Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

How do we see this happening? In 2014, I expect Vettel to comprehensively outdo Ricciardo, except for the odd 2 or 3 races, perhaps one or two of which Ricciardo could win. I think Ricciardo will have to up his qualifying game - IMO if he repeats his laps which got him into Q3 this year and last year, that will get him near Vettel, but not quite ahead. Race pace, he will have a lot to answer for as Vettel is no slouch there, whilst Ricciardo has so far yet to show that he can outscore Vergne. Vettel will be a much tougher proposition in the races than Vergne.

Here's Liuzzi's take:
Daniel is a fast driver and it makes sense for Red Bull after they’ve spent so much money in the development programme to choose him. It’s the more obvious decision.

Comparing him with Vettel, I think he can be competitive. Where Vettel was when he was my team-mate in 2007 is where Daniel was as well when he was my team-mate in 2011. Now, Sebastian is three-time world champion. I don’t think there is another obvious choice.

At HRT in 2011, Daniel was all right. But, and it was the same for Vettel, when he did the first race he’d already driven so many kilometres.

Daniel struggled a bit at Silverstone [in 2011], then had a few good races, and then struggled again. But overall, he was pretty similar to when Vettel started with me at Toro Rosso.

The Red Bull is still the best car in F1, so I’m sure Daniel can show a good performance.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mnmracer

Re: Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

It will probably much depend on if Ricciardo will have his 'Valencia moment', or maybe he has already had his.
Liuzzi's time with Vettel was prior to this.
Toro Rosso's technical director Giorgio Ascanelli explained said that something changed at the European Grand Prix in Valencia: "Suddenly Vettel understood something about how to drive an F1 car quickly. It made a huge difference – not only to the speed he could unlock, but also to his ability to do so consistently."
Since it's Ricciardo's first year in Red Bull, the first 6 to 8 races will most likely be 8:0 for Vettel, who is on top of his game right now. The interesting bit comes after that. I don't think Ricciardo is as fast a qualifier as Webber though, so I expect that to be either 17:2 or 19:0. In the first year, Daniel might swoop up the occasional better race performance. In 2015, if he can show to be the real deal, I think we might have an interesting battle again. Not of 2010 proportions, but much closer than Mark is this year.

raymondu999

I think Ricciardo now is not as fast a qualifier as Webber in his prime, but as fast as 2013? I dunno.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mnmracer

True, but I still imagine 2014 will be a walk-over. 2015 will be interesting.

raymondu999

Interesting really. Either way, Vettel is a big loser in the Ricciardo-to-Red Bull deal. If he walks over Ricciardo, it'd be because he was trodding over a rubbish driver, in the best car. If he gets equalled/beat by Ricciardo, people will cite that as proof of Vettel not being as good as Hamilton/Alonso etc
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

mnmracer wrote:It will probably much depend on if Ricciardo will have his 'Valencia moment', or maybe he has already had his.
Liuzzi's time with Vettel was prior to this.
Toro Rosso's technical director Giorgio Ascanelli explained said that something changed at the European Grand Prix in Valencia: "Suddenly Vettel understood something about how to drive an F1 car quickly. It made a huge difference – not only to the speed he could unlock, but also to his ability to do so consistently."
Since it's Ricciardo's first year in Red Bull, the first 6 to 8 races will most likely be 8:0 for Vettel, who is on top of his game right now. The interesting bit comes after that. I don't think Ricciardo is as fast a qualifier as Webber though, so I expect that to be either 17:2 or 19:0. In the first year, Daniel might swoop up the occasional better race performance. In 2015, if he can show to be the real deal, I think we might have an interesting battle again. Not of 2010 proportions, but much closer than Mark is this year.
Red Bull will not be able to blow the diffuser in 2014. Therefore we may end with a similar case to the start of 2012 where Vettel was outqualified in the opening 3 races.

LionKing

Gerhard Berger wrote:Red Bull will not be able to blow the diffuser in 2014. Therefore we may end with a similar case to the start of 2012 where Vettel was outqualified in the opening 3 races.
I don't think it matters at all.
RBR did not have EBD in 2009, Vettel first year there. The result was 15-2 in qualifying over Webber ...

Webber2011

Daniel just needs to drive it like it's stolen in the first few races.
Throw everything he's got into it, and show everyone what he's made of ;)

If he can match Seb in 2014 I will be amazed !
If he can keep close I will be very happy :)

I reckon 2015, with a year at the team, and a better understanding of the car, he will be on par with Sebastian ;)

oT v1

Will Melbourne be the first round next year as well? Could be a blockbuster start for him :D

EDIT: i can see him at least bettering Webber's results, probably from an easier start but still RB will be stronger than ever in the WCC.
The Power of Dreams

Shrieker

I'm afraid Daniel is at best as good as Webber as we've come to known him lately.

Seb will walk it.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SectorOne

raymondu999 wrote:If he gets equalled/beat by Ricciardo, people will cite that as proof of Vettel not being as good as Hamilton/Alonso etc
That depends on the outcome. If Ricciardo trashes him then that would probably be true.
But if it´s neck and neck i think people will look at Ricciardo as a solid driver rather then Vettel a bad one.

Like in the case of Rosberg although now Hamilton has started to stretch his feet a bit.
But still, now people have in black and white that Rosberg is no joke. (most of us already knew that)

My take on what will happen.... Ricciardo will get stomped in every area by Vettel because Vettel is rightly in the same category as Hamilton and Alonso.
Then who´s the best/quickest of those we can discuss until the sun dies out.
But i think there´s no dispute from any camp that he´s in that camp of top drivers. Raikkonen included.

If you can´t beat Vergne in points you are not going to beat Vettel in points, it´s as simple as that.
Unless he has a "aha-moment" as they say Vettel did which i´m not so sure actually happend.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GrizzleBoy

I feel the title should be "Red Bull vs Ricciardo 2014-20XX"

mnmracer

SectorOne wrote:Unless he has a "aha-moment" as they say Vettel did which i´m not so sure actually happened.
Surely such a bold statement deserves some explanation.

raymondu999

GrizzleBoy wrote:I feel the title should be "Red Bull vs Ricciardo 2014-20XX"
Except this thread is meant to discuss only next year, not subsequent years
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

realistically, I think Riccardo priority for 2014 should be about establishing himself as a credible driver like Mark Webber in RBR instead of committing himself to beating Vettel in his first season.