Career in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
I LOVE F1
I LOVE F1

Career in F1?

Hi
I am 14 years old living in the UK and if you couldn't tell by my username, I love F1. However i am unsure what i would like to do in the future but i would like to know if its likely, and how i would manage to get a job working in F1? I am mainly interested in the technical aspects of the cars like the aerodynamics and the mechanical parts.
Thanks

flattyre
flattyre

Re: Career in F1?

First of all, good luck in getting your dream career :D

There are several options - seeing as you're still at school, I'd say the best bet is to choose subjects for A Levels that will let you go to university to study Mechanical Engineering. These are maths, physics, and design. Becoming an engineer will mean that you learn how to design, test, build and develop F1 cars, road cars, planes, or anything along those lines. Make sure to go to a uni that has a 'Formula Student' team, as this will be a brilliant way to gain experience relevant to F1. If you do well, you can work with an F1 team (or any motorsport company) for a year, and then you'll go back to uni to do your final year of study.

That's what I've done, and the future looks bright! There are other ways, but I'll leave that up to other people to explain, as they'll know more about it than me. Again, good luck mate.

krisfx
krisfx

I just went on my placement, it's incredibly competitive for the motorsport placements, I would recommend somewhere design based where you get more creative freedom, as it teaches you core skills. As said previously, good A level subjects are your first step

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Same spiel I usually give. Don't get your heart set on F1, you really don't know yet if it's what you want to do. Trust me on that one. You may enjoy F1 the sport, but that doesn't mean you'll want anything to do working in it. You won't know that for a long time.

That said, if you're really into the math / science / technical fields, then go for it. Go to university and be an engineer. Excel at it. Be the best, make a name for yourself. And when you graduate university - say when you're 22 years old and your life perspective has completely changed several times - then maybe getting started in professional motorsports is the way to go. Maybe it isn't. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Does it help to go to a university with a lot of networking and some motorsport prestige? Sure. Is it necessary? No, it isn't, not at all.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.