 Imola has offered a lot of dull races, its very trickty to overtake and without re-fuelling or high degradation the race could be terribly boring.
True, though with the removal of Variante Bassa, there should now be an overtaking opportunity into Tamburello.

Vasconia

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Since the changes made after 1994 Imola has offered a lot of dull races, its very trickty to overtake and without re-fuelling or high degradation the race could be terribly boring.
True, though with the removal of Variante Bassa, there should now be an overtaking opportunity into Tamburello.
Oh, I didnt know that, good news. Anyway, lests see what happens, the return of A-Ring or a race in Portugal would be good too.

FW17

Vasconia wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:
Oh, I didnt know that, good news. Anyway, lests see what happens, the return of A-Ring or a race in Portugal would be good too.

Pre 1995 was not any better for overtaking

Pandamasque

Current layout
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20J4QaT0ZIY[/youtube]

AlpineF1

Wants this rumored in 2011 too?
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Neno

San Marino will never return in F1. I never see any track before who was used in f1 before, later removed, and back again in calendar. Also, you need count in that 2 condition: money and track layout. F1 was become show, like tv show. It's not anymore auto and moto sport. If Bernie dont see in San Marino chance for grab big deal of money track will never
return, also you need count layout of track. Today in F1 is all about show, if San Marino layout looks boring without chance for overtake and overtaking is everything last 2 years in f1 (this is why we have stupid DRS for making more show then motosport) track dont have chance.

fritticaldi

Thank you Pandamasque for the video showing the layout. It looks like an excellent track for GT competition, GP2 and lower formulas. Sadly Imola suffers the same fate as Brands Hatch, Zandvoort and so many other great tracks of once upon a time.

Pandamasque

I never see any track before who was used in f1 before, later removed, and back again in calendar.
Spa returned, even Bahrain did. Imola won't return because Imola has no real reasons to pay an 8 digit figure required.

beelsebob

Pandamasque wrote:
I never see any track before who was used in f1 before, later removed, and back again in calendar.
Spa returned, even Bahrain did. Imola won't return because Imola has no real reasons to pay an 8 digit figure required.
Silverstone too, and Sazuka.

Neno

beelsebob wrote:
Pandamasque wrote:
Silverstone too, and Sazuka.
I thinked more like Grand Prix. Suzuka i Fuji were changing fover years for Japanese GP. Bahrein? Bahrein was always in calendar, for some other reasons 2011 race was canceled, but it was there. And Silverstone from 1986 is British GP, and i was born 1991. Imola, better say San Marino Gp will never be back in calendar again, whether it was the reason money or layout of track.

And i forgot on Spa and that two years of absence.

raymondu999

Well there was a chance of them scrapping silverstone for donnington in 2010.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

Gerhard Berger wrote:
And, if out of Tamburello with Villeneuve chicane removed another good overtaking spot into the Tosa hairpin can be added.

Or with even more overtaking with Variante Alta removed

Pandamasque

Neither change can be made because the run-offs at Tosa and Rivazza aren't large enough and cannot be extended, there are buildings and stuff...
Both places are good for overtaking anyway. Perhaps one can be aided with DRS. The start-finish straight doesn't even need a DRS zone.

FW17

1) There are no buildings at tosa hairpin.

2) Approach speed before Rivazza would go up from 300 kmph (as it was during the v10 days) to about 330 kmph (assuming the max speed at monza with current v8) so there is an increase in speed which can be safely tackled by changing the current gravel trap to asphalt runoff.