Most beautiful F1 car?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shepard

Re: Most beautiful F1 car?

Ferrari 641 - yes sir!

Daliracing

timbo wrote:
CarverTia wrote:I really love the Benetton Ford B193 B of 1993 that Michael Schumacher was driving ( the first win for him for those who dont remember )
Nope, first win came year earlier.
Spa 1992 :D

RicerDude

2000 Williams BMW

Loved the almost retro style livery and simple lines.

SectorOne

And it sang so beautifully as well. Complete utter monster.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

N12ck

Gotta be the Red Bull Racing Renault RB7

Budding F1 Engineer

xpensive

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

Not F1

but in 1994 if you had put a CART next an F1, my eyes would have certainly been on the CART (not sure if it is the wide low stance or what), but F1 had an unspeakable charm about it when on track.

djos

Not to mention CART had a full ground effects underbody!
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:Not to mention CART had a full ground effects underbody!
Back then I did not know jack abt ground effects or regulations, constructors etc. #-o

Life was simpler then

Just_a_fan

F1 has a ground effect underbody - that's what the diffuser is all about, after all. Did you mean the CART has tunnels? Sure, but without sliding skirts to seal those tunnels it's not full ground effect really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:
F1 has a ground effect underbody - that's what the diffuser is all about, after all. Did you mean the CART has tunnels? Sure, but without sliding skirts to seal those tunnels it's not full ground effect really.
He meant ground effect in its full form of shaped under side extending the full length of the floor

Have you not heard of vortex generators to form an air seal?

Just_a_fan

Just about every major race car runs ground effect. It's a term that is used, by some, to mean tunnel-cars but that's just a selective use because it was first used in relation to the tunnel-and-skirt F1 cars. A current F1 car runs in ground effect and uses a shaped underfloor to generate downforce. Look at the leading edge of a modern F1 car floor, the diffuser and the shaping of the floor edge along with turning vanes etc. All of these work to generate downforce and to improve sealing of the floor. Tunnels are not the defining part of a ground effect design.

djos

I did say "full ground effects underbody" did I not?

F1 cars have flat underbodies and any ground effects they create are merely a clever hack to try and simulate what they lost when tunnels where banned.
"In downforce we trust"

xDama

Ow, the 90's CART... One of my all time favorite cars ever, without a doubt. Imo the definition of how a modern single-seater should look like, even after all those years! Perfect in every way, even the tyres/rims.

I absolutely adored this car as a kid.
Last edited by xDama on 01 Oct 2014, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Just_a_fan

djos wrote:I did say "full ground effects underbody" did I not?
Like I said, the term ground effect is misused in that regard. Tunnels is not ground effect. Interaction of lower surfaces with the ground is ground effect.

Anyway, the CART underfloor shown above is not a "tunnel ground effect" floor. The bits indicated as tunnels are just diffusers and the vortex generators at the front are designed to use "vortex lift" to create downforce. I.e. they generate vortices which, by virtue of their low pressure cores, create downforce.

F1cars are ground effect devices.