Can F1 be held during winter?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: Can F1 be held during winter?

I believe tats a demo video ofan f1 going around on snow tyres not an f1 race.

WhiteBlue

The issue is not the temperature in my view. There could be more races on the southern hemishere. The big obstacle to a year long racing season is the traditional organization of race teams, officials, marshals and the specialized media. They need a break for some months unless they have some redundancy designed into the system. Unless something seriously changes with regard to essential people there will not be a 12 months season.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sebp

WhiteBlue wrote:The issue is not the temperature in my view. There could be more races on the southern hemishere. The big obstacle to a year long racing season is the traditional organization of race teams, officials, marshals and the specialized media. They need a break for some months unless they have some redundancy designed into the system. Unless something seriously changes with regard to essential people there will not be a 12 months season.
I think a year-long season would take away from the anticipation of the next one. Sometimes like this year you just want the season to be over and the playing field to be somewhat leveled again, regardless how remarkable the records are that are just being beaten. And leveling takes some time I'd imagine.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

AnthonyG

Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

humble sabot

CHT wrote:

I believe tats a demo video of an f1 going around on snow tyres not an f1 race.
:D You don't say? hahaha

I mean sure you could run races 12 months a year but why not one or two on other surfaces: redbull has proved that an F1 car can 'run' on imperfect tracks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEHQJn_hxo and snow as above
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

CHT
CHT

Actually I am asking if its physically and technical possible to run a F1 race during the cold winter month, not saying we should expect F1 race to last through the year.

Under extreme cold weather condition, how will that affect the performance of tyres drivers and even engine

blokkie
blokkie

CHT wrote:Actually I am asking if its physically and technical possible to run a F1 race during the cold winter month, not saying we should expect F1 race to last through the year.

Under extreme cold weather condition, how will that affect the performance of tyres drivers and even engine
Not to mention snow that clutters the sidepods :)

FW17

Remember the Imola tests in 2002 and 2003? forgot the temp but the light conditions were appalling

I guess the cold damp track with snow off track will be of lesser issue than visibility and sometime then fog may set in too

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8uVDN3tMIU[/youtube]

MOWOG

Perhaps there are other competitive activities the drivers could participate in off season to keep the fans amused? Can't you just imagine Vettel and Webber hammering out their differences whilst Barbie Jeep racing? :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-KMsc45lM[/youtube]
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.