Belgium 2012 vs Italy 2011 start incidents

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Belgium 2012 vs Italy 2011 start incidents

Just wondering what people's views were of Liuzzi's 2011 Italian GP startline incident, versus Grosjean's 2012 Belgian GP startline incident, and the greatly differing penalties between the two
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_

Re: Belgium 2012 vs Italy 2011 start incidents

And I'll add the 2013 GP3 race 1 in Italy, where Zamparelli made a 2011-Luizzi move at the start (went on the grass and rejoined the track in Rettifilo), took out 3 or 4 cars and was suspended from race 2.

Inconsistency at its best.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

timbo

raymondu999 wrote:Just wondering what people's views were of Liuzzi's 2011 Italian GP startline incident, versus Grosjean's 2012 Belgian GP startline incident, and the greatly differing penalties between the two
In case of Grosjean the penalty was obviously cumulative.

beelsebob

To me, it's fairly clear that the FIA enforce penalties based on who committed the act, not based on what the act was. This has been fairly clear to a good few people for a long time, and resulted in "Ferrari International Assistance", amongst other names for the FIA.

Perhaps the best thing I can imagine the FIA doing at this point is introducing some system of precedent to the sport, where by under a set of rules, the penalty for an offence can be appealed (either by the wronged, or the person who committed it) on the grounds that someone else got a lesser/greater penalty for doing effectively the same thing.

beelsebob

timbo wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Just wondering what people's views were of Liuzzi's 2011 Italian GP startline incident, versus Grosjean's 2012 Belgian GP startline incident, and the greatly differing penalties between the two
In case of Grosjean the penalty was obviously cumulative.
Indeed – however the rules make no allowance for cumulative penalties. Though they are a good idea, and I'm glad that they're being introduced next year.