Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan

Re: Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Phil wrote:Personally, I am mighty impressed by Ricciardo. Never did I think would he prove to be this competitive and I for one am extremely happy that he won his first race on Sunday. This will only make him an even stronger driver in the future, as it adds confidence to his already consistent driving. Well done!

I also have to say that I am mighty mighty impressed by Vettel. When they got out of the car and he gave Ricciardo a hug and almost lifted him, it did wonders to gain back some of the credit he lost back when he ignored team orders. Extremely nice gesture, despite the difficult race Vettel endured. Had he not been as unfortunate with the pitstops, it could have been he, who could have won. None to less, this is how racing goes some times and Ricciardo drove a fantastic race to end where he did.

I'm going to be very interested to see how this battle of the two continue. I still think Ricciardo has the edge and will continue to, but the gap has surely narrowed.
This is what I like about Vettel the most, I get the impression that he is genuine down to earth guy. However, I don't think for one second he wouldn't rather it was him standing on that podium :mrgreen: but he has the confidence to congratulate Ric because he is a x4 WDC. He will be plotting revenge, I think Vettel has been getting stronger and will continue to :mrgreen:

loweyz

RB: Perhaps the crucial phase of the race was the second round of pitstops. You were running seventh behind Valtteri
Bottas with Seb just in front of him. You emerged in front of both. What happened?
DR: Valtteri pitted to attempt the undercut. I would have responded on the next lap but Seb was the lead car and so took
that option and I came in one lap later. I think I just had a very clean in-lap and got away well after the guys gave me
a phenomenal stop. I think Seb must have come out in traffic and wasn't able to get on it 100 per cent and so I was able
to get it done. That set us up for the end of the race, definitely.

Take what you want outta this but seb did make the decision to pit first, ricciardo did have an insane in lap luck/speed whatever
Awesome job from both drivers driving the "cucumber" seb lol I think red bull hated that comment
The problem with a rat race is, even if you win your stiil a rat.

PlatinumZealot

Yes, true. I remember Seb telling to Rocky to get creative with the pit stop then Rocky called him in the next lap. Then when Danny Boy undercut him, Vettel realised that he made a crappy decision to pit at that time he started blaming Rocky for calling him in to early. I thought it was funny to say the least.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mnmracer

n smikle wrote:Yes, true. I remember Seb telling to Rocky to get creative with the pit stop then Rocky called him in the next lap. Then when Danny Boy undercut him, Vettel realised that he made a crappy decision to pit at that time he started blaming Rocky for calling him in to early. I thought it was funny to say the least.
Those are two conflicting statements.
Either "Rocky called him in" or "Vettel ... made a crappy decision to pit".
Which one is it?

SilverArrow

mnmracer wrote:
n smikle wrote:Yes, true. I remember Seb telling to Rocky to get creative with the pit stop then Rocky called him in the next lap. Then when Danny Boy undercut him, Vettel realised that he made a crappy decision to pit at that time he started blaming Rocky for calling him in to early. I thought it was funny to say the least.
Which one is it?
The way I understood it, it's both.

rayden

mnm you used to give it large to the Webber supporters for pulling out the excuse book all the time, now your doing the same thing. :lol:

mnmracer

rayden wrote:mnm you used to give it large to the Webber supporters for pulling out the excuse book all the time, now your doing the same thing. :lol:
I don't believe I ever 'give it large' for "pulling out the excuse book".

A singular or combined effort to explore what has happened and draw conclusions from that is the very purpose of an information exchange such as a forum. What I "give it large" to are incorrect, unbased, double standard or context missing statements.
Last edited by mnmracer on 11 Jun 2014, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

mnmracer

SilverArrow wrote:
mnmracer wrote:
Which one is it?
The way I understood it, it's both.
How?
If Rocky "called him in", it was not Sebastian's decision to pit. Rocky "called him in" = Rocky's decision.
If Sebastian made the decision to pit, Rocky did not "call him in".

If n_s' premise of "Seb telling Rocky get creative" was correct, than obviously the outcome of that creativity, the choice of when to pit was Rocky's.

Powerslide

JimClarkFan wrote: This is what I like about Vettel the most, I get the impression that he is genuine down to earth guy.
About as genuine as ramming Mark Webber off the championship and then saying Webber rammed him. A very lovable character most definitely
speed

Juzh

Powerslide wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote: This is what I like about Vettel the most, I get the impression that he is genuine down to earth guy.
About as genuine as ramming Mark Webber off the championship and then saying Webber rammed him. A very lovable character most definitely
lol. let it go already.

Mandrake

turbof1 wrote:
I'm merely pointing that Ric put in a decent performance himself ...
Yes indeed! He knew exactly when to strike against Vettel, putting in a monster lap when Vettel had his outlap. And he had to pull everything out of the car when he made the pass on Perez (incredible that even with DRS the renault engine is slower then a non-drs mercedes engine.). Epic stuff.

When they got back in the room before the podium he was like: taking a breath, SMILE. taking a sip, SMILE. Hat on, SMILE. Such a positive energy around him.
Agreed with everything except the "monster" lap. Ricciardo had a gap of 1,5 - 2secs to Hülkenberg when Vettel pitted. He was sitting in a much quicker car. So he just closed the gap to Hulk, subsequently lapping much quicker than Vettel before. Vettel with cold tires got stuck behind Perez and could again not exploit the better laptime of his car. Ricciardo's stop was as good as Vettel's (-0,1s) and that way he got by.

Not taking anything away of him, but he just drove error free to the cars performance and gained the place that way.
He said something like be smart with strategy. Vettel never said call me in, nor did he claim to know what is best for him in that situation at first. Only the team knew where he would end up after the stop. After getting stuck behind Perez he felt it was the wrong decision.

But it was too late anyways. A later stop would have left both Redbulls even further behind (look where Hulkenberg was). With hindsight they should have come in earlier and tried the undercut earlier...

loweyz

Umm the statement I posted before was straight off infiniti's website with ricciardo saying that vettel was given the option to pit and took it attempting to undercut
The problem with a rat race is, even if you win your stiil a rat.

basti313

loweyz wrote:Umm the statement I posted before was straight off infiniti's website with ricciardo saying that vettel was given the option to pit and took it attempting to undercut
For me the strategy was given by the Williams...nothing to talk about. If Vettel would have stayed out it would have been an easy undercut for Bottas who would have been impossible to overtake, like Ric showed in the first stint.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Pierce89

mnmracer wrote:
rayden wrote:mnm you used to give it large to the Webber supporters for pulling out the excuse book all the time, now your doing the same thing. :lol:
I don't believe I ever 'give it large' for "pulling out the excuse book".

A singular or combined effort to explore what has happened and draw conclusions from that is the very purpose of an information exchange such as a forum. What I "give it large" to are incorrect, unbased, double standard or context missing statements.
Whenever some one points out that Ricci is clearly out driving Vettel, you call it incorrect,unbased,double standard or missing context. Its the same bs every time Ricci hands Vettel another defeat.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SpecialCircumstances

Vettel never chose himself to pit.

First of all, he did NOT tell Rocky to "get creative", he told them to "be smart about the strategy". They proceeded to do the exact opposite of being smart.
Vettel afterwards, when he came out behind Ricciardo, complained aboutwhy didn't they leave him out. This clearly shows it was not his choice to come in and he just followed the pit order.

RB made the wrong call there, plain and simple.