Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for drivers

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111650

Love the idea, but still will not bring my favorite number back

The Driver

Re: Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for driver

Didn't some drivers move to permanent numbers already? I thought Vettel did at least. Chilton tried as well, but Bianchi failed it for him.

SilverArrow10

Think its a bad idea, the World Champion should have a number 1 on his car the next year, like he earned it, as well as the teams position in the constructors, having the numbers are like another extra trophy if you finish above your rivals.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Jersey Tom

Aww how cute, it's like they're trying to be like NASCAR :wink:
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

FW17

SilverArrow10 wrote:Think its a bad idea, the World Champion should have a number 1 on his car the next year, like he earned it, as well as the teams position in the constructors, having the numbers are like another extra trophy if you finish above your rivals.
It is a argument similar to corners in a race track, do you mention it as numbers or names i.e Turn 1 silverstone or Copse

I would prefer if teams/cars took permanent numbers rather than drivers

CBeck113

SilverArrow10 wrote:Think its a bad idea, the World Champion should have a number 1 on his car the next year, like he earned it, as well as the teams position in the constructors, having the numbers are like another extra trophy if you finish above your rivals.
They proposed that only the WDC gets the 1, all others get a number connected to their superlicense.

BTW, nice one Driver :lol:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

MOWOG

Dumb idea. :wtf: At the rate that new drivers are entering the sport and then getting shuttled aside, the numbers would be into triple digits in a few seasons. Would Buemi, Speed, Bourdais, DeLaRosa, ad nauseum, be stripped of their number once they land on Formula One's scrap heap? And would anyone want a number that had been previously assigned to someone who failed?

Like I said, dumb idea. :-$
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Moxie

I'm don't like the idea, but at the same time I don't consider it to be a big deal. Watching on my HD at home I usually can't see the numbers on the cars anyway. I tend to identify the drivers by the helmet. I wish that the numbers were larger.

Trocola

MOWOG wrote:Dumb idea. :wtf: At the rate that new drivers are entering the sport and then getting shuttled aside, the numbers would be into triple digits in a few seasons. Would Buemi, Speed, Bourdais, DeLaRosa, ad nauseum, be stripped of their number once they land on Formula One's scrap heap? And would anyone want a number that had been previously assigned to someone who failed?

In MotoGP every driver has his own number and there are no problems

Manoah2u

F1 should stay F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

flynfrog

Manoah2u wrote:F1 should stay F1.

which f1?

Kiril Varbanov

Yeah, that's the biggest issue of the sport...
Anyway - http://www.formula1blog.com/formula-1/a ... c-numbers/

feni_remmen

Maybe it's the circles I travel in, but I don't know anybody who thinks this is great idea. No matter whether you think F1 is still F1, the old system (1970's ~1995) was great, the current system is appropriate. The two things that go together is team mates have paired numbers and their cars should look the same.

Anyway, the computers take care of the timing, so the numbers serve no real purpose anyway. I just don't like this change, just like I didn't like the change in 1996.

I did have a curious thought... It would surely be possible that some team could decide that their numbers are 11&12 (or anything else) and choose to tell the drivers which numbers they will use.

SilverArrow10

Trocola wrote:
MOWOG wrote:Dumb idea. :wtf: At the rate that new drivers are entering the sport and then getting shuttled aside, the numbers would be into triple digits in a few seasons. Would Buemi, Speed, Bourdais, DeLaRosa, ad nauseum, be stripped of their number once they land on Formula One's scrap heap? And would anyone want a number that had been previously assigned to someone who failed?

In MotoGP every driver has his own number and there are no problems
It was a problem for me, Different logos different numbers, started watching Moto gp last year only just realised Rossi and Lorenzo were teammates during the championship fight this year, different colours different logos it doesn't make sense to me. Off topic but I had to say it. F1 has the numbers right imo. We should recognise drivers by there helmets, the numbers belong to the teams and how well they are doing, and number 1 to the champion.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

bauc

If they give the No1 only to the current WDC and the other drivers keep their numbers I would be ok with that......
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg