How much do Stats tell us about driver performance?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sennafan24

Re: How much do Stats tell us about driver performance?

Stradivarius wrote: I am not putting the blame on Senna for any of these incidents. But that doesn't change the fact that what happened was driver related and it wasn't all the other driver's fault. I would say it was typical racing incidents where both drivers could have avoided a collision by backing off, but none of them did. And this has been my point all the time. Senna rarely backed off, Prost rarely crashed.
You may have a point, I half agreed with you above. Prost was more careful than Senna, and had a less aggressive style. Senna to paraphase would always "race to win" he won more races that Prost in 1989 even with the larger amount of DNF's 6-4. Prost did avoid collisions (apart from Japan 89)

Australia, Senna was blind in the worst conditions I have seen a race (maybe Germany 2008 can rival it?), I find it hard to entertain how he could be more careful, I think anyone was prone to plowing into anyone else.

The rest you have said is your "speculation" I can see your points on both Brazil and Portugal. We will never know if Prost in Senna's shoes would have fallen foul, but I can entertain the possibility. Portugal you probably do have a point, not that it was Senna's fault, but him and Mansell would never yield for each other, both were pretty reckless with one another.

Mansell should have not even been on the track due to him being black flagged, but I understand that is irrelevant in discussing the dynamics of the actually crash. Still it was the incompetence of Mansell, that the scenario occured in the first place.

Richard

sennafan24 wrote:...
I think the last few posts have comprehensively proven the point.

sennafan24

richard_leeds wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:...
I think the last few posts have comprehensively proven the point.
I have given Prost plenty of credit as well, if you read my posts. And agreed with a lot of what the poster I have been debating with has had to say in his critic of Senna.

Richard

I think you've misunderstood my comment.

Every statistic thread reaches the end of its life within a few pages and becomes opinion.

There is no statistic for "I also feel it would have been very possible for Senna to avoid a collision" or " Senna was in a difficult position, as he had Patrese to the left and Berger to the right".

We have this sort of thread every once in a while and they usually resemble a car crash. At least it has been good natured this time and impressive for reaching 5 pages.