The Singapore Sling

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MOWOG

The Singapore Sling

Changes to the racing circuit in Singapore will be completed prior to this year's race, according to GrandPrix.com:

Singapore removes unpopular chicane

Organisers of the Singapore grand prix will finally remove the controversial 'Singapore sling' chicane. The slow and unusual chicane, featuring high and harsh kerbs for the left-right-left flick, has been consistently criticised by drivers and teams since the sport arrived at the now highly-popular night race venue in 2008.

Speed Week correspondent Mathias Brunner reports this week that Turn 10 of the Marina Bay street circuit will now be a simple left-hand corner. The report also said the layout at key sections including turns 1-2, 5-8 and along the esplanade will be resurfaced in order to make the track less bumpy.

This year's Singapore grand prix will be held on 22 September.
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

GitanesBlondes

Re: The Singapore Sling

They still need to take more corners out.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

gray41

What will it known as now? Singapore "left"?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Lycoming

... I actually rather liked that corner ...

But not enough to miss it.

raymondu999

It'll probably still be called the sling. At least that's how the safety marshalls are calling it, anyways. This isn't actually news, but it was already released to the marshalls in a safety briefing as early as April of this year. I'm not marshalling, but I do have a friend who is. He's the same one who supplied me with pictures of Charlie Whiting's office and also race control - you can see last year's Singapore race thread for those.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ozan

they may change the chicane to the one in Monaco

Richard

raymondu999 wrote:I'm not marshalling, but I do have a friend who is. He's the same one who supplied me with pictures of Charlie Whiting's office and also race control - you can see last year's Singapore race thread for those.
This one? :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 21#p375521

godlameroso

There's no such thing as simple left turn...if they can carry too much speed through it, the approach to the Andersen bridge becomes more dangerous. If it's another 90 degree corner meh. I would take into account the slight right that comes after that left.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

richard_leeds wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I'm not marshalling, but I do have a friend who is. He's the same one who supplied me with pictures of Charlie Whiting's office and also race control - you can see last year's Singapore race thread for those.
This one? :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 21#p375521
That's the one.

My friend has apparently already seen the new track layout diagram back in April. Will hit him up and see what he'll spill :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

So I was wrong, they haven't seen the new layout. The safety briefing for the marshalls just told the marshalls that it was going to be turned into a single left hander. Apparently the word "sweeping" and "fast" cropped up, but that wasn't part of the official briefing. Nor can I imagine how they'd manage to get the runoff for that (there's a building right where the runoff should be, if they want to make a fast corner there)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

So once again FIA takes the skill and danger out of F1. It was a great corner that you needed to get spot on, if you don´t ask Kimi what happens.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GitanesBlondes

godlameroso wrote:There's no such thing as simple left turn...if they can carry too much speed through it, the approach to the Andersen bridge becomes more dangerous. If it's another 90 degree corner meh. I would take into account the slight right that comes after that left.
F1 could use a little more danger to be quite honest.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

beelsebob

GitanesBlondes wrote:
godlameroso wrote:There's no such thing as simple left turn...if they can carry too much speed through it, the approach to the Andersen bridge becomes more dangerous. If it's another 90 degree corner meh. I would take into account the slight right that comes after that left.
F1 could use a little more danger to be quite honest.
No, no it couldn't. It's already an extremely dangerous sport, we already see deaths in it and other motor sports. We do not need to see more.

Richard

I agree that F1 could do with a few more places where a run off causes a DNF or limp to the pits for a new nose. That's not the same as mortal danger.

The bold driver taking that risk will be rewarded by pressurising the cautious driver in front.

SectorOne

beelsebob wrote:we already see deaths in it and other motor sports.
No we don´t. We saw deaths yes but the last death in F1 was a very long time ago.

It also seems like if you are out for safety this would be the last corner on the list to make safer.
It´s probably more to do with safety.....regarding the cars.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"