Young Drivers Test 2013 - Silverstone

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
krisfx

Re: Young Drivers Test 2013 - Silverstone

WhiteBlue wrote: The fact that Alonso did not bother to show up is rather highlighting this situation.

Is this confirmed? Edit: I mean in the fact that it was Alonso who didn't bother, not the team deciding against using him.

My personal thought would be that Ferrari are maximising their young driver time to test new parts on the car in order to catch up. Considering the limits placed on race drivers, it didn't really make much sense to run Alonso for them as it would only provide tyre data, which could be gained in FP.

WhiteBlue

James Allan wrote:The new generation Pirelli tyres, with 2012 constructions married to 2013 compounds are not only safer (no failures in hotter conditions at Silverstone than for the GP) but also more consistent with less degradation. The rest of the season should therefore see the teams doing fewer pitstops than in the early part of the season (Barcelona would be a 2/3 stop race, for example, rather than the four stopper it was) and the drivers will be able to push harder for longer.

There do not appear to have been any surprises on the tyres and therefore there doesn’t appear to be any reason to suspect a major change in the pecking order. The teams that look after their tyres better will continue to do so.

But it is going to be hard for any team or driver to catch Vettel and Red Bull for the remainder of the season, as these tyres certainly will not constrict them and they will be able to get the most from the car at every round from now on. It comes down to whether any other team wants to allocate the money and valuable wind tunnel time away from their 2014 development work to have a crack at them this season. Red Bull have a healthy margin and can thus manage the situation from here.
Allan came to a nice conclusion from the YDT which I agree with. Unless Ferrari/Alonso can pull something out of the bag very quickly Red Bull are well on track to take a fourth consecutive championship.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Holm86

krisfx wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: The fact that Alonso did not bother to show up is rather highlighting this situation.

Is this confirmed? Edit: I mean in the fact that it was Alonso who didn't bother, not the team deciding against using him.

My personal thought would be that Ferrari are maximising their young driver time to test new parts on the car in order to catch up. Considering the limits placed on race drivers, it didn't really make much sense to run Alonso for them as it would only provide tyre data, which could be gained in FP.
He has said so himself. So I would say its confirmed.

Look a few pages back. I had the discussion but stepped out of it as some Alonso fans clearly couldn't have a objective approach to the subject.

WhiteBlue

I would assume that Alonso would have got the time that was provided for Massa if he had asked for it. Ferrari these days rejects very little requests from Alonso. So the assumption has some probability that he wasn't very interested. But we cannot ultimately know. Perhaps the Spanish world champion has fallen from grace in Maranello? I'd give that 0.1 % probability if someone wants to make the claim.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

radosav

krisfx wrote:

at the time of test in Silverstone Alonso was doing simulator in Maranello, up to six hours per day as he said, so they (Ferrari) probably gave special program for every driver at that time.

SilverArrow

WhiteBlue wrote:I would assume that Alonso would have got the time that was provided for Massa if he had asked for it. Ferrari these days rejects very little requests from Alonso. So the assumption has some probability that he wasn't very interested. But we cannot ultimately know. Perhaps the Spanish world champion has fallen from grace in Maranello? I'd give that 0.1 % probability if someone wants to make the claim.
Someone might have mentioned it but he didn't attend the preseason tests either, so you're bang on about him having gotten the time had he wanted it.

DC certainly thinks there's a probability of him leaving though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23227072

SilverArrow

MuseF1 wrote:
SilverArrow wrote: Yeah, completely agree, except that they CHEATED and are extremely lucky that this test is all they'll be missing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22999260

There are some keywords that came out of the FIA tribunal

"disclosed to the FIA at least the essence of what they intended to do in relation to the test and attempted to obtain permission for it; and Mercedes had no reason to believe that approval had not been given"

"There was no intention by either Pirelli or Mercedes to gain "any unfair sporting advantage"

"Neither Pirelli nor Mercedes acted in bad faith "

So the word 'cheating' in big capital letters is a bit extreme.
Well people can buy that if they want - to me it's clear that they broke a sporting regulation and no amount of clever wording can change that.

In my view, to suggest that they should have been given at least a day of testing at the YDT is far more extreme than calling them out for what they did.

WhiteBlue

SilverArrow wrote:Well people can buy that if they want - to me it's clear that they broke a sporting regulation and no amount of clever wording can change that.
In my view, to suggest that they should have been given at least a day of testing at the YDT is far more extreme than calling them out for what they did.
Could you have a little consideration of the people who have become sick and tired of reading about the three months long debate over the Pirelli/Mercedes test on all and every thread? It would be appreciated.

SilverArrow

WhiteBlue wrote:
SilverArrow wrote:Well people can buy that if they want - to me it's clear that they broke a sporting regulation and no amount of clever wording can change that.
Could you have a little consideration of the people who have become sick and tired of reading about the three months long debate over the Pirelli/Mercedes test on all and every thread? It would be appreciated.
Hit a nerve? I didn't bring it up, and my posts were at least in some way tied to the YDT.

Redragon

The interview were Alonso was talking about going on to the Young drivers test was in Spanish and only some bits were translated to english.

Overall what he said, it is not that he wasn't interested on going to the Young Drivers test.
What he mentioned was, that if the tests were going to be about testing tyres and were not permitted to test new parts, he would prefer to spent time in the simulator and training to get ready for next race, because he is not a Pirelli test driver and either pirelli drivers or young drivers are professional enough and would do a great work.
But if Ferrari was asking him or thought it was necessary to go, he will go.

Hail22

F1 Young Driver Test Technical Analysis by Jpetrolhead:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRad8lLHRjU[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Kiril Varbanov

Hail22 wrote:F1 Young Driver Test Technical Analysis by Jpetrolhead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRad8lLHRjU
The text version from Matt Somers, quite extensive, actually.

KeiKo403

One thing I noticed, there was no tyre marbles/chuncks just offline as we saw at the Silverstone Race. I know the trye's are different to the one's used for the SS race and Nir-ring race too so are these new tyre's more sterdier? Also, Vettel's time was the fastest on day 3, it was very hot and his time was 1:32.894. His SS 3rd place Q3 time was alot quicker 1:30.211. Can we deduce that running Pirelli cambers, pressures etc in combination with the new tryes have created a 1.5s laptime increase?

krisfx

KeiKo403 wrote:One thing I noticed, there was no tyre marbles/chuncks just offline as we saw at the Silverstone Race. I know the trye's are different to the one's used for the SS race and Nir-ring race too so are these new tyre's more sterdier? Also, Vettel's time was the fastest on day 3, it was very hot and his time was 1:32.894. His SS 3rd place Q3 time was alot quicker 1:30.211. Can we deduce that running Pirelli cambers, pressures etc in combination with the new tryes have created a 1.5s laptime increase?

It could be that they may have been running slightly more fuel than in qualifying to test race durability. Heat and set up will also have quite an effect.

An article I just read states that they had to set the car up on basically a base set up, so it wasn't that much to Vettel's liking

gandharva

- different tires
- different temps
- different setup
- different fuel level??