F2007 was illegal - Stepney

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: F2007 was illegal - Stepney

Well you don't know that now do you. Many things could have happened.
Maybe Alonso gets a back injury for the last 2 races? :lol: It's all woulda coulda shoulda.
For Sure!!

Sevach

Manoah2u wrote:
Interestingly, that thus means, that, had Ferrari been disqualified from these results - then the end result would have been Lewis Hamilton being the F1 World Champion of 2007, instead of missing out with just 1 point, on his debut year.
With Kimi disqualified from the Australian GP, Alonso would have 5 wins to Hamilton's 4, Alonso winning the title.

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:since this 'news' broke cover just now because of the hearing in the 'ecclestone bribery' hearing, with bernie admitting he indeed payed quite some $$ to team owners back then [ Eddie Jordan, Alain Prost and more have admitted been payed to their personal bank accounts, not the team, to accept the concorde agreement ], it's not hard to connect the dots payment has been made to 'keep the mouth shut' or in Mcl's case that would mean, don't protest officially against the Illegality of the '07 Ferrari with which kimi won the GP.

Interestingly, that thus means, that, had Ferrari been disqualified from these results - then the end result would have been Lewis Hamilton being the F1 World Champion of 2007, instead of missing out with just 1 point, on his debut year.

What i'd like to know is, is it still NOW possible to take action against the 2007 championship over this cause? I'm thinking out loud regarding the 'crashgate' scandal for example, even though I don't recall anything being altered about the actual championship results of '08, in the end, several people involved were banned or restricted as a result. Could any legal action be taken against the Ferrari team regarding this because of the satement Stepney made? - Just curious.
Hope its not the case. Hamilton and Alonso had a very competitive car, the best one, thanks to the spygate, so they didnt deserve to win the championship. RaikkonenΒ΄s victory in the last race was some kind of "nemisis divina"(divine justice).

Andi76

SectorOne wrote: ↑
07 Nov 2013, 20:13
Quite an interesting story.
Ferrari's former head of performance management has admitted that the F2007, which won the constructors' title, used an illegal floor during the opening race of the season.
Speaking to Racecar Engineering, Stepney gave details of the 2007 'spy-gate' scandal of which he was at the centre of after he passed secret Ferrari data to McLaren's Mick Coughlan.
Before that though, he admitted he knew the team were using what he thought was an illegal rear-wing and a moveable floor which is deemed illegal under the regulations.
He discussed both developments with his former colleague, Coughlan, during an informal chat ahead of the Australian Grand Prix. "I like to try to win on a fair basis but when I was there I disagreed with something that was going on within Ferrari," he told the magazine.
"I thought it was not correct, and although I was wrong to discuss it [with a rival], winning until you get stopped was not the correct way. It went against the grain." Coughlin reported the revelation to his bosses at McLaren.
Then team principal Ron Dennis sought clarification from the FIA on the matter.
The rear-wing was declared legal, but the floor wasn't. However Dennis chose not to protest the result of the race - which Ferrari won. In a latter seen by the magazine, Dennis wrote: "We chose not to protest the result of the Australian Grand Prix even though it seems clear that Ferrari had an illegal competitive advantage."
Had McLaren protested, it's likely Ferrari would have been disqualified, resulting in the loss of ten points for Kimi Raikkonen and handing the title to Lewis Hamilton.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08190
Seems a bit odd how Mclaren could let it fly if they knew the car was illegal.

Better article here,
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... l-details/
Very old post, i know, but with the floors of the F1-75 and the RB18 and the Haas being exactly the same, it seems relevant today. But anyway - i want to add here that Stepney was really full of hypocrasy here and his true motivation was clearly totally different if one knows two things:

1. all things added there was a 15mm tolerance. And this tolerance was used by Ferrari. So it was a clever Interpretation of the regulary or going to the absolute boundaries of it.

2. Ferrari introduced this floor on the F2003...so why did Stepney not have any problem to race this floor in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, but in 2007 suddenly?

PlatinumZealot

SectorOne wrote: ↑
07 Nov 2013, 20:13
Quite an interesting story.
Ferrari's former head of performance management has admitted that the F2007, which won the constructors' title, used an illegal floor during the opening race of the season.
Speaking to Racecar Engineering, Stepney gave details of the 2007 'spy-gate' scandal of which he was at the centre of after he passed secret Ferrari data to McLaren's Mick Coughlan.
Before that though, he admitted he knew the team were using what he thought was an illegal rear-wing and a moveable floor which is deemed illegal under the regulations.
He discussed both developments with his former colleague, Coughlan, during an informal chat ahead of the Australian Grand Prix. "I like to try to win on a fair basis but when I was there I disagreed with something that was going on within Ferrari," he told the magazine.
"I thought it was not correct, and although I was wrong to discuss it [with a rival], winning until you get stopped was not the correct way. It went against the grain." Coughlin reported the revelation to his bosses at McLaren.
Then team principal Ron Dennis sought clarification from the FIA on the matter.
The rear-wing was declared legal, but the floor wasn't. However Dennis chose not to protest the result of the race - which Ferrari won. In a latter seen by the magazine, Dennis wrote: "We chose not to protest the result of the Australian Grand Prix even though it seems clear that Ferrari had an illegal competitive advantage."
Had McLaren protested, it's likely Ferrari would have been disqualified, resulting in the loss of ten points for Kimi Raikkonen and handing the title to Lewis Hamilton.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08190
Seems a bit odd how Mclaren could let it fly if they knew the car was illegal.

Better article here,
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... l-details/
Very interesting!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

tpe
tpe

ringo wrote: ↑
10 Nov 2013, 03:13
Someone give Hamilton his 2007 championship. :)
You mean Alonso...

PlatinumZealot

Sevach wrote: ↑
13 Nov 2013, 14:59
Manoah2u wrote:
With Kimi disqualified from the Australian GP, Alonso would have 5 wins to Hamilton's 4, Alonso winning the title.
We would have to look back at the pitstops. Remember Ham overtook Alonso on lap one. And if it werent for the pesky Ferraris he would have won his first race.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™