2013 WDC and WCC in graphs

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

2013 WDC and WCC in graphs

(right click view for larger sizes)

Driver´s championship

Constructor´s champioship

Qualifying battle

Wins

Pole positions

Fastest laps
Last edited by SectorOne on 10 Jun 2013, 14:27, edited 4 times in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SilverArrow10

Re: 2013 WDC and WCC in graphs

These graphs are amazing well done and thank you to whoever created them. Hope to see more throughout the rest of the season =D>
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

beelsebob

SilverArrow10 wrote:These graphs are amazing well done and thank you to whoever created them. Hope to see more throughout the rest of the season =D>
Looks good, my only issue is with your curve smoothing – perhaps chose something that's a little less agressive, and doesn't end up showing drivers losing points at certain points.

Strictly speaking off, the correct action is actually to use a bar chart – after all, your sample axis is not continuous.

Cam

beelsebob wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:These graphs are amazing well done and thank you to whoever created them. Hope to see more throughout the rest of the season =D>
Looks good, my only issue is with your curve smoothing – perhaps chose something that's a little less agressive, and doesn't end up showing drivers losing points at certain points.

Strictly speaking off, the correct action is actually to use a bar chart – after all, your sample axis is not continuous.
+1 - there is no curve between points. Small but integral point beelsebob makes - and it's correct.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

SectorOne

I can remove the smoothing no problem, just thought it looks a bit nicer.

Updated,

I don´t like bar charts for this type of thing as you can´t really see what has happened in previous races, you only have the last result to look at.
With a line graph you can see who´s gained on who in last race and you can see the form the driver has had during the season.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

abw

Nice charts. I don't mind the lines, though they do imply nonexistent data between the discrete points. They help draw the eye. Good graphs that communicate clearly can be difficult to make with many spreadsheet packages. Recommend The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Tufte for all engineers and scientists.

Slife

I think strictly speaking the horizontal axis would be continuous if we assume the OP is measuring time in terms of GPs. The only thing would be that the graphs would have to look like step functions

SectorOne

It´s pretty straight forward in my opinion, no need to complicate it more then needed.

And it´s no different to what F1Fanatic is doing.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/statistics/2 ... ip-points/

Only they have a much nicer program to use with check boxes etc.

beelsebob

Slife wrote:I think strictly speaking the horizontal axis would be continuous if we assume the OP is measuring time in terms of GPs. The only thing would be that the graphs would have to look like step functions
Right, plus, he'd need to unevenly space the GPs across the axis, as there's not constant time between them.

SilverArrow10

SectorOne wrote:I can remove the smoothing no problem, just thought it looks a bit nicer.

Updated,

I don´t like bar charts for this type of thing as you can´t really see what has happened in previous races, you only have the last result to look at.
With a line graph you can see who´s gained on who in last race and you can see the form the driver has had during the season.
Yes I prefer the line graph because of this. For example look at Rosbergs massive rise in the Monaco grand prix. Its clear and easy to see.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

hollus

If we are going to be all strict, there would be no graph at all, only a table!
Out of curiosity, and since you already have that table, SectorOne, what would this look like as "% of possible points"?
Rivals, not enemies.

SectorOne

Not sure how to do that Hollus.

Added a couple more graphs.

beelsebob

That's a lovely graph. I think I'll start using a variant on that in the intra team battle thread.

SectorOne

thanks,

Would have been even nice if html was supported, then i could make all these graphs interactive.

beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:thanks,

Would have been even nice if html was supported, then i could make all these graphs interactive.
But then, you could also crash someone's browser tab with some extra slow running JS, so I think it's probably worth the trade off ;)