Poor coverage by NBCSN in US

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Poor coverage by NBCSN in US

A lot of NBCs fanboys were crowing about how NBC was gonna cover every session and be so much better. ROFLMAO
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

It's deja vu all over again: Varsha, Matchett, Hobbs, Buxton (and his unwavering love for Hamilton); lotsa commercials; sketchy picture quality. Brilliant!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The NBC F1 coverage is shite in some aspects, mainly free practice. Yes Speed didn't show all FP sessions but at least they streamed them.

I agree production is better but I don't want to be forced to stream Sky online if I want to watch all FP sessions. Lots of commercials and the picture was --- last night(Quali) as well.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

I really want to sign a petition for Buxton to get a feed from team radios so he won't speak over them.

As for the trio commentators, I do wish they would pay more attention to what is happening on the track rather than just completing their train of thought. Perfect example is that they were speaking about some random item while there was a three-way battle with Perez(?), Grosjean, and Massa in which Massa pulls an amazing pass on the outside. They mention it nearly 8 corners later....

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:A lot of NBCs fanboys...
Kenneth?!?

BTW, I think the picture quality has more to do with the local provider than the network. They all try to squeeze far too many channels into their pipes, and they have to use some pretty nasty compression to do so. I believe they make the decisions locally on which channels/shows get compressed more than others.

Historically, NBCSN is 90% bass fishing and professional tobacco spitting competitions, so I'm betting the station is pretty far down on any cable provider's list of priorities. If it looks really compressed, it might be worth a call to your local provider just to wake them up to the fact that heavy compression of a fast moving sport doesn't work all that well.

I still haven't noticed any more commercials. Then again, I skip over them so its harder to tell. For me, the picture in picture would make up for a lot of ills since I can see if anything worthwhile happens while I'm fast forwarding.

Are you people really up at 2am watching these races live? I admire your, uh, dedication. :?

beardRage
beardRage

The channel looks amazing in my area. Far superior to anything I've ever seen from speed.
The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

bhall
bhall

Pup wrote:[...]

Are you people really up at 2am watching these races live? I admire your, uh, dedication. :?
4 AM.

I stupidly let go of DVR, because F1 is the only thing I ever recorded. That was still probably worth the extra $5, though.

Cocles

DirecTV feed of NBCs looks fine since part way though Australia. You might want to make sure that your setup is showing native resolution as a conversion can be a trade-off sometimes.