The most succesful TV graphics ever.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tathan
tathan

Re: The most succesful TV graphics ever.

Paul wrote:Interestingly enough, I remember that (ages ago) there was an analogue graphic for brake application, I wonder how that was done/calibrated...
Suppose you could do it as a fraction of the max pressure seen, which you'd see several times a lap for calibration. Or you could just do it knowing a) the brakes are on and b) the decel (which you'd have from the speed).

Does anybody know how the data is presented when the stewards see it?

Richard
Richard

It would help to have some images. What was so special about 1998-2003 and 2005?

My view is that with internet everywhere and online live timing we need very few graphics about position and lap time. I'd limit on screen graphics to car dynamics (braking, acceleration, KERS, DRS), and also comparisons between drivers, ie the delta between two drivers for the most recent laps.

raymondu999

You say that richard - and while I would happily take the arrangement you propose, you have to remember that the bulk of the audience probably would depend on on-screen visuals, as opposed to opening live timing. I know of a good few people who are more casual fans than myself who do that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mariano
mariano

Jersey Tom wrote:I believe this topic has come up before. With regard to brakes it's not really straight forward to display like that. Throttle is relatively easy in that it's a fixed scale of 0 to 100%. Brake pressure isn't. Depending on the car design, setup, and driver the max brake pressure can vary quite a bit. I'd see that as a bit of a pain for a TV broadcast to manage. Even the units that each team have their sensors calibrated to, are they all psi? Bar? kPa? What value do you pick as a global maximum? Easier to have it as an on/off display.

Steering is easy I suppose, but for that matter you can already see what the driver is doing on the wheel, no?

mariano
mariano

What I like of the graphics that are actually in use is that they show tire strategies and the "fights" for positions, with differences (time).
What I dislike is that they don´t show the order in an "8 group list", except at the start (and re-starts with safety car and/or red flag).

I prefer they did as in 2008, with the "8 group list" and the list below the screen as in NASCAR (where it is above).

Ah, and I would prefer that the qualy times were showed like the free practice times.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OKLGvXKj3o[/youtube] and [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWYsJ3nFraQ[/youtube]

A question: why, in the firsts races of 2004, they compared (in the race) the current speed of any driver with his fastest and with that of the fastest man, and from middle 2004 onwards they do so only with that driver but not with the fastest man (only top and current for that driver9?
Last edited by mariano on 03 Jan 2013, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

mariano
mariano

n smikle wrote:I wish they put the throttle and brake icons like Gran turismo 3. And possible a steering icon. So we can see how the driver is steering.

Imagine these two icons added to the screen every now and then. Now imagine this in Monaco! =P~
How to post images?

hollus

Rivals, not enemies.

mariano
mariano

My favourite TV graphics is 2004-2008, specially 2005.

qualy: 2004/2005

gaps in race: 2004/5

g-force: 2007/8 (traction circle)

laps counter: 2006-8 (includes yellow flag)

speed traps race: first races of 2004 (comparative between a driver and the fastest man)

rev counter: 2005-8 (with TC, if the TC wasn´t showed in 2008, it was because it was banned, not a problem of the graphics).

coloum at the left with race positions: 2006-8 (with the lap at the right of the leader)

Fuel: 2006-8 (with "For Additional" instead of "Prediction")

and the other thinks that apperared in 2005 and continued up to now: coloum at the left that compares the grid positions with the current positions, gaps of two drivers in the last three laps, gaps of two drivers in the three sectors + entire lap.

I don´t write in this list of my favourite things the things that appeared in 2004 and continued up to 2008 witout any change ("8 driver" lists and FIA announcements).

mariano
mariano

thanks

mariano
mariano

In which race of 2004 the TV started to show the fuel every driver loaded in his car, and in which race of 2004 the TV stopped to compare the trap speeds (top and current) with the overall top speed (it started to compare top and current of only one driver)?

Spacepace

Not only were the graphics in the early 2000's better but the camera angles were so much more intense. You actually got a sense of the speed, you don't get that nowadays. They would shoot the car far away and keep the same camera distance when it reached the corner, you could see how fast the car came up on you.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

On the topic of onboards, I have much much preferred eye-level cameras on the cars, and/or helmet cameras on the drivers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4pun6j0Fg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZrmgeNXTR4[/youtube]

I'd be happy with that and no extra graphics.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

PlatinumZealot

Jersey Tom wrote:I believe this topic has come up before. With regard to brakes it's not really straight forward to display like that. Throttle is relatively easy in that it's a fixed scale of 0 to 100%. Brake pressure isn't. Depending on the car design, setup, and driver the max brake pressure can vary quite a bit. I'd see that as a bit of a pain for a TV broadcast to manage. Even the units that each team have their sensors calibrated to, are they all psi? Bar? kPa? What value do you pick as a global maximum? Easier to have it as an on/off display.

Steering is easy I suppose, but for that matter you can already see what the driver is doing on the wheel, no?
They can just make the brakes on a relative scale then. Like 0 to 100% but I like the idea of putting the newtons applied to the pedal. The could put the newtons as sum of two functions (front and rear) of the brake line pressure and cylinder size and pedal length. Then we can see which drivers exert more braking force and who's strength fades faster as the race goes on?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Well that's more or less measuring brake line pressure. To add another sensor.. an axial load cell or something in the brake pedal.. seems like extra work.

Still you have the same question. What scale do you pick?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

raymondu999

Yes. If you're going to have a "progress bar" type indicator on screen for braking, then obviously something has to be 0% - which is easy enough, at 0 braking - but how much braking will indicate a "full bar?" Of course you can artificially set the 100% mark at a level higher than any driver has ever braked, in a way - but then other drivers might one day be able to bust that.

I wonder if instead, we could do it on pedal travel. Does anyone know if the travel distance for F1 brake pedals is linear to the force applied? For example I know in some jet fighters today they have joysticks that have little or no movement - but just sense the pressure and take that as input, rather than a real joystick movement.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法