2013 Testing - Jerez 5-8 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ajdavison2

Re: 2013 Testing - Jerez 5-8 Feb

n smikle wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:
The new Red Bull looks a step forward from the car that ended the 2012 season fighting for wins with McLaren. Aerodynamically it is efficient, as Adrian Newey’s cars always are. It’s not done any eye catching times yet; this is classic Red Bull, they don’t show their hand. As has been the trend in recent years, the Red Bull is the second slowest car on the straights: Vettel was clocked at 291km/h in the speed trap, compared to 305km/h for Force India and Lotus.
The parts I have highlighted each contradict each other do they not? Claiming that the Red Bull is aerodynamically efficient, but is also nearly the slowest in a straight line? Also I was under the impression that Newey's cars have never really been very efficient in the sense that he has always gone for the high DF/low top speed approach? Assuming that I'm understanding 'aerodynamically efficient' to mean high DF/low drag?
RedBull is damn aero-efficient. What you see is gearing... the bulls don't need top speed because they can accelerate like a bat out of hell.
Hasn't it been quite well documented that the RBR cars since about the rb6 have had inherently draggy chassis?

beelsebob

n smikle wrote:A little gift

Wow, looking at that, I can suddenly see why Merc think they have a top 3 car this year.

Where's Ferrari though?

GrizzleBoy

What does it mean O_O

Saribro

Looks like laptime progressions across stints.

CHT
CHT

beelsebob wrote:
CHT wrote:I thought what they did was changing the gear ratio and aero set up to maximize their straight line speed within the drs zone so that he can overtake the slower cars. Which part is illegal?
The DDRS part of it.
why was ddrs even illegal when other teams are also running their own version?

Red Schneider

At a glance the chart looks decent for Merc to my eye. I was initially put off by the very high slopes of the Merc lines in some areas, and their stints to the right didn't look very competitive, but in the bottom right they look almost like a match for McLaren, for whatever it's worth.

There are only three Red Bull lines but they look tops to me.

You want a low line with as little slope as possible.

(Those are minimum seven lap stints - laptime in seconds on the vertical axis, laps on the horizontal)

Forza

beelsebob wrote:
Wow, looking at that, I can suddenly see why Merc think they have a top 3 car this year.

Where's Ferrari though?
The graph only shows 7 laps+ (vueltas) long stints and as timing from f1tests.info suggests Ferrari only did max 6 timed laps on day 4. However they've longer runs on day 2-graph and day 3-graph.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Javert

McLaren Pit stop problem at 06:10 :mrgreen:
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 11 Feb 2013, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quoted video

GrizzleBoy

And when he comes in for the next stop, he stops too far and can't see the light system properly.

When Sergio pulls out to be wheeled back in, the mechanics throw a black towel over the exhausts......with the initials "LH" on them.

It would be interesting to know whether they used these towels last year. If they are a new thing, we can imagine that McLaren would have fully expected Lewis to be with them right now.

beelsebob

CHT wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
CHT wrote:I thought what they did was changing the gear ratio and aero set up to maximize their straight line speed within the drs zone so that he can overtake the slower cars. Which part is illegal?
The DDRS part of it.
why was ddrs even illegal when other teams are also running their own version?
It wasn't – the assertion was that it will be illegal in 2013.

Mandrake

Bob I still don't get why you insist their DDRS helped them in AbuDhabi......

They've had it bolted on before and after the change. The effect hasn't changed. Everything else has, wing angles, gear ratios, that's been it. DDRS helped them before and after. Key change was setting the car up for higher topspeed sacrificing cornering speed. They could still do it this year. Also, topspeed is not everything (when not in a dogfight), remember when RedBull won in Monza with one of the slowest cars....They want to accelerate quicker, others want to have a higher top speed.

That last bit was to see in Austin, LH could not pass vettel on the straight as long as nobody cocked up in front of vettel.

dren

The Merc is chewing its rear tires again, likely due to a lack of rear downforce.
Honda!

Alexgtt

GrizzleBoy wrote:And when he comes in for the next stop, he stops too far and can't see the light system properly.

When Sergio pulls out to be wheeled back in, the mechanics throw a black towel over the exhausts......with the initials "LH" on them.

It would be interesting to know whether they used these towels last year. If they are a new thing, we can imagine that McLaren would have fully expected Lewis to be with them right now.
They used them right through last year.

Juzh

Mandrake wrote:Bob I still don't get why you insist their DDRS helped them in AbuDhabi......

They've had it bolted on before and after the change. The effect hasn't changed. Everything else has, wing angles, gear ratios, that's been it. DDRS helped them before and after. Key change was setting the car up for higher topspeed sacrificing cornering speed. They could still do it this year. Also, topspeed is not everything (when not in a dogfight), remember when RedBull won in Monza with one of the slowest cars....They want to accelerate quicker, others want to have a higher top speed.

That last bit was to see in Austin, LH could not pass vettel on the straight as long as nobody cocked up in front of vettel.
Very good explanation. +1