2013 Testing - Barcelona 1: 19 - 22 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wunderkind
wunderkind

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Looks like the W04 has good raw speed. If they are fast in Barcelona, they should be fastest everywhere. This is really looking good! The tyre degradation issue is not that worrisome, lets hope they will get on top of it soon.

f1316
f1316

Re: 2013 Testing - Barcelona 1: 19 - 28 Feb

So mediums too for Alonso then.

His best time was set on a longer run than the other front-running times. Doesn't really prove anything about fuel loads, but may or may not be significant.

Forza

Here is his final stint on mediums

BCN Test 02 - day 1- Final times

LotusF1
LotusF1

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

was vettels time on medium or hards?

dren

Honda!

Shakeman

k.ko100v wrote:
andrewf1 wrote:
Dyanxx wrote:Rosberg just went quickest with a 1:22.616 lap =D>
given the fact that last year they did a 1:23:005 in low-fuel Q3 with softs (or was it supersofts?), this time on mediums in testing with an unknown fuel-load is an improvement.
Last year in Q3 they used Softs, wich are this year medium. So we somehow can remove the tyres as a factor, for comparising the pace. But In Q3 the car is with min amount of fuel, today the car has fuel for min. 5 - 7 or maybe 10 laps. And (maybe the biggest difference) last year they use DRS on every straight, today only on the start-finish.
To my knowledge there's no limit on DRS usage like on a F1 weekend. Therefore I don't believe anyone knows when a team is using DRS as this is testing and they can do the whole lap with the DRS open if they want. So you can't make sweeping statements about comparative times.

dren

Didn't the teams all agree to only use it on the straight during testing?

As for the car...There was a sensor coming off the rear wing above the rear right tire. I think the brake ducts were new. The rear is slimmer with new heat resistant coating.
Last edited by dren on 19 Feb 2013, 18:48, edited 2 times in total.
Honda!

clipsy1H

nice times but season didn't start.... but car looks good (better than last year).

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

dren wrote:Didn't the teams all agree to only use it on the straight during testing?
I'm sure they did, I definitely read it somewhere.

korzeniow
korzeniow

@dren You forgot about Lotus
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Forza

Korzeniow this chart only shows 7+laps long stints and Lotus didn't do any today.

MacX

wunderkind wrote:Looks like the W04 has good raw speed. If they are fast in Barcelona, they should be fastest everywhere. This is really looking good! The tyre degradation issue is not that worrisome, lets hope they will get on top of it soon.
It only tests we do not know what level of fuel was .. Yet the Lewis said that W04 did not have enough down force in comparison with the mp4-27

prince
prince

Shakeman wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
andrewf1 wrote:
given the fact that last year they did a 1:23:005 in low-fuel Q3 with softs (or was it supersofts?), this time on mediums in testing with an unknown fuel-load is an improvement.
Last year in Q3 they used Softs, wich are this year medium. So we somehow can remove the tyres as a factor, for comparising the pace. But In Q3 the car is with min amount of fuel, today the car has fuel for min. 5 - 7 or maybe 10 laps. And (maybe the biggest difference) last year they use DRS on every straight, today only on the start-finish.
To my knowledge there's no limit on DRS usage like on a F1 weekend. Therefore I don't believe anyone knows when a team is using DRS as this is testing and they can do the whole lap with the DRS open if they want. So you can't make sweeping statements about comparative times.
Why would they want to cheat themselves with false times? More than anyone else, Merc themselves want to see where they belong this year and they certainly won't get this understanding, if they use DRS outside of regulations.

Anon123
Anon123

MacX wrote:
wunderkind wrote:Looks like the W04 has good raw speed. If they are fast in Barcelona, they should be fastest everywhere. This is really looking good! The tyre degradation issue is not that worrisome, lets hope they will get on top of it soon.
It only tests we do not know what level of fuel was .. Yet the Lewis said that W04 did not have enough down force in comparison with the mp4-27
He did have the old front wing, I assume Jerez will have less grip than most F1 tracks and a lot of other parts have been changed since then.

dren

korzeniow wrote:@dren You forgot about Lotus
I snagged this from somewhere else. It just shows the 7+ lap stints as Forza stated. The Lotus was very good on 4 lap stints, but it's hard to compare.

The Ferrari looks to be the worst in tire degredation based on this graph. The Mclaren looks to be about the best.

The Mercedes first long run has a curve to it and is all over the place. It's hard to read that one.
Honda!