2014: in season tests almost a certainty

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
scotty86

2014: in season tests almost a certainty

Just in case anyone missed this news:
Following a lengthy meeting of think-tank the Sporting Working Committee in the Montreal paddock on Saturday night, a majority of teams voted in favour of a testing rethink for next year.

The plans, which now just need final approval from the FIA's World Motor Sport Council which meets at the end of this month, will open the way for four two-day test sessions that will take place after selected grands prix.

AUTOSPORT understands that the tests will take place on the Tuesday and Wednesday after the nominated races.

The exact location of the tests has not yet been agreed and will depend on the exact make-up of the 2014 calendar, which has not yet been finalised.

Teams are eager to test at Barcelona and Silverstone, but will only be able to do so if they are not scheduled as back-to-back races with other events.

Other venues that could be used for the test are Budapest and Spa.

Teams have already agreed that there will be three pre-season tests next year, with the first taking place in mid-January at Jerez in Spain.

There is also a big push to have the two subsequent tests in the Middle East, but this still depends on the season opener being in Bahrain.
Personally, i am so pleased about this news, since the testing ban my preference (should it return) was for a system not too far from this. I just hope that young drivers will get a decent bit of track time.

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Re: 2014: in season tests almost a certainty

Great news!

McMrocks
McMrocks

Dyanxx wrote:Great news!
at least for 5 of the 11 teams. But the rest will suffer. Most teams have already now problems with there liquidity.
To cut the costs was no bad idea and if the testing is banned again in 15' it wont be a bad thing. I thought they complained already about the amount of money they had to put in the engine developement.

Richard
Richard

BBC are reporting this as agreed. Apparently minor teams see it as an opportunity for pay test drivers to boost income while major teams will use it for genuine development.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22835503

zeph
zeph

So how does thisalign with the cost-cutting measures?

timbo
timbo

Actually if they arrange the tests by staying for a few days after the GP, without the need of creation of a separate test department, the costs would not be that crazy.
Previously teams had a separate crews with independent logistics etc.
I guess some costs might even be shaved by abondoning some not very efficient and time consuming simulation practices, when they would be able to run updates on track.

Cam

zeph wrote:So how does thisalign with the cost-cutting measures?
From a positive aspect - I suppose cost savings would come through having proper data. Look at McLaren. Running around in circles and going nowhere, throwing money at a problem they obviously cannot locate, nor solve. All that money, wasted. Having tests gives data. Good data. That allows a focussed more accurate direction, minimizing cost wastage chasing development deadends.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.