Young Drivers Test 2013 - Silverstone

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lotus7

Re: Young Drivers Test 2013 - Silverstone

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
Blanchimont wrote: The three squares are likely to be overall temp, inner and outer shoulder temps.
Tyre temps are usually done - outer shoulder, middle, inner shoulder
Top row are fronts , L & R
Bottom row are rears

stefan_

Davide Valsecchi Goes the Extra Mile at Silverstone

You had a minor radio issue during the day and the team struggled to call you in?
DV: Today we completed all the jobs on the plan and I think I got some extra laps too. I did miss the pit board for a few laps when the team was trying to call me in. I stayed out until I thought they were going to throw the pit board at me, then I thought it was better that I came in!
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

shelly

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:Yeah, i noticed that, too.

But what exactly does the table tell us? Is it about sector times (S1, S2 and S3 in the first row) for different vehicle configurations? A car weight of 27.6 would make no sense, for example.
The image tells us two things for sure: pressures are up, while the operating temperatures are down.
The three squares are likely to be overall temp, inner and outer shoulder temps.

The Aero Efficiency Threshold numbers are apparently a cumulative index and since there are some minuses on top of each column, I would assume that this is wind tunnel / CFD data correlation with the respective deltas.
If you divide the 0,239 on top of the drag column by the 0.068 on top of the nlift column you get exactly 3.52, the aero efficiency threshold. This is a measure of the crossed sensitivity of laptime with respect to downforce and drag, and tells you probably the every setup with efficiency lower than 3.52 will make you lose time in a lap even if you have more downforce.

The numbers in column are probably percentages/weights of the sensitivity of laptime to every factor(engine, grip, lift drag) for each of the 3 sectors. Notice that the sum of each of the 4 columns of weights is around 100
Last edited by shelly on 18 Jul 2013, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
twitter: @armchair_aero

shelly

edit: double post
twitter: @armchair_aero

andartop

1 photo = 1000 words

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

foxmulder_ms

stefan_ wrote:
Davide Valsecchi Goes the Extra Mile at Silverstone

You had a minor radio issue during the day and the team struggled to call you in?
DV: Today we completed all the jobs on the plan and I think I got some extra laps too. I did miss the pit board for a few laps when the team was trying to call me in. I stayed out until I thought they were going to throw the pit board at me, then I thought it was better that I came in!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPdaI8OCAAEC4eh.jpg:large
This is hilarious. I like the guy already.. :D

Hail22

Young Driver Test Silverstone July 17 - 19 Thread

Here are some highlights videos below (apologies in advance due to some of the videos having poor quality / camera shots):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMnZ0n_PIQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekiYFAnGnqg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjuwmIsLPx8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0Z0eCwMCI[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

lio007

here is a short overview how many laps the teams did

Code: Select all

Team                 Car     Laps    km
Sauber               C32     208     1225,328
Marussia F1 Team     MR02    218     1284,238
Scuderia Toro Rosso  STR8    226     1331,366
Lotus F1 Team        E21     246     1449,186
Williams             FW35    248     1460,968
Ferrari              F138    262     1543,442
Red Bull Racing      RB9     274     1614,134
McLaren              MP4-28  275     1620,025
Force India          VJM06   277     1631,807
Caterham F1 Team     CT-03   292     1720,172

alnando

And Mercedes did 1000km in the secret test. FIA should have let mercdes run in the YDT for a day.

Dyanxx

alnando wrote:And Mercedes did 1000km in the secret test. FIA should have let mercdes run in the YDT for a day.
And if anything, Mercedes doing what they did enabled everyone else to then change the testing regulations in the future, which is something all the teams wanted, so yeah they should've been given at least 1 day.

SilverArrow

Dyanxx wrote:
alnando wrote:And Mercedes did 1000km in the secret test. FIA should have let mercdes run in the YDT for a day.
And if anything, Mercedes doing what they did enabled everyone else to then change the testing regulations in the future, which is something all the teams wanted, so yeah they should've been given at least 1 day.
Yeah, completely agree, except that they CHEATED and are extremely lucky that this test is all they'll be missing.

