Best Rookie in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sebp

Re: Best Rookie in F1

Clay Regazzoni's 1970 campaign deserves an honourable mention as well. Missing 5 of the 13 Grand Prix, he still managed to claim 3rd in the overall standings.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Shrieker

Wow, nice stuff guys. Many of them I had no idea about, especially pre '90s. Keep'em coming !
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mika1

Lewis Hamilton:
Most consecutive podium finishes from debut: 9 podium finishes: 2007 Australian GP – 2007 British GP
Youngest driver to lead the World Championship: 22 years, 4 months, 6 days at the 2007 Spanish GP
Most wins in a debut season: 4 wins (record shared with Jacques Villeneuve in 1996)
Most pole positions in a debut season: 6 pole positions
Most points in a debut season: 109
The boss follows me on twitter.

beelsebob

Mika1 wrote:Lewis Hamilton:
Most consecutive podium finishes from debut: 9 podium finishes: 2007 Australian GP – 2007 British GP
Youngest driver to lead the World Championship: 22 years, 4 months, 6 days at the 2007 Spanish GP
Most wins in a debut season: 4 wins (record shared with Jacques Villeneuve in 1996)
Most pole positions in a debut season: 6 pole positions
Most points in a debut season: 109
Are the win, pole and points stats scaled according to number of races, and points available.
Jaques I would argue for example is beating Lewis for wins – because he scored a 25% win rate, while lewis scored a 23.5% rate.

Of course, you could hardly call Jaques a rookie when he started in F1.

Sebp

Giancarlo Baghetti won his first F1 race in his first attempt in 1961.

Spore F1

lets get realistic here, Lewis Hamilton is the best rookie this sport has ever seen.

Best equipment in the whole field?

He had to battle Raikkonen and who i consider to be the best driver in the planet, Fernando Alonso.

If it wasnt for some grave mistakes he very well could have won, and he followed this up with yet another great season.

He delivered when given the chance, and he delivered greatly, doing VERY well against his double world champion team mate.

So young, so much pressure, and the competition...he was given the tools and he could have easily been world champion, and he has shown time and time again he is probably among the top 2 drivers in f1 and i dare say the world with Alonso.

Lewis Hamilton best rookie year of all time.

( Reply to comments i read quickly about Farini and Steward for example)

Lets not joke around here, that in no way compares to what hamilton did, and lets also bring to the table that most of us were able to watch him do it as well, and to manage to keep his reputation alive, no Jacques Villeneuve.

Fully respect what others have done, but hamilton's year was amazing. ( An lets not try to say that he had the equipment to do so in a way to use that as an illogical excuse, anyone who had a great year had the back up of a vehicle that was able to support them).

The logical thing to say is that he was a championship winning driver and so was his car, and he delivered ( for the most part :D).

Sebp

Opinionated fanboy drivel... :roll:

netoperek

wesley123 wrote:Jacques Villeneuve or Lewis Hamilton.
Same JV that lost his seat after Kubica's debut? 8)
Speaking of Kubica - its hard to judge his performance in 2006 because of the terrible job his mechanics did back then... Still podium at Monza on his third GP, despite what BMW were doing, was impressive.

JamtriX

Best rookie season and lucky-(because of a competitive Mclaren+Ron Dennis) would be non other than Lewis Hamilton. :lol:

but the best would be Jacques Villeneuve. =D>

Spore F1

Sebp wrote:-1

U talking to me? Elaborate and maybe we can discuss. :D

if u r going to use this championship winning car excuse, then thats simply a logical fallacy to try to use that as an excuse.

Other drivers have impressed by being in less performing cars and getting more and more out of them, there have been different types of success stories, but hamilton was so talented that they immediately put him in a championship winning team and car, beside the reigning world champion, and he delivered. His all first 9 races in formula one were podiums ffs.

Its alright if you think someone else had a better rookie year if your "logical" standards allow for a different set of guidelines and rules to come to such a conclusion, but to diminish the fact that hamilton delivered in his first year EVER at just 21 years old and manage to do better than alonso and almost win the championship?????

He proved he was a championship winning driver. Surely no one else in history has proved to SOOO many people, in his rookie season, that he had what it took, and he repeated in 2008, and has proven his world class talents ever since.

Jacques Villeneuve had a good year but he also had a championship winning car you see, thats why his team mate won, hamiton builded on that success and with arguably more difficult circumstances.

There is no way i can consider Jacques rookie year as better, specially considering his car retired so many times in 1996.
Last edited by Spore F1 on 06 May 2013, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

I'd say either Schumacher or Alonso. I can perfectly understand why people take Hamilton, but those 2 made magic with non-winning cars.
#AeroFrodo

FrukostScones

SCHUMACHER and HAMILTON !
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sebp

Spore F1 wrote:

Yes I was talking to you.

But I'm not going to discuss LHs impressive first F1 season. For one because it bores me and further because unnecessary bickering like that ends up here where it belongs:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ang+thread

Spore F1

Sebp wrote:
Spore F1 wrote:

Yes I was talking to you.

But I'm not going to discuss LHs impressive first F1 season. For one because it bores me and further because unnecessary bickering like that ends up here where it belongs:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ang+thread
Im sure ignorance is bliss for you, carry on.

turbof1

Well, this subject was inevitably going to get believers.

Sepb, he has Raikkonen written all over him. Difficult to claim he is a Hamilton-fanboy :p.

Anyway, it's difficult to compare. For every rookie in f1 that was succesful, there is an unique story behind it. Ultimately, the best rookie ever in f1 is a very subjective matter. Each to his own opinion, so lets respect that shall we?
#AeroFrodo