Tearoffs should not be allowed...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
peanutaxis

Re: Tearoffs should not be allowed...

I've always thought throwing tearoffs out of the cockpit was bad form, like spitting on the sports field. All they need is a sticky strip to tack them to on the side of the cockpit.

thisisatest

the tear-offs could wrap all the way to the back of the helmet, just a thin piece of film like a leash. you tear one off and it flips to the side/back, out of the way but doesnt litter anything.

strad

thisisatest wrote:the tear-offs could wrap all the way to the back of the helmet, just a thin piece of film like a leash. you tear one off and it flips to the side/back, out of the way but doesnt litter anything.
hahahaha And ya have these flapping in the breeze behind them???
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

thisisatest

Obviously my idea would need some refinement. Like something for them to stick to back there.

Harvey

peanutaxis wrote:I've always thought throwing tearoffs out of the cockpit was bad form, like spitting on the sports field. All they need is a sticky strip to tack them to on the side of the cockpit.
I feel it's more akin to cyclists dropping spent isotonic gel packages. At least spit is natural. And on a lot of the grand tour stages there are areas where the cyclists/teams are punished for dropping litter, combined with areas where they are encouraged to do so, to try and alleviate the pressures on the organisers of clearing up after them all.

Maybe they could enforce a "ripoff in the pitlane only" rule?

Paul

I can imagine this radio transmission:

"Vettel has just ripped the tearoff!!!"
"Yes, Fernando, we saw it, we are talking to the FIA!"

SiLo

With all the innovation in F1, why not come up with something that doesn't need wiping or tearing off?

EDIT**

Just think of a window wiper-less car...
Felipe Baby!

strad

they have experimented with a roll sort of like on the in car TV cameras, but they were bulky and prone to failure.
I bet there are still some out there.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pierce89

strad wrote:they have experimented with a roll sort of like on the in car TV cameras, but they were bulky and prone to failure.
I bet there are still some out there.
Motocrossers sometimes use that system. It's called roll offs instead of tear offs.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

krisfx

As irritating as they are for engineers and getting in the radiators of trailing cars. They are incredibly useful for the driver especially at somewhere like abu dhabi where they tend to have tinted ones to avoid changing visor when it gets dark afaik. Something like a rolloff is good in motorcross but I doubt they would use them in F1 with their impact on the drivers' helmet aero etc.

I've used them myself (mainly to protect my visor) but when you're in a wet race and someone bins it in front of you onto dirt, they are great!

Richard

They'd need another button on the steering wheel....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaYgw-0YQ-M[/youtube]

strad

new and improved
Sir Stirling Moss

beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:They'd need another button on the steering wheel....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaYgw-0YQ-M
No need for an extra button – the TV cameras do this already. The problem is that even with a system like this, they can still get grimy.

rjsa

While we are at it we should take down all the trees surrounding race tracks: their leaves can be bigger and heavier than tearoffs ant the trees just can't help their nasty littering habit.

SiLo

rjsa wrote:While we are at it we should take down all the trees surrounding race tracks: their leaves can be bigger and heavier than tearoffs ant the trees just can't help their nasty littering habit.
And all that sand from those desert fly away races while we are at it.
Felipe Baby!