MuseF1

SilverArrow wrote:
Dyanxx wrote:
Yeah, completely agree, except that they CHEATED and are extremely lucky that this test is all they'll be missing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22999260

There are some keywords that came out of the FIA tribunal

"disclosed to the FIA at least the essence of what they intended to do in relation to the test and attempted to obtain permission for it; and Mercedes had no reason to believe that approval had not been given"

"There was no intention by either Pirelli or Mercedes to gain "any unfair sporting advantage"

"Neither Pirelli nor Mercedes acted in bad faith "

So the word 'cheating' in big capital letters is a bit extreme.

iotar__

Not this again. http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/878 ... ermission-
They were never given permission. Problem with words like "intention" or "belief" is that they are impossible to prove. You can use them to lower the sentence if you really, really want like FIA did. Of course my theory still stands: there was more in telephone conversations with Whiting. Mercedes were not tried before the tribunal and given ban for "intentions and beliefs" but for actual illegal test, occurrence in physical world.

Going back to topic: were the same standards present at Mercedes test as in young drivers test or were they allowed to do more? Or maybe we don't know or there were but without "intentions"? I mean strict setup rules etc. Did everyone get all the data from it? Considering how rules of the YDT changed several times there had to be the usual behind the scenes F1 wrestling: from four days, to two plus one with setup work, to two plus one without the setup work. No rhyme or reason as if 30 year old young drivers farce wasn't enough.

marcush.

it´s not the first time MGP or whatever it is called these days has deliberately tried to exploit the rules welll knowing their stance was controversial (Monaco 2010 ,overtaking at the end of a safety car period) Crucially back then they also got their knuckles ripped ,Schumacher lost everything he gained in a shrewd move later on as the stewarts did not follow Brawns logic.

I´m rather surprised a team would create facts in sensitive areas without being absolutely sure -written permission- all is ok with their plans and logically communicate these plans .
Obviously the uproar would have been very similar if they had communicated their plan to go testing with pirelli .so who said it was in good faith -it was clearly meant to create facts and live with the consequences -you´d call that taking risks and not acting in good faith ,no?
As we do not know what tyres Mercedes tested in Spain it is not clear what exactly they gained in that test for this or next year ,and it is not clear what they lost because they have not tested those silverstone tyres.

WhiteBlue

http://www.f1technical.net/news/18638

This is a good summary of the results of the YDT. I wish we would not go off topic to discuss the Mercedes/Pirelli hearing before the international tribunal here. IMO the federation has acted properly to limit the run plan with race drivers to tyre issues only which has in turn limited the usefulness of the test for race drivers. The fact that Alonso did not bother to show up is rather highlighting this situation.

This re definition of the YDT was properly done in my view to address the current tyre issues. The new tyre spec from last years construction with the most significant 2013 compounds was properly tested on the most demanding circuit so that further safety concerns were put to bed.

The ten teams were given an opportunity to test this new tyre in order to re adjust the sporting equity that was somewhat upset by the Mercedes/Pirelli test. So this issue is now finally put to bed.

The teams had ample opportunity to test the young drivers and use their services to test new parts. Mercedes had no complains of unfair treatment. They only had some concerns over safety with the use of unknown tyres in Hungary that appear unjustified in the light of the data sharing that Pirelli will do after the test. Mercedes know the construction and know the compounds. They should be well capable of simulating the "new" tyres and using the free practise to generate a good and safe setup for Hungary. Further discussion seems like it is missing the point IMHO.

It was good to see so many new drivers make their firt steps into F1 and it was nice to see Suzie Wolff running. It will probably work as an incentive for young women to work harder for a racing driver career.

For the 2013 championships it provided an indication that Red Bull and Vettel are again the package to beat, although that was expected when Alonso decided not to test.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)