Double Points @ Final Race

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall
bhall

Re: Double Points @ Final Race

It's time for another installment of "Did This Mother______ Really Just Say That Out Loud?"
Toto Wolff wrote:“It’s clear that you have to support the commercial rights holder and if TV audience dropping I think we have an obligation to listen.”

“When we got the [overwhelmingly negative] reaction afterwards it was not what we expected. You have to honour that, and I think nothing has changed since then. The last race remains double points. Let’s see what we are able to do next year.”
In what alternate universe is it even remotely possible to "honor" a group's opinion by blithely ignoring the group's opinion? What the --- kind of logic is that?

"I can't swim, so I better jump into this water as quickly as possible."

As if anyone really needed the reminder, he was forthright enough to acknowledge the sport's priority here: "...you have to support the commercial rights holder..."

Subsequently left unsaid, yet strongly implied, was: "You do not, however, have to support the group whose existence is the sole reason why commercial rights are even available in the first place."

I really wish F1 had the kind of cohesive fan base required to stage a noticeable boycott of all coverage of the last race. I'd love to see even F1 websites go dark that weekend. (Steven?) This rule is only permitted by the ubiquitous notion that there's no such thing as bad PR.

Well, how about no PR?

Bad dog! No kibble for you.

FW17

I would like to see double points in races but with a different format (to improve the show)

1) 5 Races with double points

2) Monaco, Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Abu Dhabi

3) Races not limited by laps but ends on the 2 hour mark

4) Refueling allowed

5) Engine not part of 5 per season, unlimited engine use, more than 1 for the weekend

6) No fuel flow limit

[-o<

beelsebob
beelsebob

WilliamsF1 wrote:I would like to see double points in races but with a different format (to improve the show)

1) 5 Races with double points

2) Monaco, Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Abu Dhabi

3) Races not limited by laps but ends on the 2 hour mark

4) Refueling allowed

5) Engine not part of 5 per season, unlimited engine use, more than 1 for the weekend

6) No fuel flow limit

[-o<
Heh, I'd almost like the exact opposite of you.

No double points. One power unit per season. No restrictions on fuel flow, but a limit on the amount of energy stored at the start of the race, and no refuelling. No restriction on the type of energy used or stored. Races ended after a set number of laps, no matter what amount of time has passed.

Jolle
Jolle

I say, double points at every race!

iotar__

[I would guess] Wolff was surprised by the reaction because looking from the inside of F1 it really is a minor thing. Double point are arbitrarily (not available to everyone like in Abu Dhabi) given and taken away every second race and in some aeries (finances) all the time. The thing with audience and journalists is they have either knack for blinking at the right time to miss it or really short memory. Team orders are good example of that. Second and obvious thing: you buy yourself GP with double points, nothing new. If it has to be one race it should be not Abu Dhabi, Spa or Monaco but Suzuka.

Sentiments for perfect F1 from the past are usually weird but seeing refuelling resurface again as a cure for lack of entertainment is double weird. Firstly it muddied up qualifying when (the horror) no one new who was really the fastest (weight corrected nonsense), secondly slower cars that stayed were overtaking heavier faster (again the horror) no one new who was faster. That's clarity - minor element. Major - it caused boring procession like, own strategy-vacuum-bubble races with minor strategy options (yes I know, it happened from time to time, no need to bring examples) and everything was clear after at best first pitstop. Less differences - predictability and equalising.

The trend for anything interesting to happen in F1 has to be to create differences and challenges, cars that are heavy and difficult to handle at the start but have to be fast on empty tank in qualifying and later in the race is one option. Tyres ( :oops:) are the other obvious area connected to it. It's really no accident that DRS and different tyre strategies gave just about the only proper overtake (2 direct competitors) after opening laps in Malaysia - Alonso-Hulkenberg and driver involved helped. Button-Massa-Bottas another example of how big a difference you need for something to happen. Current tyres/better car over a lap/engine not enough.

Richard
Richard

Just heard comment from Toto Wolf:

Toto Wolf - Don't forget we have that funny thing at the end with the double points
Jennie Gow (BBC) - So do you think the double points at the end is an absolute joke?
Toto Wolf - No no it is not a joke..... it is rubbish

turbof1

richard_leeds wrote:Just heard comment from Toto Wolf:

Toto Wolf - Don't forget we have that funny thing at the end with the double points
Jennie Gow (BBC) - So do you think the double points at the end is an absolute joke?
Toto Wolf - No no it is not a joke..... it is rubbish
It isn't far fetched to think being in the lead might influence the opinion. It'll be right at the end of the season, with PU's that are stretched to the limit of their life. Weird things can happen, so for mercedes this is a bit inconvenient as it forces them to develop a while longer to get enough margin by the time they arrive at the final race.

But besides that, he's absolutely right.
#AeroFrodo

oT v1
oT v1

I think Merc should be even happier for double points this season, i know its a bit worrying if they dont have everything sewn up, but the others will be stuck in 2014 development, squabbling over WCC positions, while Merc should be easily focused on 2015.
The Power of Dreams

Richard
Richard

Phew - The double points have gone :arrow: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30238076

They've also ditched the idea of standing restarts after the safety car.

Sebp

Yes, this is such a relief. So glad this stupid rule didn't affect either championship.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Sebp wrote:Yes, this is such a relief. So glad this stupid rule didn't affect either championship.
It didn't affect the front positions, but it meant some of the lower positions got swapped around.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Perez got ahead of Magnussen and Raikonnen, all other positions remained unchanged.

Double Points

10 PER 59p
11 MAG 55p
12 RAI 55p

Normal Points

10 MAG 55p
11RAI 54p
12 PER 53p
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)