Tell Red Bull how you feel about their Drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theblackangus
theblackangus

Re: Tell Red Bull how you feel about their Drivers

wesley123 wrote: It is an tactic that is used once in a while and it actually works. Causing controversy raises human interest which attracts a person to the brand they are trying to sell, but of course there is a difference between causing controversy and just doing dumb stuff.

An recent example of good use of controversial marketing(is that a term?);

-Here on Holland there is a weekly(or was it daily?) show called Voetbal International(A program discussion soccer/football). This show has been going on for years with the same hosts. But a while ago 2 of the hosts got in an fight, calling eahc other names etc. etc. One of them walked out of the show. This was of course talked about a lot in the media after that, it was a huge hype for a few days that caused the show to regain a bit of attention.

Barely anyone gives a damn about actual quality but rather buys products on marketing, and in that a famous person is of importance, I mean, why would your hero lie to you right? Vettel is of unknown value to the red Bull brand, much as Travis Pastrana etc. etc.

An incident like this raiseses knowledge of the Red Bull brand, 90% doesnt even remotely have an idea what actually happened and will all think this guy they see on their Red Bull cans defeated his team mate and is therefore substantially better. Yes, for the people that actually follow F1 that sucks, but the rest of the world do not, and in the end it all goes to how much they sell, not how many people like the product.

Humans love controversy, and it is a highly succesful way to promote things, whether it is something in the news or a brand.
Yes appeal and justify to the lowest common denominator.
This apparently is a theme here....
Another thing wrong with society.

CHT
CHT

theblackangus wrote:
CHT wrote:To Dietrich Mateschitz, formula 1 is a marketing campaign for their energy drinks. Controversy like this can only be good for branding. When you see 2 RBR drivers wearing their overall appearing on the cover of the sport section, that is free marketing.
I'm not sure how its free?
Don't they pay alot to be in F1?
Controversy != Free branding. Nor good branding IMHO.

If they are looking for free advertising shouldn't they be sending Lance Armstrong gear to wear? Seems like they should by this reasoning. Or just send all the people in prison all over the world free gear? Costs much less than F1 and would seeming have a far greater reach.

To me this link of thinking comes from some sort of poor self rationalization.
Redbull doesnt pay newspaper, media, social forums etc to write or talk about RBR Vettel and Webber. All these news articles and discussions on the traditional and digital media are consider extra brand exposures for Redbull and this is what create the value of the brand.

Subtle brand exposure to consumers is actually more powerful than blasting advertisement on your face because it create curiosity for non fans to read about it.

As the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity if you know how to handle it.

CHT
CHT

mnmracer wrote:
CHT wrote:
timbo wrote:FWIW it appears that Dietrich Mateschitz is not pleased with what Vettel did.

was that from webber's father?
Mateschitz is to Webber what Marko is to Vettel.
Only Dietrich is higher in command (duh).
Redbull as an organization has got this corporate principle of being loyal to their stake holders and even suppliers, so I am not surprise to hear that Meteschitz is being loyal to Webber when it comes to renewing contract. However I do not think Mateschitz is that close to Webber as compare to Marko to Vettel. Also loyalty is not the same favoritism

Do you think the relationship between Dietrich and Marko or Webber is stronger?

mnmracer
mnmracer

CHT wrote:
mnmracer wrote: Mateschitz is to Webber what Marko is to Vettel.
Only Dietrich is higher in command (duh).
Redbull as an organization has got this corporate principle of being loyal to their stake holders and even suppliers, so I am not surprise to hear that Meteschitz is being loyal to Webber when it comes to renewing contract. However I do not think Mateschitz is that close to Webber as compare to Marko to Vettel. Also loyalty is not the same favoritism

Do you think the relationship between Dietrich and Marko or Webber is stronger?
Hard to say, considering Dietrich and Marko go decades back and for all the silly things he says at times, Marko is very good at his job.

bdr529

CHT wrote:
theblackangus wrote:
CHT wrote:To Dietrich Mateschitz, formula 1 is a marketing campaign for their energy drinks. Controversy like this can only be good for branding. When you see 2 RBR drivers wearing their overall appearing on the cover of the sport section, that is free marketing.
I'm not sure how its free?
Don't they pay alot to be in F1?
Controversy != Free branding. Nor good branding IMHO.

