Tyre Suggestions

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob

Re: Tyre Suggestions

MOWOG wrote:A lot of people are coming at this discussion from different points of view, but the common denominator is that there is great dissatisfaction with the state of Formula One racing in 2013.

I would suggest that THIS is what we all would prefer to see! [-o<

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcMv2en9HYU[/youtube]
I dunno about you, but I think we're there already...
http://vimeo.com/18831417

turbof1

Crucially, the button vs hamilton battle was on bridgestone potenza's: the softest tyres you drove 3 quarters of a race and then only changed because you have to take both compounds.

IMO, why not go wild and just ban pitstops all together. Make tyres that never wear down, that can constantly be fully used. Then drivers have to make overtaking attempts, and teams have to set their car up for overtaking.
#AeroFrodo

MOWOG

I beg to differ. The Hamilton/Button action was within the same team and was being stage managed from the pits, where the conversation was about saving fuel, just as it was in Malaysia.

I would suggest that Arnoux and Villeneuve were not giving a second's thought to saving a single drop of fuel! :-s
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Cam

MOWOG wrote:
I beg to differ. The Hamilton/Button action was within the same team and was being stage managed from the pits, where the conversation was about saving fuel, just as it was in Malaysia.

I would suggest that Arnoux and Villeneuve were not giving a second's thought to saving a single drop of fuel! :-s
...nor saving engines, nor saving tyres, nor giving one damn inch, no matter the consequences. Great stuff. Shame I'll never get to see that live. Enjoy the memories, those that did!
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

hollus

Don't forget that Arnoux vs Villeneuve happened with a turbo car fighting an atmospheric car. That helps the passing and repassing. If they repeated it, 9 times out of 10 one car would have gone really off by the second corner and the fight would have been over, there is a reason a highlights like that happen once every 20 years. Or am I missing the other 5 times it happened that season?
But I absolutely would prefer to see that every second race!
Rivals, not enemies.

beelsebob

MOWOG wrote:

What makes you think that about either case? Yes both were told to save fuel, doesn't mean they weren't actually battling. Yes Arnoux and Villeneuve were battling, doesn't mean that they weren't concerned about their extremely fragile engines and gearboxes, and yes, even their fuel load. Refuelling doesn't remove concerns about fuel loads – the teams still need to get as little in as they can, and make it go as far as they can, it just makes the calculations more short term.