F1Technical Racing [F1T]

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: F1Technical Racing [F1T]

timbo wrote:Surely ringo runs aero department? We can cut the xpenses on windtunnel!
It's all about the elipses...

Anyone know of any good relatively cheap racing simulators? Gran Turismo is good for learning a track layout, but there has to be something where you can slap on a certain number for DF, some for power, gearing etc. and have a resemblance of a car. I can build a mock cockpit and slap a computer monitor on it.

I need to figure out the split between race operating costs and factory operating costs. The factory costs should be able to be scaled back significantly.

X, are you the reference or will this be design by committee?
Honda!

theblackangus
theblackangus

dren wrote:
timbo wrote:Surely ringo runs aero department? We can cut the xpenses on windtunnel!
Anyone know of any good relatively cheap racing simulators? Gran Turismo is good for learning a track layout, but there has to be something where you can slap on a certain number for DF, some for power, gearing etc. and have a resemblance of a car. I can build a mock cockpit and slap a computer monitor on it.
I certainly don't know what the actual teams use, but I believe RFactor has a "professional" version that is more flexible than the consumer version, maybe a possibility to work/partner with them.

I would like to help contribute an any way possible. My background is also around 20 years IT, the last 7 spent as a consultant in the financial sector.

And to Kiril's point there will be a variety of software functions needed including: Simulator, CFD, Inventory Management, Communications Infrastructure, Version Tracking Systems, Design tools, Data management tools, HR systems, etc.

An interesting experiment would be to map out the software functions needed to support the team and see what can be done with as little cost/complexity as possible.

xpensive
xpensive

dren wrote: ...
I need to figure out the split between race operating costs and factory operating costs. The factory costs should be able to be scaled back significantly.

X, are you the reference or will this be design by committee?
This situation calls for a delegate-upwards, ask the TP!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

flynfrog

Tomba wrote:Hmm interesting. "Social design" is born ;)
I guess after deciding the basic concepts, we'd still have to optimise the whole thing ;)

Anyway, we should also hire Reca to strengthen our aerodynamics department.

xpensive
xpensive

I believe this great forum has several members ready to contribute in the "vortex, separation and stalling" department.

But as TD of this new team, I'm in desperate need for a straight-talker to clear out all this hocus-pocus for me!

Any takers?

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:I´d be interested to run the component testing department ...
You're already hired, but for other purposes.

Shrieker

I've covered motoGP/wsbk news for websites for 2+ years, and done an interview with a certain 3x World Champion (ahem 8) ). I think I could help with PR :mrgreen: It's a very technical job you know :-"
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

xpensive
xpensive

Can you master the same pc-vocabulary as richard then, being available 24/7 to respond to stoopid questions like he can?

If so, I think we have our man Tomba!

Shrieker

In Turkey, when people are questioned about a specific skillset we tend to say "ne iş olsa yaparım abi".

It roughly translates as "I can do any job, no problem" :mrgreen:

So no problems for me there :D
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

hollus

I'd like to propose Bhallg2k as our regulations expert. With all the regulation boxes, he's one who can think out of the box.

Rivals, not enemies.

Moxie
Moxie

dren wrote: hospitality - Do we need this? Maybe score a sponsorship from a drink company and they can foot the bill.

Yes, it is an absolutely essential part of fundraising. If too much responsibility is given to the sponsor or a subcontractor then there would possibly be problems with consistency and quality of experience. While a sponsor may foot the bill for entertainment, the team must take responsibility for legal and cultural compliance in each hosting nation, dietary and possibly physical needs of the guests. If a team wants a patron to fork up tens to hundreds of millions of dollars, then the team should never drop the ball on the entertainment experience.

If the rep for your biggest sponsor is a big fan of another sports team, then it would be wise to occasionally pay a member of that team to attend a race.

A sponsor has a seafood allergy...better not serve Lobster.

Details Details Details.

dren

I was going to serve PBR and peanuts.
Honda!

xpensive
xpensive

We need someone to handle the outfits, and I'm not talking Puma or H&M, we need a man who knows his Armani!

CBeck113
CBeck113

Armani? You want a high-class outfit, I'd suggest Burberry or a company like that, but just not Lagerfeld - I fear that he's Bernie's evil brother...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

xpensive
xpensive

I would prefer Hugo Boss of course, though that's a tad too much Ron Dennis in this context, but Burberry could work.