Poor coverage by NBCSN in US

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theblackangus

Re: Poor coverage by NBCSN in US

n smikle wrote:Its the same speed commentators though. I think the same parent company too.

Coverage was OK.. except for commercials.

I got so turned off, I literally turned off and went to a Sky stream.
Yes - it was the rate of commercials that bothered me so much.
Thanks for a little moral support! =)

mantikos

n smikle wrote:Its the same speed commentators though. I think the same parent company too.

Coverage was OK.. except for commercials.

I got so turned off, I literally turned off and went to a Sky stream.

No Speed's parent company is Fox...NBC is well NBC

My only issues was them talking over the team radio and not repeating the team radio...other than that FAR better production and coverage than Speed's low budget BS

thisisatest

my gripes revolve around the split screen commercials: i believe they play five commercials during those breaks (except for the last time, that was only two), full commercials were about three. with Speed, it was always three. taped on a DVR, it was very easy to anticipate when to push PLAY after fast forwarding.
on top of that, and because during the split screen you can still see the race, they dont review what happened during the break. it's not always clear what was happening in the small picture, and there were a couple team radios that occurred. and a couple very good passes. none replayed once full screen resumed. bummer.
other than that, i liked it.

zeph

Gotta say I liked NBC's coverage better than Speed's, and the action/commerical ratio was about the same, I'd say.

Guess I am just happy it's not on Fox Sports...

tk421

pgfpro wrote: The only thing that bugged me was some of the on boards didn't sync with the correct car. :lol:
But I'm sure the will have that fixed on the next race?
yeah that's what i found most annoying, you were looking at/onboard with one car but hearing another car's engine. otherwise, i like that they added fp1 coverage, thought commercials were about the same as speed, but kinda miss bob varsha
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

dren

zeph wrote:Gotta say I liked NBC's coverage better than Speed's, and the action/commerical ratio was about the same, I'd say.

Guess I am just happy it's not on Fox Sports...
I agree with that. It was much better than anticipated. And thank big baby jesus it wasn't on Fox.
Honda!

Bob Brown

pgfpro wrote:I was just happy I could watch it. I didn't think it was that bad.

The only thing that bugged me was some of the on boards didn't sync with the correct car. :lol:
But I'm sure the will have that fixed on the next race?
Yeah, well that audio sync problem is not NBC's fault. That belongs to Mr. Bernie Eccelstone himself and the official F1 feed that all networks get their feed from.

roeboat72

Other than the high rate of commercials i think NBC Sport did pretty good. I am just glad they have Steve Machett and David Hobbes

strad

theblackangus wrote:I have to ask was anyone else pretty unhappy with the NBCSN US coverage?
I was counting and there were breaks every 4 laps for 2 laps quite a lot. Granted the last 10-15 laps had commercial free coverage, but the frequency of the breaks from the begging to then were too much.
That presenters did a great job, but the commercials were almost unbearable.
I watched MLS just before and the commercials there were far less.
Also if they are going to do split screen commercials and race, it would be nice to make them equal size so people can see it with a magnifying glass - And do it through out the race and don't make some commercials full screen.
Sorry had to rant and hope other people felt the same. This seems like a step down from SPEED for sure.
Overall I agree...others seem to think me nuts but I can't stand the side by side,,it's just a distraction from having more ads...like the guy said though,,,I guess ya gotta blame greed,,,both Bernies and NBCs
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dren

strad wrote:
theblackangus wrote:I have to ask was anyone else pretty unhappy with the NBCSN US coverage?
I was counting and there were breaks every 4 laps for 2 laps quite a lot. Granted the last 10-15 laps had commercial free coverage, but the frequency of the breaks from the begging to then were too much.
That presenters did a great job, but the commercials were almost unbearable.
I watched MLS just before and the commercials there were far less.
Also if they are going to do split screen commercials and race, it would be nice to make them equal size so people can see it with a magnifying glass - And do it through out the race and don't make some commercials full screen.
Sorry had to rant and hope other people felt the same. This seems like a step down from SPEED for sure.
Overall I agree...others seem to think me nuts but I can't stand the side by side,,it's just a distraction from having more ads...like the guy said though,,,I guess ya gotta blame greed,,,both Bernies and NBCs
Production value has a price. I'm fine with it since the production value is better. The commentary was good.
Honda!

strad

Production value has a price. I'm fine with it since the production value is better
I'm sorry...You'll have to explain to me where this "better" production value is?
The actual coverage was pretty much the same except with more commercials.
Surely you don't mean that stupid multi purpose set they use...I'm mean really, who cares if they're sitting in Hobbs living room?...Hell, that would probably be better.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Well, they made that mechanic guy wear a tie.

AMNJG24F

I wasn't a huge fan of the coverage either. Commercial frequency is a lot higher than SPEED's ever was. I had no problem with the frequency of SPEED's commercials, but on Sunday I had to pull up an online feed after the third break just so I could actually see the race. And it wasn't even the high frequency, it was the fact that they were missing a lot of key points from the race. NBCSN has done a lot of thing's better than SPEED ever did, like a lot more coverage, the HD is a lot clearer than SPEED ever was (Speed's was always a little bit fuzzy to me, while NBC's is crisper), and they seem like they have really invested into the future with the advertising and F1 studio they've built. Saying that though, they've already been a bit of a let down. I thought they were supposed to air every practice, yet already the second race and they're only airing FP2, their online feed wasn't available for the first weekend (and I doubt it will be ready for Malaysia), and I heard that they were supposed to be broadcasting from Melbourne, but yet they still did it from a studio. It will be interesting to see how the coverage evolves, because it can honestly go either way.

They desperately need to mix up the commentators, too. I like Leigh Diffey and Will Buxton, but David Hobbs and Steve Matchett are another story.

PDX_Doug

NBC Online Coverage?

I have read in several places that part of the NBC deal to broadcast F1, was that all sessions would be streamed live on the NBC Sports web site, as well as the NBC Live Extra app. This in addition to their coverage on the cable channel.

I can't for the life of me find these resources. Is NBC really doing this? If so, does anybody know how to get to it?
And if NBC is not, are there any other websites available in the U.S. to watch F1 live online?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doug

Cocles

Re: NBC Online Coverage?

I've been looking for the same thing. Perhaps they haven't gotten it set up yet. You might always want to try Reddit.com/r/formula1. There have been a lot of NBC related posts there recently.