McLaren Fans: Jenson Button As Team Leader

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: McLaren Fans: Jenson Button As Team Leader

raymondu999 wrote:While I don't agree that McLaren drive with a number 1 number 2 in that they order one to give way for the other, I think they're somewhat guilty of "managing" the driver selection by choosing one driver deliberately slower than the other.
I agree, naturally you don't want an Alonso-Hamilton situation.
Honda!

example

dren wrote:
Button and Kimi will fight for the championship next year.
Are you joking? I'm not quite sure.

dren

example wrote:
dren wrote:
Nope, I'm not. Just wait.
Honda!

Nando

dren wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:While I don't agree that McLaren drive with a number 1 number 2 in that they order one to give way for the other, I think they're somewhat guilty of "managing" the driver selection by choosing one driver deliberately slower than the other.
I agree, naturally you don't want an Alonso-Hamilton situation.
Ferrari and the other teams figured out this a long time ago.

Basically what makes you a nr2 driver is your own performance. No more no less.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

JimClarkFan

dren wrote:
example wrote:
dren wrote:
Nope, I'm not. Just wait.
Based on what info. I'm pretty sure Mclaren will be up there, but not so sure about Lotus.

PlatinumZealot

The Lotus was right up there as one of the best cars. The WDC was possible with it since it finished every race and qualified P5 and up most of the time. Some argue that it was the best overall car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Shrieker

McLaren don't have a team leader. Even when Hamilton was mopping the floor with Button this last season, he wasn't given any privileges over him. If Button gets preferential treatment over Perez by the team -now that Hamilton is gone- they will be revealed as hypocrites, especially Whitmarsh.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Cam

Shrieker wrote:McLaren don't have a team leader. Even when Hamilton was mopping the floor with Button this last season, he wasn't given any privileges over him. If Button gets preferential treatment over Perez by the team -now that Hamilton is gone- they will be revealed as hypocrites, especially Whitmarsh.
Just based on simple business management techniques, Button will be the team leader and will have a greater say over car development and the team - initially anyway. Perez has never seen the simulator, never met the engineers, never driven the car, has no idea what the team strategy is (I could go on) - so how on earth would Perez and his opinion be of equal to the veteran Button?

This is not a slight on Perez and I'm sure the team will take on board his thoughts - however to not see and use Button as the lead driver, at a time of strategic loss, simply removes all basic business principles - which McLaren won't do.

There's nothing hypocritical about it - their 'lead' driver is gone and a very raw and young driver is on board. The 'business' must now heavily rely on their strongest staff to pull performance and try to minimise losses that the exit of an experienced driver has. Perez (Whitmash calls the 'rough diamond') is not someone McLaren is going to go all in on in the first year. Perez might leap out of the box and slap Button silly on the track, even if that occurs, Perez will need to earn the teams trust and earn the respect of the engineers - then, compared to Button, we might see equality. Stripes are earned - not given.

When you run a business, you will see.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

example

But Mclaren approached him not the other way around, that means he's already earned their respect.

Cam

Not necessarily. Just because you hire someone does not mean you respect them. There are plenty of examples of companies hiring people simply to hurt their competition - it has nothing to do with respect for the individual. Just as companies hire people as a 'gamble' as to what they might achieve or be able to bring to business at a later date. Simply because someone is hired does not automatically mean they have equal rights - or even they fully know the real reasons they were hired in the first place.

I have no doubt that McLaren consider Perez a 'prospect', but that's all it is at the moment. That shouldn't be confused with 'equal status respect'. These are two very different situations. Publicly, the 'PR Face' will smile harmoniously and talk of equal this and shared that, but behind doors Button will lead, Perez will need to prove himself. And Perez will do himself no harm by letting Button take that role. Perez can sit back, let Button lead the charge, while he learns, listens and grows as a driver - and perhaps make a serious move in 2014 and look to take over in 2015.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

example

Yes but in my opinion the nature of formula is different. Teams need both drivers to drive well. Massa for example had poor first half of the season, which had a bit of impact on team's season.
That's true Perez is considered as one for the future in eyes of Mclaren, at least that's what MW says, but they really need this to work out after the dissapointing season they had. I'm afraid if Perez has a poor start knifes will be out.

I agree, Button is a known quantity for them so it makes sense for them trust him more, but this is McLaren we are talking about. As Shrieker said, they messed up their season when they refused to support the driver who deserved privileges.
I remember at the start of the season someone predicted the result if they don't do that.

Nando

Cam wrote:Just because you hire someone does not mean you respect them.
Well you certainly do not hire someone you do not respect.
I´m positive they respect him as a human being, but as a driver, that stuff needs to be earned on track in a Mclaren.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Cam

Button has 230 F1 races under his belt.
Perez has 39.

Button has raced for (in order) Williams, Benetton - Renault, BAR - Honda, Brawn, McLaren.
Perez has raced for Sauber.

Button has 24 years experience in racing across all levels - 12 with top F1 teams and personnel (consider the knowledge that brings).
Perez has 16 years experience - 2 in F1.

While of course you can respect Perez for what he has done, when you line him up against Button - who do you respect more?
Here in-lies why Hamilton was the 'lead' driver - and why Button will now be the 'lead' driver - regardless of what is said publicly. Perez simply doesn't have the miles to give wide ranging and objective feedback yet.
― Socrates

raymondu999

Cam wrote:While of course you can respect Perez for what he has done, when you line him up against Button - who do you respect more?
To be fair, Cam - who you respect more has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you respect the guy. Sure I'd respect Button more - but that doesn't mean I don't respect Perez.

If anything, hiring is in and of itself a show of respect - hiring Perez would be a show of respect that my company is better off having Perez, than not having Perez - for whatever reason (even if the reason is to keep Perez from going to my archrival's backyard.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

raymondu999 wrote:If anything, hiring is in and of itself a show of respect - hiring Perez would be a show of respect that my company is better off having Perez, than not having Perez - for whatever reason (even if the reason is to keep Perez from going to my archrival's backyard.
I'm not so sure, but to be clear, I like Perez, I respect him as a driver and think he'll do great at McLaren. I was pointing out why Button and Perez will not be 'equal' next year and that respect played a part.

Hiring is definitely not a show of respect and seeing 'paying drivers' on the F1 grid is testament to that. There's now way you can respect a driver who's purely there as he's cashed up and is preventing someone with raw pure talent from driving. Well, I can't anyway. Let's agree to disagree on that one.
― Socrates