Golden ratio present in F1 design?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Re: Golden ratio present in F1 design?

Beware of spending too much time finding patterns. 8)

Richard

So that shows the photographers have a good sense of proportion when framing the shots?

Kiril Varbanov

richard_leeds wrote:So that shows the photographers have a good sense of proportion when framing the shots?
They should be. At least most of them are following the Rule of Thirds, as it seems.
But that's hardly a surprise. F1 photographers aren't randomly selected, as most of you may know, there's an entry criteria.

MOWOG

Having read the above posts, i am reminded of a line from a song by Simon & Garfunkle:

"All lies in jest till a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

:wink:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

SectorOne

I think the difference between the images and let´s say Aston Martin is that we know they use it in real life.
We don´t know if F1 teams use it in real life so fitting diagrams on top of skewed images won´t say much.

Quite funny pictures though ;) Especially the Ferrari one!

-
Saw this article and a comment was pure gold,
http://io9.com/5985588/15-uncanny-examp ... -in-nature
"More evidence that we're living in a simulation. Some lazy designer took a single number and copy/pasted it fricken everywhere."
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

hollus

Following the Fibonacci ratio (defined exactly as 1.6little) in pictures reminds me of this proof that 63=64:

Rivals, not enemies.

Pup
Pup

richard_leeds wrote:So that shows the photographers have a good sense of proportion when framing the shots?
Shows that if you draw enough lines, eventually something will line up. This is the conspiracy theory version of geometry.

Manoah2u

xpensive wrote:With a bit of good will, I guess you can find the 1.618 ratio in most things in life, just as 3.1415 is with us everywhere?
thought exactly the same
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ScottB

We do have a predisposition to finding the ratio attractive however, plenty studies have been done on various objects, even faces, people will pick the ones that fit the ratio as the most aesthetically pleasing.

But F1 cars aren't design on pure aesthetics alone (clearly this season!), so while you will find it in many of the cars I'm sure, it wouldn't have been an intentional starting point.