Best Rookie in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Straggler

Re: Best Rookie in F1

Robbobnob wrote:Bellof had a naturally aspirated engine in the wet, long story short the turbos were famous for being peaky with their torque curve as soon as the pressure spiked, making them very prone to wheelspin and oversteer on corner exit. A naturally aspirated engine had a much smoother torque delivery and in the completely saturated conditions it was able to control the amount of wheelspin and traction off the corner much better, where the turbos werent able to use their full boost maps in order to save the car from spinning out.

Bellof was the only NA car which qualified for the race and therefore had a massive advantage over the rest of the field, and while he crossed the line in 3rd place he was actually disqualified in retrosepctive due to their use of the Lead ballast water cooling system in which Tyrell would replace the water cooling for the engine with a mix of lead shot and water to meet the minimum weight at the end of the race.

The long and the short of it, Bellof drove to 3rd across the line with a car which was more driveable and lighter than the opposition.
The long and the short of it, the rookie Bellof was faster than Prost, just because he was driving a faster car in the particular GP ... Its impossible to be undoubtedly sure that the Tyrell was faster than the McLaren in these conditions. Its not all about the engine, you know. If that was true then every wet race should have been easily won by a NA car ... which isn't true at all. I don't know if there is even one winner or podium sitter in NA car in wet race. So there goes your logic in the trash.

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:Actually I wont rate LH as the best rookie ever because I think LH is perhaps the most well equipped and prepared F1 rookie we ever had. However I must say that LH is perhaps the most exciting driver since JPM.
So why is that exclusive?

To put it into perspective, Usain Bolt is the best sprinter ever and He could not have been if he wasn't well equiped and prepared so I am not sure what you mean by that.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

krisfx

n smikle wrote:
CHT wrote:Actually I wont rate LH as the best rookie ever because I think LH is perhaps the most well equipped and prepared F1 rookie we ever had. However I must say that LH is perhaps the most exciting driver since JPM.

To put it into perspective, Usain Bolt is the best sprinter ever and He could not have been if he wasn't well equiped and prepared so I am not sure what you mean by that.

Agreed, not a fan of particular driver but if you watch Hamilton's career you'll see he has quality. I think the fact he raced for McLaren in his rookie season was an added pressure to perform against arguably the most complete driver in the sport and he almost beat him. Something like that isn't gifted to you.

PlatinumZealot

Technically, Hamilton is also the youngest world Champion.. he did it in 35 races (2 seasons).
But on the rookie front I mean, facing Fernando Alonso, one of the most ruthless of all in the same equipment is a daunting task for even the best of the best.

CHT
CHT

n smikle wrote:

It is the same reason why rich kids tend to perform better in schools because they have gone through proper early childhood development which are often out of reach to other less fortunate kids. e,g how many season of junior racings, training, practice, coaching etc has Lewis gone through with Mclaren funding before he jump into Mclaren F1 car in 2007.

CHT
CHT

n smikle wrote:Technically, Hamilton is also the youngest world Champion.. he did it in 35 races (2 seasons).
But on the rookie front I mean, facing Fernando Alonso, one of the most ruthless of all in the same equipment is a daunting task for even the best of the best.
2007 was also Alonso's first season with Mclaren, while LH has been with Mclaren since he was a kid. I wont be surprise that LH will be more familiar with Mclaren and their cars then Alonso in their first season.

Sebp

CHT wrote:
n smikle wrote:Technically, Hamilton is also the youngest world Champion.. he did it in 35 races (2 seasons).
2007 was also Alonso's first season with Mclaren, while LH has been with Mclaren since he was a kid. I wont be surprise that LH will be more familiar with Mclaren and their cars then Alonso in their first season.
Uh oh! This thread has been hijacked by fanboy ying-yang already. It's only two pages old. :shock:
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

ChrisF1

Jaques Villeneuve, 33 races.

Sebp

ChrisF1 wrote:
Emerson Fittipaldi, 30 races.

How long will this continue? :D
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Websta

Giuseppe Farina won his WDC following only his 7th Formula 1 race :lol:

Mandrake

Sadly, things have changed massively compared to the past. My memory does not even reach back to the start of MSC's carreer, however, he and others before him were able to perform in a slow, underdog car.

Today the gap between a Caterham and a RedBull is so vast, that no Raikkonen, no Hamilton and no Alonso could bring it to the points (if not for various DNFs of other drivers). Hamilton was the only case in recent history, where a rookie was put into top material. Probably Vettel too when he raced in indianapolis 2007, or whenever that was.

That's why it's impossible to compare rookies from several years against each other. If we compare it by era, LH is definetly one to be mentioned for this era, so are Frentzen and MSC for the early 90s and many others I do not even know from seasons before 1990. It was certainly more impressive in the past than today.

PlatinumZealot

Sebp wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:
Emerson Fittipaldi, 30 races.

How long will this continue? :D
Websta wrote:Giuseppe Farina won his WDC following only his 7th Formula 1 race :lol:
Bravo! Good information...

seventhsin

Jules Bianchi's doing a pretty good job.

beelsebob

seventhsin wrote:Jules Bianchi's doing a pretty good job.
He is, but he's only got Max Chilton to compare against, and it's pretty hard to tell if Bianchi is exceptional, or Chilton a disaster. I'd expect it's a little from column A, a little from column B.

marcush.

you are kidding ..
anyone remember Jean Alesis Grand Prix debut?

He had not even touched a formula 1 car before that memorable race in France when Ken Tyrrell needed a new driver due to Alboreto -their Lead Driver was a Marlboro man and Tyrrell had found new sponsorship with Camel....Tyrrell wanted Donnelly as driver but Eddie Jordan ,then F3000 Team boss could only say Donnelly was already recruited by Lotus for that race! So Ken took Alesi ....
Even if Alesi did not live up to the expectations resultwise in his later career he must be considered one of the best rookies in F1 ever.. No simulators ,no testing no nothing and the guy bagged a fourth place with a Tyrrell in his debut on MERIT and was p2 for some time as well...mighty impressive .He went on to win that years F3000 Championship plus bagged another two points finishes with Tyrrell as well.(another 4th and a fifth).

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00177.html