If they are looking for free advertising shouldn't they be sending Lance Armstrong gear to wear? Seems like they should by this reasoning. Or just send all the people in prison all over the world free gear? Costs much less than F1 and would seeming have a far greater reach.

To me this link of thinking comes from some sort of poor self rationalization.
Redbull doesnt pay newspaper, media, social forums etc to write or talk about RBR Vettel and Webber. All these news articles and discussions on the traditional and digital media are consider extra brand exposures for Redbull and this is what create the value of the brand.

Subtle brand exposure to consumers is actually more powerful than blasting advertisement on your face because it create curiosity for non fans to read about it.

As the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity if you know how to handle it.
Media relations 101 "Any press is good press", Marketing 101 " nothing beats free advertising" that's the first thing they taught us in college. You just have to look at people like Paris Hilton and the kardashian girl to see that principal in action.
And yet to my surprise Red Bull found the only clinch in those statements, they already had "good press" and "free advertising" coming their way with a 1-2 finish. The papers and web sites Monday should have been covered with photos and articles about the victory, but they weren't.

CHT
CHT

RBR 1-2 victory is no big news to the press or F1 community these days. A controversy like this will keep all the F1 website and media guessing and speculating for the entire season.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

CHT wrote:RBR 1-2 victory is no big news to the press or F1 community these days. A controversy like this will keep all the F1 website and media guessing and speculating for the entire season.
From what I heard, after the Malaysian GP, one of the biggest "trending" terms on twitter was "Multi-21". Pure curiosity will have people googling it and finding Webber/Vettel and Red Bull at the top of the page.

From an original fan perspective, this is a precarious situation. For curious bystanders, it may be the gateway to F1. For the team, this sucks a lot. For the promoters and marketers, this is a gold mine in disguise ("Get your 'Vettel #1' shirts!, 'Multi-21, Seb'!, etc.)

WhiteBlue

mnmracer wrote:... for all the silly things he says at times, Marko is very good at his job.
I disagree. I think he is primarily in charge of the young driver program and IMO he isn't doing anything great there.Red Bull technology is 90% responsible for the team success and that is run entirely by Newey unless I'm badly informed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mnmracer
mnmracer

WhiteBlue wrote:
mnmracer wrote:... for all the silly things he says at times, Marko is very good at his job.
I disagree. I think he is primarily in charge of the young driver program and IMO he isn't doing anything great there.Red Bull technology is 90% responsible for the team success and that is run entirely by Newey unless I'm badly informed.
Manager of Gerhard Berger and Karl Wendlinger.
His team had succes in F3 and F300 (won '97 F3000 championship for one).
Helped Montoya and Vettel into F1, and is now looking very promising with da Costa.

Don't think other teams' driver development programs have been much more successful.

Rob W

bdr529 wrote:As the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity if you know how to handle it...

....Media relations 101 "Any press is good press", Marketing 101 " nothing beats free advertising" that's the first thing they taught us in college.
I don't know what college you attended but the saying 'there is no such thing as bad publicity' has well and truly been debunked many millions of times over at all levels of business and reputation management - both at a personal and institutional level.

This particular scenario imo has been poor PR for Redbull. Two friends who barely give a moment's thought to the goings-on in F1 mentioned to me they'd heard on the news about some nasty thing Vettel did... The overall impression was far more under the umbrella of cheating, underhandedness and unsporting conduct than it was one of a talented driver showing his hyper-competitive colours.

This happening was bad for Redbull in particular and there is no doubt whatsoever that their larger sponsors have spoken to them about what they expect from the team in terms of appearing to be the good guys who operate (at least publicly) ethically and in the spirit of good sportsmanship at all times.