2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lillschumi
lillschumi

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Looking at the Toro Rosso then i´m wondering if the new noses is dangerous. Some are so thin you wonder if they can protrude a monocoque in a crash.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lillschumi wrote:Looking at the Toro Rosso then i´m wondering if the new noses is dangerous. Some are so thin you wonder if they can protrude a monocoque in a crash.
no they cant.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

flattyre
flattyre

lillschumi wrote:Looking at the Toro Rosso then i´m wondering if the new noses is dangerous. Some are so thin you wonder if they can protrude a monocoque in a crash.
I've been thinking the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to remember that they tried to ban thin noses during the mid-90s, because of fears that it would be very dangerous to be hit by it in a crash. I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember Martin Brundle saying about it a few years ago...

Last edited by flattyre on 27 Jan 2014, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

flattyre wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that they tried to ban thin noses during the mid-90s, because of fears that it would be very dangerous to be hit by it in a crash. I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember Martin Brundle saying this a few years ago...

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/5061
not at all. the noses in pre 1996 cars were pointy too. they break off just as a fatter one will, hence the crash test. it's not a spear of titanium that'll slice through. apart from that, the monocoque of the driver is built to absorb energy too. there's no way a nose will portrude another car in any way, ever.

f1 cars first of all are not concrete walls that are immovable when they get hit. IF for some freak reason the nose of a car would be able to reach the monocoque of another f1 car, then the energy of that car would push the other car sideways instead of portrude it. but even wayy before that, the nose has shattered into bits and pieces.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Mr.G

Are there some penetration tests for the noses? I know there are crash tests, but they are hitting a solid wall in there. Now the noses are more pointy and they surly will penetrate easier than the wide ones, doesn't it?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

djos

charlex wrote:worst nose? cock rosso toro rosso
Nah, the Lotus DDN is uglier.
"In downforce we trust"

SilverArrow10

Go and have a look at Force India. my god it gets worse.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

mborsik
mborsik

Now that we've seen practically all cars: as someone already said, I'd like to see the bulls and mercs lock out the front rows all year to hide all the ugliness on the grid, and also to prove that the rest are a bunch of idiots! :twisted:

SectorOne

Mr.G wrote:Are there some penetration tests for the noses? I know there are crash tests, but they are hitting a solid wall in there. Now the noses are more pointy and they surly will penetrate easier than the wide ones, doesn't it?
Nose will always lose in a collision with the monocoque.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Mr.G wrote: the noses are more pointy and they surly will penetrate easier than the wide ones, doesn't it?
no they won't. not by any chance.

Kiril Varbanov

To summarize the situation:

Holm86

Kiril Varbanov wrote:To summarize the situation:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfEz1isCMAA3wf6.jpg:large
As of now the Marussia is the best looking :lol:

SectorOne

i did not even realize we had not seen the Marussia yet... Well that´s nice, one more car to discover!

Edit: and i just realized i had not seen the Caterham either.....and kinda wish i never did.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

antiuser

I'm getting a retro vibe from the Caterham...

ElDictatore
ElDictatore

They are designed to shatter pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PdN4Yuotk