The Singapore Sling

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GitanesBlondes

Re: The Singapore Sling

beelsebob wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
godlameroso wrote:There's no such thing as simple left turn...if they can carry too much speed through it, the approach to the Andersen bridge becomes more dangerous. If it's another 90 degree corner meh. I would take into account the slight right that comes after that left.
F1 could use a little more danger to be quite honest.
No, no it couldn't. It's already an extremely dangerous sport, we already see deaths in it and other motor sports. We do not need to see more.
:roll:

Sorry, I disagree there.

It's not even remotely close to being near the danger it was even 15 years ago.

Also bob, it's racing, it's always been dangerous. That's always been part of the allure - to watch heroes taking risks that us mere mortals would not. Things go wrong sometimes, but given the strength of the chassis construction nowadays, that alone has done far more to protect drivers than anything.

A pity Denis Jenkinson isn't still with us as I'd love to see what he would say about the influx of idiotic run-off areas. As a side note, the tarmac run-off areas we are seeing plague many of the FIA grade 1 circuits are actually extremely dangerous to motorcycle riders.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

beelsebob
beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:
beelsebob wrote:we already see deaths in it and other motor sports.
No we don´t. We saw deaths yes but the last death in F1 was a very long time ago.
If by a long time ago you mean 2 months, sure.
Also bob, it's racing, it's always been dangerous. That's always been part of the allure - to watch heroes taking risks that us mere mortals would not. Things go wrong sometimes, but given the strength of the chassis construction nowadays, that alone has done far more to protect drivers than anything.

A pity Denis Jenkinson isn't still with us as I'd love to see what he would say about the influx of idiotic run-off areas. As a side note, the tarmac run-off areas we are seeing plague many of the FIA grade 1 circuits are actually extremely dangerous to motorcycle riders.
Thank god we've had people like Jackie Stewart to fight against this kind of idiocy. The idea that it's not racing if people aren't being killed is frankly retarded.

GitanesBlondes

beelsebob wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
beelsebob wrote:we already see deaths in it and other motor sports.
No we don´t. We saw deaths yes but the last death in F1 was a very long time ago.
If by a long time ago you mean 2 months, sure.

Thank god we've had people like Jackie Stewart to fight against this kind of idiocy. The idea that it's not racing if people aren't being killed is frankly retarded.
Jackie Stewart was a bloviating, jackass hypocrite who talked a real big game but did little to back up his empty words.

This is where you say, "Oh no, what are you talking about?"

Point out to me where Jackie Stewart ever bothered to stop for any driver who was in trouble? Graham Hill was kind enough to help him out at Spa in 1966, yet that example never seemed to stick with him other than to regal people with his stories. What do I mean? Do you recall Jackie helping Hailwood pulling Reggazoni from the burning car at Kyalami in '73? No, I sure don't. He was too busy passing under yellow flags to bother helping a fellow driver. Do you remember him bothering to stop to try and help David Purley pull Roger Williamson from the wreck at Zandvoort a few months later? No, I sure don't either.

The king of safety who did little to help anyone else on the circuit during a race. What a stellar role model.

Here's the thing I want to point out to you since it's usually lost on most people. Denis Jenkinson received a lot of heat from people then, and still does for that matter regarding what he said about Jackie Stewart and safety. A lot of people said who was he other than a writer? Remember, he was Stirling Moss' navigator for the 1955 Mille Miglia - a race far deadlier than any grand prix ever was due to it being on public roads that were not closed off (try doing 150MPH over blind crests with no idea of what was on the other side). He also did a bit of motorcycle racing, which was always far deadlier than auto racing ever was in any era.

You know what your problem is? You can't possibly fathom that someone might not like the current circuit environment for a plethora of reasons, none of which have to do with wanting to see anyone killed. Don't put words in my mouth because I never mentioned a single thing about seeing people killed. I said F1 could do with a little more danger. Not really quite the same thing as saying, "F1 could do with more danger so we see drivers running the risk of being killed again." But that would have meant you couldn't use your straw man argument. There's a fine distinction between wanting to see some danger brought back to F1 by way of eliminating endless runoffs and silly chicanes, versus calling for all armco to be removed along with trees lining the sides of the circuit.

Try again.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

spinmastermic

Is there any drawings of what the new corner will look like?

raymondu999

spinmastermic wrote:Is there any drawings of what the new corner will look like?
If there are, there have been no releases yet. The marshalls, I'm told, were only informed that it will now be a "sweeping left hander"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

Guess it will be a wider Tabac

Shrieker

It could be a good overtaking spot if made into a slow(very) and wide corner.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

WilliamsF1 wrote:Guess it will be a wider Tabac
Never thought of that before. Would love to see it though!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Thank god it's gone, probably the worse corner of any tack on the f1 calender.

SectorOne

beelsebob wrote:If by a long time ago you mean 2 months, sure.
Oh please, you are blaming the sport of F1 because one guy got run over by a truck? That´s hardly Formula 1´s fault.
That´s like someone dying of a heart attack in the stands then count that as a death in F1.

To bad but it was definitely not F1´s fault for his perish.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

oT v1
oT v1

its a good move and i hope they increase overtaking on the bridge :) if there is another low speed zone like before its kind of pointless.

hmm, risk and reward shouldnt have to include death, i think there should be more punishment for messing up though, its a bit fustrating seeing the 'sausages' being removed from the edge of curbs due to complaints from the drivers that its breaking the cars.......you shouldnt be there!!

I think the only case for a large tarmac run off is on first corners, where rightly you shouldnt have an accident 10 cars up the road forcing you to wait 10+ seconds to get through (monza/spa for example).
The Power of Dreams